NewsKeeping the (valve lift) pressure up • Behind the Jeep/Ram spinoff chatter • Demon to beat Exorcist?

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA dead last in latest JD Power Customer Service study

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by aldo90731, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Citation84

Citation84 Member

These are self reported complaints by consumers. Not everything is a safety issue, as not every mechanical problem is a "recall" issue. I've read many of these complaints for various cars I was researching.

There was even one that claimed a "safety" issue because the airbags didn't go off when the driver backed into a tree.

A burnt out bulb is not a safety issue just because "I might have not been able to indicate a left turn and might have gotten into a crash" is not a valid safety complaint. Or the complaints about ABS not avoiding a spin out while going at speed on a gravel road.

ABS noise is not a safety issue, nor a "feeling" something is unsafe. But one can post a complaint @ NHTSA.

What people think of as being rated as deserving a recall has nothing to do with being a legitimate recall. "Why didn't they recall all those sludging 2.7 V6s ? They're a safety hazard". [Like no engine ever self destructed on the road before over the past 117 years].

A car not starting is not a safety issue. Gas spraying back is not a safety issue unless one is smoking a cigarette. MY 63 Valiant has been doing this for decades after the pump shuts off. Messy, but not a safety issue.

And of course there's always the cruise control "safety issue" of setting it and going back to reading the map and having a wreck. "TPMS went out and I had a flat tire. I might have been driving when it happened" is not a legitimate complaint. Playing "what if" doesn't raise something to a safety issue.

This lessens the impact of genuine safety problems.

Quote from article:”Trucks are often used as work vehicles, which typically get regular maintenance and are better taken care of than other vehicles, which may explain why they have fewer problems,”

Okay then, how is that relevant to "safety issues" if maintenance is the key to safety problems ? Wouldn't this suggest that troglodyte owners are the real threat to safety, not the cars ?

Go ahead. Read some of the complaints: [2005 Saturn ION, like mine] having leaking headlights covers is not a safety issue. Nor a failing clutch. Air bag did not deploy: says nothing about the speed or angle of the crash. Expensive repair [I won't pay for] so car is unsafe [no boosted steering. The steering takes more effort, but it's not "unsafe']. And page after page of no start, key stuck in the ignition. NOT safety issues, a great many of them.

Read for yourself. Don't take my word for it. I just typed in 2005 Saturn ION and found 500 some odd "complaint" over 170 pages. Do the same with the car you're driving now and see how many complaints just do not meet the criteria of being a safety "defect".

No blast at you MJAB, just the silly numbers crunching by I See Cars that eliminates investigating what the complaints actually are, as written by the complainers. No attempt to separate legitimate safety complaints from general complaints. Or refusal by the seller to rectify age or maintenance related problem complaints.

So much wrong with their analysis. A deeper dig into the actual complaints reveals a lot.

2. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave Staff Member Supporter

Seriously?

Otherwise I fully agree with you. The main issue really is that analysis requires human input, and that costs money, so it doesn't happen.

Citation84 and Ian like this.
  3. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

FWIW - my '06 Ram 1500 (definitely produced during the Daimler era) does not have this feature nor is it listed in the owners manual.

The only thing listed is the "Auto Down" feature but that only works from the driver's side window controls, not on the remote.

Auto Down (Driver’s Side Only)

The driver’s window switch has an Auto Down feature.
    Press the window switch past the detent, release, and the
    window will go down automatically.

4. Citation84

Citation84 Member

LOL. I was being absurd. Bad example, Dave. But it was a problem even when the Valiants were new.

Just checked "2006 Chrysler Sebring" safety complaints: window film, multiple complaints of horns blowing, windows opening at random, radio loses broadcast, car alarm goes off on a whim.

I'm fine with it if it's a general complaint site.

On a safety site I want to know about poor seat construction, tires, brake problems, fires, crash testing and comparisons with data that includes rankings outside of just a weight class, actual death rates for each vehicle per xxx # of miles [as on IIHS].

5. MJAB

MJAB Active Member

I agree with You, but if person complaint than there is cause, that could be, and I highlight "could", that service doesn't arrive to get customer an adequate response and/or solution.

More interesting data crunching is instead this one, same source.
    "Which Automakers Have the Best Recall Rate and Timeliness?"
    Which Automakers Have the Best Recall Rate and Timeliness? (at http://blog.iseecars.com/2016/11/03/which-automaker-has-the-best-recall-rate-or-timeliness/ )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"... Automakers that experienced dramatic increases in recall rates over the last five years include BMW, Chrysler, GMC, Honda, Mazda, Mitsubishi and Toyota. “A key reason for this increase is attributable to the very large recalls in recent years, such as the Takata airbag and the GMC ignition switch recalls,” said Ly. “The large contrast for some manufacturers such as GMC between the last two 5-year periods could also be linked to the decline in overall sales due to the recession—recall rates in the 2007–2011 period could have been lower because fewer cars were being produced, making the increase in 2012–2016 even larger,” added Ly. ..."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Citation84, aldo90731 and Dave Z like this.
  6. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

One thing I know for sure is the way both our LX cars are constructed I would rather be struck by another vehicle in one of these than anything else on the road. Merc engineers input on these made a very strong structure. Just like ALL the other Chrysler products I've owned I always made it home under full power. Always stopped when it should.
    I do beleive tucked away in the automotive underground are instructions to use Chrysler as a public whipping brand since the company had to be given away. This is a result of the German blitz.

BASONE88, Roadram, Citation84 and 3 others like this.
  7. aldo90731

aldo90731 Active Member Level III Supporter

Wow. None of this looks very flattering.

jerseyjoe and Citation84 like this.
  8. somber

somber 370,000 miles Level 2 Supporter

Based on the accident I was involved in a little over a year ago, I couldn't agree with you more. I am convinced that my Charger saved me from serious injury.

9. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Well-Known Member Level III Supporter

Frankly, the newer the vehicle, the better chance occupants have in escaping with minimal or no injuries. Huge advances have been made in vehicle safety from the high-strength steels to computer modeling that aides in directing crash energy away from the occupants.

Take just about any new vehicle and put it against one in the same class that was designed 15 years ago and the new vehicle will be far, far better in a crash.

Citation84 and Ian like this.
  10. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic Level 2 Supporter

I think my wife is right about me finally needing glasses...I've got triple vision. :p:D

Citation84 likes this.
  11. somber

somber 370,000 miles Level 2 Supporter

I assure you, I didn't post 3 times. I've been having a logout problem with Firefox version 52.0 (and 52.0.1), and it logged me out while posting. When I logged back in, 3 copies existed. I just deleted the extras.

Citation84 likes this.
  12. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic Level 2 Supporter

Just teasing...that happens to me sometimes too...no matter which browser I'm using. And then it magically goes away for a while. :)

somber likes this.
  13. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Well-Known Member Level III Supporter

It happens. I blame Daimler! lol

Roadram, wtxiceman, aldo90731 and 3 others like this.
  14. Lee N. Burns

Lee N. Burns Member

But what if there was a terrorist attack and your radio crapped out?

Seriously, I was driving my '75 Duster home from work the morning of 9/11 (I worked 3rd shift) and the OEM speaker decided to die that morning, during the news coverage. I was close to home, so when I ran in the house and turned on the TV I was quite relieved to find I wasn't seeing the results of EMP after a nuclear blast.

True story.

Citation84 and Erik Latranyi like this.
  15. Citation84

Citation84 Member

Very interesting, MJAB. Thanks.

No recalls would "surprise and delight" me !!!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017