NewsThis really is the 2018 Wrangler “JL” • Red vs black keys: Real-world Hellcat performance • Windsor loses Transport

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA+GM+VW

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by Dave Z, Mar 7, 2017.

1. aldo90731

aldo90731 Active Member Level III Supporter

You would be impacted in three ways:

1. You overpaid for a vehicle that didn't perform as promised
    2. Once VW is done rejiggering your car to comply with emission standards, your fun to drive TDI will become a total dog to drive --this was the crux of the deceit: buyers thought they could have their cake and eat it too, in the form of a FTD car that yielded 50 MPG. As the saying goes, if it is too good to be true, it probably is.
    3. You will have a hell of a time reselling your car in this country

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  2. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Active Member

Exactly Aldo! That would p@ss me off. Not the actual stunt they pulled, but all the fall out.

aldo90731 likes this.
  3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave Staff Member Supporter

You know, you CAN write “piss me off,” and why are you trying to bypass profanity filters?

4. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Member

@aldo90731

VW is part family owned, part state owned, part european central bank etc 0% real interest rate-funded, part controlled directly and legally by its trade unions, has epic scale in both eu and china, large if very loss-making scale in latam, has brands for all tastes (barring the taste for Italian and Americana automobiles, that is!) and in all segments+price points, a gigantic and potent PR+marketing machine, direct patronage from no-less than the German federal government (therefore: the EU), etc etc.

The only thing it is poor at, then, is.....return on invested capital, on investments.

Dieselgate and its wake is nowhere near being any sort of exitential threat to it, since it is NOTHING like an American firm that can and must go bankrupt if needed, if inevitable. Besides, when even GM and Chrysler and nearly Ford too went so in 2008: they got bailedout: again! ;-)

Ergo: all VW needs is a deal or three or five to boost scale, lower costs at an aggregate level while it restructures and attritionally (i.e., slowly) improves its own core problems: namely vast over-'manning', a very high cost structure, low eu market margins, etc.

The shortest way out, then? Why obviously (a) find a way to make money in the future in the destined to be large American market and (b) find a way to make money in LatAm.

Who does both things well, and assuredly do even better in both regions foreseeably?

Why: FCA! (they've already done a few smaller deals in china, the usa and in india since dieselgate, so.)

Needless to say: the cost of capital for both VW and fca in order to finance the short term costs of such a deal is more or less ZERO (esp in europe.) They'd both be financially daft NOT to do such a 'big deal' now/soon!

Not that existence of either firm is at stake, well certainly not VW's, although on that front too who knows these days of such heightened geo-political and geo-economic risks.....?

Alexbucks likes this.
  5. somber

somber 370,000 miles Level 2 Supporter

An interesting quote from that article shows that Audi has identified some scapegoats:

Audi last month said it had fired four engineers from its diesel division for "gross breach of duty."

Now, I'm not working in that company and have no inside knowledge, but I'm very skeptical that 4 engineers were able to pull this off without the knowledge (and possibly direction) of their superiors.

UN4GTBL and aldo90731 like this.
  6. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Active Member

Just trying to get my point across without visually offending anyone. Not an intended filter bypass. Either way I was getting called out on it though right?

CherokeeVision likes this.
  7. mopar22

mopar22 Member

You really need an open mind and do some research. Maybe 10 years ago they were crap but now as long as they're on the new mqb platform they run way better then the cars we have at fca. Issues are way down and interior is worlds better when looking at price points. The mk7 gti and golf r are on the new playform while the golf is on the old, just look how much more reliable those two cars are compared to the golf

Erik Latranyi likes this.
  8. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Active Member

I just know what I hear from people who own them today. More trouble than they're worth. Let's not even go down the road of 10 or more years ago. If you like them, you can have my share.

9. mopar22

mopar22 Member

If they're on the old platform yes that would be the case but they're still moving cars around with their new platform like I was saying. People talk bad about the Jetta and golf and whatnot because those are still on the old platform. But the new on is way better lighter weight and stronger with better build quality even with the ones in Mexico.

10. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Active Member

There's no doubt they have to do something. I've seen a few people move to Subaru after they tired of repairs. A better vehicle IMO.
    I think the best vehicle VW had was the FCA built Routan. :p

11. freshforged

freshforged Active Member Level 2 Supporter

Not when we have VWAG management getting charged with fraud and intentionally evading federal regulations they're not.

12. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Active Member

Yes, they fired the engineers because they're the ones who were willing to put their jobs on the line. No doubt! They need to throw management through the door first! But we all knew management were going to be the one's who "didn't know anything about it."

aldo90731 and Dave Z like this.
  13. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Member

So disgusting that relatively low level "disposable" employees should be thrown under the bus....(or is it microbus?)......in order to save the hides of those who will probably go unpunished.

And VAG's oh-so cozy relationship with the German Federal Government......(not to mention the state of Lower Saxony)......will continue.

I think I'm going to be sick now.

14. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Active Member

Of the engineers I've worked with over the years, I don't know any who would sign off on, or take responsibility of anything that they felt was not compliant to the standards they knew. And certainly not to be anyone's "fall guy" We're all human and make mistakes, but this BS was no mistake.

freshforged likes this.
  15. auric

auric Member

Sergio disagrees. Marchionne plays hard to get: 'zero interest' in VW merger - LeftLaneNews (at http://www.leftlanenews.com/marchionne-plays-hard-to-get-no-interest-94989.html )