NewsDemon has a freakin’ TransBrake • Pritchett’s Challenger Drag Pak isn’t a Demon • Ram Longhorn to match trailers

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA+GM+VW

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by Dave Z, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Member

Why not a variable geometry: hugely capital-conserving, cost reducing and profitability boosting Several Deals: with say Google for car IT, with say vw for gasoline and diesel power trains and just-financially and say LatAm, with say post-Opel gm in Europe and with cadillac+alfa+Maserati but not the rest, with a Chinese or Korean firm for magneti Marelli. Plus say purely financial investors for just-the-brands-minus ip or manufacturing ( jeep, ram, Maserati, Alfa)?

2. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work... Ad-Free Member

His comments surrounding "teaching" North Americans about DDCTs was about as condescending as one can be. I do think he thinks very little of N.A. clientele.

UN4GTBL, Ian and Erik Latranyi like this.
  3. GasAxe

GasAxe Active Member

It was condescending, but I don't think it was a complete damnation of the NA customer. Looking at the drivetrains and systems introduced since, I'd say the lesson was learned (maybe;)).

4. BobbiBigWheels

I think that in confidence, he blames the consumer for the failure.

Ian likes this.
  5. GasAxe

GasAxe Active Member

Maybe. Probably.:) But much like the drive in the 1970's to put the US on the metric system, just because it makes sense and would be good for us, it doesn't mean we'll accept it.

6. BobbiBigWheels

12 Inches is 1 ft.
    100 cm is 1 M.

It still doesn't make sense why you guys fought that battle.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  7. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Active Member

I have always found it ironic how the metric system was claimed to be all scientific and stuff. Based on some known something rather than some arbitrary thing.
    Length of a meter versus length of a foot for instance.

Yet as the decades have passed they keep changing the definition of what represents that meter.
    First it was one thing. Then it was another. Now it is something else.
    All different ways to measure the same thing. Only because they keep finding new ways to measure more precisely.
    What is so scientific about constant change?

8. BobbiBigWheels

A meter has been 1000 mm, 100 cm, 10 dcm for as long as I've been alive. I like to use inches for describing small distances. "Open the window an inch" vs "Open the window 2.5 cms"

UN4GTBL likes this.
  9. GasAxe

GasAxe Active Member

Because 'Murica.:cool: But hey, at least we signify engines with litres now!:D

UN4GTBL and jimboy like this.
  10. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Active Member

But what it is based off of has changed time and again.

The metre was originally defined in 1793 as one ten-millionth of the distance from the equator to the North Pole. In 1799, it was redefined in terms of a prototype metre bar (the actual bar used was changed in 1889). In 1960, the metre was redefined in terms of a certain number of wavelengths of a certain emission line of krypton-86. In 1983, the current definition was adopted.

So the origin is as unscientific and basically made up as the foot.
    It's just that everything is based on 10 of everything because Europeans apparently had trouble with division. :D

wtxiceman and jimboy like this.
  11. DarkSky

DarkSky Cruising Around Level III Supporter

Yes. Because a 1.691 gallon engine sounds awkward.

GasAxe and jimboy like this.
  12. Dan Minick

Dan Minick Active Member Level III Supporter

The length of the kings foot isn't arbitrary....

jimboy likes this.
  13. aldo90731

aldo90731 Active Member Level III Supporter

Whose king? Which foot? Did he trim his toe nails?

14. srm3500

srm3500 Member

Okay, hows 'bout 6.5 quart engine?:p:D

DarkSky likes this.
  15. aldo90731

aldo90731 Active Member Level III Supporter