NewsDemon has a freakin’ TransBrake • Pritchett’s Challenger Drag Pak isn’t a Demon • Ram Longhorn to match trailers

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA+GM+VW

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by Dave Z, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Nell_Z

Nell_Z New Member

GM wouldn't want any part of that. We're more likely to see GM partner with Renault-Nissan or Hyundai before VW-FCA. Or, run their own large empire with ties into PSA. Whatever happens though, I think GM has made it very clear how much it doesn't want to be with FCA.

With that, though, VW does need to bring down that debt they've acquired, and what better way to do it than with super profitable FCA?

Ah Chrysler, always getting tossed around for money.

UN4GTBL and 77 Monaco Brougham like this.
  2. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Member

Many options open for fca: provided the 2018 financial targets are close-to achieved.

For eg., Spinoff the brands, get say vw as an investor in them, alongwith others: seperate the manufacturing, backend side of things, without say vw needing to invest there. Share r&d, engineering esp on the ev and IT stuff. Or vice versa. or both, with one large partner for one and another one for the other.

Or just very large scale sharing of say future powertrains, plus ev etc technology, while everything else remains un-merged. Plus say Skoda-s as Chryslers, plus fca helps vw in latam. Shared purchasing in europe. perhaps shared dealerships and service provision in many countries (e.g., brazil, india, china....) i.e., no full-on 'merger' needed?

There are many ways to structure such a deal (say with vw) that would avoid the operational pitfalls of a 'merger', whether of 'equals' or not, the prime one being palatability to trade unions and the German+Italian governments, as also anti-trust authorities.

Let's see. What's for certain it seems is: some big 'deal(s)' will happen soon enough featuring fca, inevitably imo. imo GM would still be the preferred 'target' for one, on m's and Jelkann's part.

Alexbucks likes this.
  3. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Member

If Marchionne ever does get his merger with VAG, he should get down on his hands and knees, and pray 5 times a day while facing in the direction of the US EPA for the rest of his life ! ! ! :D:p:D

aldo90731 likes this.
  4. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Active Member

I wonder if the Porsche and Piech families (who got a big stake of VW) know about the "Jeep curse"? Are they the ones who could end that curse?

5. mopar22

mopar22 Member

Can i have a summary of the curse?

6. hmk123

hmk123 Active Member Level III Supporter

I hope the Agnelli's have enough pride to not go for a VW merger. Yes, finances and money are important. But it isn't everything...

7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave Staff Member Supporter

Including sale of an unwanted brand (Lancia), joint development of diesels, sale of a parts division...

Prabhjot and CivoLee like this.
  8. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Member

A full-on merger?....PLEASE DEAR GOD!......NO!...NO!...NO!

But......what about FCA & VAG having a percentage stake of cross-ownership......like Renault / Nissan, where each company gets to retain its autonomy?
    I think a lot of us could live with that.

Prabhjot, UN4GTBL, tlc and 1 other person like this.
  9. Stéphane Dumas

10. Stéphane Dumas

Yeah, I think it's a more realistic plausible scenario.

11. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Active Member

12. aldo90731

aldo90731 Active Member Level III Supporter

The common denominator across FIAT and VW is that both have struggled to get a foothold in the US.

VW was supposed to be selling 800,000 units here by 2014 but, three years later, they are nowhere near that figure.

That is, unless, they meant 800,000 pissed off customers, or 800,000 buybacks, or 800,000 cubic tons of pollutants...

wtxiceman, UN4GTBL and JavelinAMX like this.
  13. aldo90731

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  14. FGA cheerleader

FGA cheerleader Member

Lost sales? Where? Not in China or EU.

15. aldo90731

In North America. VW incentives are through the roof.

Seriously? Are you now going to argue VW, too?