NewsThis really is the 2018 Wrangler “JL” • Red vs black keys: Real-world Hellcat performance • Windsor loses Transport

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA+GM+VW

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by Dave Z, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave Staff Member Supporter

Fiat the brand is struggling in the US but Fiat the company is not. Fiat the company does quite well with Ram, Jeep, and Dodge. Maserati’s doing well compared to its old numbers, too.

See As VW exits crisis, the press spins next chapter like pirate radio

Prabhjot, freshforged and Ian like this.
  2. FGA cheerleader

FGA cheerleader Member

VW brand or a VW AG (VAG)? IMO, they are not bothered when for Audi and Porsche all goes better than ever before. They even didn't introduce MQB Passat to US and there is no MQB Jetta. VW brand is for now all into crossovers and IMO we should judge it at the end of 2020 at the earliest.

3. aldo90731

aldo90731 Active Member Level III Supporter

Indeed, I was referring to FIAT, not FCA.

I don't think VW is exiting anything, yet, as that latest Audi news reminds us.

Unfortunately, the longer these headlines linger, the more time they have to impact consumers' purchase behavior, and to spread to other brands in the portfolio.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  4. aldo90731

Here's a factoid to help put things in perspective:

US Sales YTD

Audi 41,000
    VW 62,60
    Porsche 11,000

Dodge, Ram, GMC, Mercedes, BMW and Lexus outsell VW; with Mazda, Buick and Chrysler not far behind.

So far Audi and Porsche have been spared the brunt of Dieselgate. But If the crisis infects Audi and/or Porsche, VWAG can kiss US goodbye.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  5. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave Staff Member Supporter

Audi has indeed escaped completely. VW is crying all the way to the bank about lost VW sales. “Our low profit cars are selling poorly, sob, good thing our high profit cars are selling crazy well.”

50 shades of gray did wonders for them.

Alexbucks, Prabhjot and aldo90731 like this.
  6. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Active Member

VW has the worst POS cars on the road. I wouldn't take one for free and would put them easily lower than Hyundai and Kia on my purchase scale. Other than the money, I think they would do more harm than good to FCA. FCA is already on the bottom of the Quality scale, as it is. I certainly wouldn't want VW in the mix. JMO of course, but if a tie up is the case in the future, I'll be looking for another company to buy from.

7. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Well-Known Member Level III Supporter

I think the whole DieselGate is already out of the minds of most buyers. The Audi news today was big in the auto world, but not front page stuff. Trump's meeting with the industry is getting more attention.

Consumers will put the whole scandal behind them pretty quickly.

8. aldo90731

You'd be surprised, Erik. Affluent buyers, in particular, are very well informed.

We may not see an immediate response in the market as owners are tied up in their leases, etc. But the more these news continue to trickle down, the harder it becomes for the brands involved to retain existing owners.

But I agree that Porsche, for instance, may be more protected than Audi in that Porsche buyers are going for the performance, caché and brand heritage. But even then, some mainstream buyers considering a Panamera, Cayman or Macan may be dissuaded if they think Porsche, too, is implicated.

PS: Lexus and Toyota haven't yet fully recovered here to pre-recall levels. And they likely won't for a generation, if ever.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  9. Erik Latranyi

I totally agree that affluent buyers are better informed, but I would think they would forgive more easily due to brand loyalty rather than switch to BMW or Mercedes.......or now Alfa.

Audi did suffer from the 60 Minutes Unintended Acceleration stories for more than a decade, so I see your point.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
    valiant67 and aldo90731 like this.
  10. aldo90731

Ah, yes, the Audi Unintended Acceleration scandal.

It would be the biggest tragedy to manage the greatest comeback in automotive history, only to lose it all again.

At the moment Audi is nowhere near there, though.

UN4GTBL, Ian and Erik Latranyi like this.
  11. FGA cheerleader

FGA cheerleader Member

I don't see a connection between TDI and TSI/TFSI buyer but OK if someone thinks there is.

I'm from Europe and I do know how VAG leave all of this without even a scare. And they have more than 20% European market, actually it's closer to 25%. And European market is dominated by fleet sales, company cars. For example Audi A4 is there stronger than C-Class or 3 Series.

Prabhjot likes this.
  12. Erik Latranyi

I know that most of my corporate friends in Hungary drive fleet A4s

13. aldo90731

If someone tracked the news over time we would notice a pattern like this:

Late 2015 - Dieselgate! OMG, the sky is falling!
    Early 2016 - VWAG is strong, this won't hurt
    Late 2016 - Scandal runs deeper than anyone thought; it's gonna cost a lot
    Early 2017 - It's gonna cost much more than anyone thought; may spread to other brands
    Late 2017 - ...

UN4GTBL likes this.
  14. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Active Member

As a consumer, I wouldn't give a rats behind about what VW was doing to fool the government regs. If the vehicle was safe and ran properly to get me where I wanted to go and wasn't full of problems, it wouldn't deter me. But I would be concerned that I may have paid a premium price for a vehicle and then found out it wasn't as good on fuel as VW told me it would be, or my resale value has now been greatly reduced for this "premium" (Supposedly) vehicle. That would put it right in line with being just a good or less then every other diesel on the road, without the glorious and bloated claims (Lies). And it certainly might have me second guessing them as to what else they would lie about. Hard to trust it.

Ian likes this.
  15. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Active Member

Local VW dealer has closed his VW only location and consolidated it on his Volvo/BMW/Mazda location.
    But it does appear to be some work going on inside the service area of the former VW location.
    He might be moving his brands around like chess pieces or getting ready to carry even another brand.
    Between his four locations he has Nissan, VW, Volvo, BMW, Mazda, Buick, Cadillac, GMC.