AF: FCA Has Chinese Suitors | Page 28 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA Has Chinese Suitors

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by 1969 300, Aug 14, 2017.

1. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

All he's doing is making philosophical extension of what's already happening today. If BMW can share its diesel engines with a low level Toyota, ZF can put its 8HP transmission in everything from a Dodge Charger to a Bentley Mulsanne, Volkswagen can build a Seat Ibiza and VW Atlas from the same platform, and Renault can make a city car with Mercedes-Benz, is what he said actually that crazy?

danbek likes this.
  2. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

In his Auto News opinion column, Keith Crain says FCA keeps getting passed around: FCA just gets passed around

He writes: "Chrysler, through its many iterations, seemed to have abandoned the auto business long ago. It is just a company for buying and selling."

I rarely agree with him. But this time he is spot on. Especially about FCA over the past few years.

3. 97 plymouth neon expresso

97 plymouth neon expresso Well-Known Member

Best part is the 2nd comment by Mark Smith on how the Chinese could most certainly afford FCA, they practically already own the USA, (2 1/2 trillion dollars in debt to China)

4. CudaPete

Level 2 Supporter

Chrysler had V-12's and V-16's?

5. Hank600ES

Hank600ES Well-Known Member

Just for accuracy, he said he could afford one failure, maybe two. I'll give him credit for surviving the disaster of the 200 and Dart and Fiat USA. If those cars were successful, FCA today would be huge.

Donte Lindsey likes this.
  6. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Maybe not clear enough, thats in the Chrysler lineup 1934 6.3L or 384.8 cu in 150 hp.

7. BASONE88

Supporter

The premise seems to be that FCA is in some sort of financial peril, like Chrysler LLC was in 2007-2008, combined with Sergio being worse than the whole-scourge of DCX(for Chrysler et al). It's false.;)

There is simply no comparison.

djsamuel, danbek, Prabhjot and 5 others like this.
  8. aldo90731

"Seems" being the keyword.

He is the scourge --your word-- for no other reason that he is incapable of projecting any sort of ongoing business stability for longer than 10 minutes.

I am coming to the conclusion that he gets bored too easily.

JavelinAMX likes this.
  9. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

The way Sergio behaves is not ideal to me, but I really appreciate his ability to flex on short term plans while keep the long term goal of debt reduction forefront. I find him to be very strategic and forward looking. He may not always do what I would do, but then he has much better information re: FCA than I and frankly, the task of running FCA is likely beyond my abilities as a CEO. That said of have seen many of my peers run companies into the ground by refusing to change direction when the market changes. That is a forte of Sergio imo.

Prabhjot, ScramFan, BASONE88 and 2 others like this.
  10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

It's a strength and a weakness. Changing plans to meet market needs is good within reason; do it to often and you get wasted money and severe burnout, and confuse customers.

11. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Roll out Fonzi... this thread is way over the shark..... Just sayin :D

djsamuel and ScramFan like this.
  12. aldo90731

Clearly I don't share your admiration for his "strategic ability".

I have access to forward-looking consumer data similar to that FCA subscribes to, which most people don't get to see: I don't usually see him acting in accordance to it. Instead, I see him fixated on stock prices and reacting primarily to accounting and financial information.

While his financial intentions may be in future, financial data tends to be, for the most part, the outcome of business performance, not the other way around.

Just because we don't hear Honda, Toyota, GM or Ford adjusting their plans doesn't mean they don't. The difference is the executives of those automakers value discretion more than they crave public attention, and keep that type of information to themselves.

The type of flexibility I used to admire in Chrysler was that which gave us back the convertible, the 1994 Dodge Ram, the original Dodge Viper, the Chrysler PT Cruiser, the cab forward design, the Dodge Neon, the 2005 Chrysler 300C, etc. I don't see that type of flexibility that results in consumer shock and awe coming from FCA --unless we count the constant drama of FCA's future as today's shock and awe.

#552 aldo90731, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  13. BASONE88

Supporter

See, now..there you go again(loss in translation). My word, true enough, but the reference was to DCX - not Sergio. The premise that he equates to DCX is incorrect.

DAGAR and ScramFan like this.
  14. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

15. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Single car sharing tends to work IF the boundaries are very clear.

16. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

No, he does not get bored, he is on a mission to prove his book is right and everyone else is wrong.

Marchionne is so convinced that capital costs are too high and he has a better idea that he cannot help talk about his solution of industry consolidation in some form. More recently he is talking about suppliers taking over manufacturing full powertrains that would be shared across auto brands.

ZF is a bad example because ZF cannot produce all the transmissions needed. That is why they license out the technology. But imagine if ZF did scale up and supply all transmissions. Another company scales up and produces a 3.0 V6 gasoline engine that can be used by Ford, GM, Honda, FCA, Volkswagen, etc.

His idea is that the capital required to build engines and other parts is too intensive.

But he does not look at the downside that can be summed-up in one example ------ Takata.

jimboy, Donte Lindsey, somber and 4 others like this.
  17. wolfsblood07

wolfsblood07 Active Member

If Chrysler goes to China, then all of us who own Mopars will be forced to deal with a Chinese company for parts and service. That's another aspect to this to think about.

18. valiant67

valiant67 ...

And it wasn't that long ago, Sergio was complaining about the high profits the suppliers made.

JavelinAMX and Erik Latranyi like this.
  19. adaptabl

adaptabl Active Member

No worse than an Italian company.

jerseyjoe and Donte Lindsey like this.
  20. Donte Lindsey

Donte Lindsey Active Member

Most parts come from China. I dont see it any worse than Italian or German. I'm more pissed at the Germans and Bob Eaton then I am at China.

jerseyjoe, valiant67 and BASONE88 like this.