AF: FCA has unveiled 2.0 liter 330 HP engine with electric supercharger | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA has unveiled 2.0 liter 330 HP engine with electric supercharger

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by T_690, Jul 16, 2020.

1. quadamage76

quadamage76 Active Member

Exactly, frankly speaking I don't understand why Nettuno has not been placed in the GTA-M... You can us ethe stickers you want, but the point is that Alfaromeo is NOT simply the brand who made Alfasud and Arna. In the past it was in full competition with Maserati which, by the way, is a brand I also love. I think the management is simply trying to avoid internal competition, which can be ok for Fiat brand against other similar brands, but it's not correct for Alfa and Stelvio. I hope we'll not face an Alfeugeot atfer years of Alfiat. Marchionne understood this very well.

2. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

The main problem for many automakers is that ZF has not yet put into production the ZF 8HP hybrid.
    If I am not right they should start production in 2022.

I think the yhad problems in industrialization of the product, 2022 is a very late date since new emissions rules that were introduced in Europe, China, ...
    For European Union is at least 2 years too late.

3. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Because Netunno was planned for Alfa Romeo but another one. It was 8C today known as Maserati MC20.

I'm pretty much sure that we will see Netunno with less than 630HP and with wet sump and electric assist. Will it go to Alfa? Who knows.
    Netunno as the engine with pre-chamber.

Marchionne? AFAIK ever since he joined ex Fiat Group his plan was to join Maserati and Alfa together
    Part of the plan was Arese R&D. As you know that's place where 1.75 TBi was developed. But from what I've heard Alfa Romeo R&D in Arese was responsible for development of the all new V6 engine family. One was 2.7 single turbo while the other was 3.3 twin turbo. Power level from around 300 to mid 500 HP for Euro 5. D both was cancelled and R&D closed because of crisis and Chrysler buyout and Chrysler had Pentastar V6 under development which was more suitable for mass production.

On the platform side we would see more Alfiats for C and maybe D segment. But E and up was planned on RWD and share with Maserati.

But I wouldn't call all Alfiats bad or poor Alfas. And I think that C segment Alfas must be FWD based.

4. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

ZF 8HP is in the production but not the 4th generation.

Let's say that 2nd and 3rd generations are not desirable for MHEV. They are P1 MHEV and not P2. 4th gen could be P1 or P2 and of course it can have more powerful electric motor.

If it's P1 it can't give much advantage in comparison to P0 solutions.

But here the most important part of the new engine is electric supercharger. Maserati IMO didn't enough highlighted its presence. There is not much engines with this technology and there is none 4 cylinder engines with this technology. All other are Inline 6 petrol or V8 diesel.

I must say that Ghibli is not an ideal vehicle to promote this new engine and technology. Not to mention that it will not be offered for US market Ghibli.

5. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Now you know how some of us felt when Alfa was supposed to share it's goodies with Dodge at one time and how they tried to make the Giorgio platform only for them. With that said, I wonder moving forward how Alfa and DS will exist under the planned merger with both considered premium brands.

#25 Adventurer55, Jul 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    Dave Z likes this.
  6. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

The lie is that Giorgio platform was developed just for Alfa Romeo. That's one one of the biggest nonsense which I've heard on this forum.

From what I remember some guys around here had denied that it was developed with Jeep in mind and that Jeep will use it.
    But I have a feeling that some people around here don't care about Jeep at all. It's not Mopar.

7. Mopar392

Mopar392 Well-Known Member

This could be a good replacement for the Pentastar engine. Though, I doubt Maserati would share any engine with Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler.

As much as I agree, I’d prefer to see a Twin conventional turbo for the mid-high rpm instead of a big one.

8. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

The engine will be shared with other vehicles, maybe in several variants as happens usually with turboxharged engines.
    They will just change the name of the engine.
    For example the diesel engines for Alfa Romeo have JTDM name, while the same family engines for Fiat, Jeep or other brands are named Multijet.

Fiat Abarth 124 rally FIA GT-R class race car engine "Abarth 1800 bialbero".
    The engine is the longitudinal versions of the 1750 TBi used by Alfa Romeo for Giulietta, 4C, ...
    [​IMG]

#28 MJAB, Jul 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    jimboy likes this.
  9. Adventurer55

Please do not put me in the not caring about Jeep. I've owned Jeeps since Mopar aquired them, and currently own one. It would be interesting however to see if the original plan for the WL was Giorgio based.

10. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

The GME 2.0T is already used in Jeep vehicles. I don't know who supplies the the electric booster for the Maserati motor, but the technology is expensive. If and when the Jeep Wrangler PHEV ever shows up, this will reveal many answers about the ZF hybrid transmission and how widespread electric supercharging will become in FCA vehicles.

Deckard_Cain likes this.
  11. purplepassengerpete

purplepassengerpete Active Member

The Ghibli Hybrid will not be offered in the US market? That is crazy! Why not?

jimboy likes this.
  12. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

without it they are dead

13. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

everything starting with the 300

Donte Lindsey likes this.
  14. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

Having watched the long slow demise of Chrysler and Lancia under FCA, the only viable route left for them is hybrid/electric going forward. The least that these two storied brands deserve is a chance to flourish. Making them the company leaders ( with Maserati as the starting space), would give both Brands direction, focus , and a real separation from their sibling brands. Also having a consistent technology through the brands, Maserati>Lancia>Chrysler>Citroen would help to unify the product range and create the 'story' that such a rambling conglomeration of vehicles is going to need eventually.

15. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

So that leaves *checks list of Chrysler products* the 300.

Mr. Fusion, jimboy and gforce2002 like this.
  16. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

17. Adventurer55

Well I would guess the press would compare it to E-Torque minus the electric supercharger.

purplepassengerpete likes this.
  18. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

There are 2 different GMEs. One is GME T4 D and the other one like this is GME T4 M. Of course D stands for DOHC and M for MultAir. D version is North American version mostly developed at Aubutn Hilld. M is Italian version developed in Modena in today's Maserati Innovation Lab. This was also the first GME version on sale in Alfa Romeo Giulia.

purplepassengerpete likes this.
  19. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Hmh. The point for this engine is not BSG system itself. The point is to feed electric supercharger. To have no turbo lag and to have very high torque very low in rpm band. 450 Nm (332 ft lb) is very low at just 1500 rpm and keeps it all they way to 4000 rpm. Just for comparison North American GME T4 D has maximum torque of 400 Nm (295 ft lb) at 3000 rpm. Or engine where they put more money like GME T4 M 280 HP for North American market has maximum torque of 415 Nm (306 lb ft) at 2000 rpm.

Electric superchager helps engine to have no turbo lag, to feel more like a naturally aspirated engine but with whole load of torque down low. IMO GME T6 with this technology will easily replace Hemi.

FCA and media houses? Many of them are in very bad relations with FCA. Some banal things like this engine presentation were badly communicated by some media houses. Are they doing it in bad fate? Yes, I think so. It's achievement to misreport it and telling that this it the new engine with just a new ECU and/or not mentioning electric supercharger at all.

patfromigh and ScramFan like this.
  20. Adventurer55

While I can't speak for the Maserati version, the BSG version in trucks here is IMHO not worth the effort. It provides little in the way of anything and again IMHO the word mild hybrid is stretching the term.