AF: FCA has unveiled 2.0 liter 330 HP engine with electric supercharger | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA has unveiled 2.0 liter 330 HP engine with electric supercharger

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by T_690, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Ryan

Ryan Moderator
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Mild hybrids are used in a lot of vehicles, not just as eTorque in Jeeps and Rams.

Mercedes has been applying BSG technology to many of their vehicles lately.

2. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

Would have been excited about this 15 years ago.

3. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Yes, Mercedes has a lot of BSG/P0 MHEVs, especially in Europe. And they have P1 MHEV on their Inline 6 which features electric supercharger.

JLR is another company which has a lot of BSG/P0 MHEV equipped cars. For example new Evoque is AFAIK excusively with this technology while every gasoline Inline 6 has it with additional electric superchager.

But question is who will be the first with P2 MHEVs. As we know FCA is working on P2 MHEV technology with suppliers for both FWD(Small Wide) and RWD(Giorgio) based cars. We are talking about electric mode from a standstill to up to 50 km/h (31 mph) if not more. That's HEV territory at fraction of the cost.

You are the one who pushed with comparison which IMO wasn't in the best faith.

For sure P0 MHEV doesn't make sense for someone who is not driving in the city or with a lot of stop/go traffic but then it's true for most of hybrid technologies including HEV. But telling that it doesn't make sense for anyone is just not true.

And it's all about electric supercharger for Maserati. BSG is just a tool to get there.

Can you be more specific?

Morty, tlc, jimboy and 1 other person like this.
  4. purplepassengerpete

purplepassengerpete Active Member

I drove a Ram 1500 with the 5.7L and eTorque. I was actually very impressed with how it deals with engine start/stop situations. It was the first time in a vehicle that I didn't try to turn start/stop off. As for general driving, I think there were some minimal improvements to efficiency. Nothing that I would have noticed if I didn't know it was equipped with eTorque.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  5. randy1911

randy1911 Active Member

There is nothing exciting here 330 from a 2 liter, this is important in Foreign markets only. Now apply that tech to a refreshed pentastar to get 390 hp eliminate the 5.7 getting mileage a little above the 5.7 specs and you have yourself a winner. Apply this tech to the new refreshed 6.4 get around 575 hp and you have a winner. Apply this tech to the base Hellcat and redeye, and your in 777hp base hellcat and 888 Redeye with no mpg gain in the hellcat and redeye just performance boost with no mpg loss you will reignite the car sales division alittle.
    But this is definitely a euro thing

6. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

It's not. Engine capacity means nothing in most of European countries. Only CO2 emission or what I call rightsizing.

So make your call again.

Which tech and how?

Once I gave my proposition about this but I'm interested what exactly would you use and how, which parts and technologies.

7. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Just because others are applying it doesn't make it right. This is another sales gimmick to tell customers you have a hybrid. Most think real hybrids when they hear the term. As far as BSG is concerned, for city fuel mileage improvements, you don't need E-Torque to accomplish it. An Ecodiesel would be more efficient.

8. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

The advantages of the Mercedes-Benz 48-volt system (at https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1112013_the-advantages-of-the-mercedes-benz-48-volt-system )

9. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

The RAM eTorque is off-topic, but it does make a performance difference if you're one of that shrinking minority who uses their truck for actually hauling loads. Getting the vehicle rolling is the hardest part of driving with heavy cargo, and the electromotor's huge instantaneous torque makes a big difference when the bed is full.

The biggest plus of the Maserati engine is the use of an electric supercharger as part of its Hybrid system, to provide lag-free power delivery without the fuel-consumption penalty that supercharging normally carries.

jimboy, tlc and T_690 like this.
  10. Adventurer55

It'll be interesting to see how much of a fuel economy improvement it makes.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  11. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

I had my hot turbo car in the early 2000s. For Chrysler to enter the segment in todays market with the technology craze if Chrysler happens to have a decent motor the cars will be too high priced for most people who want a hot small car.

When I was playing with it, it was all young aingle guys buying cheap base models and building up.

Over a decade later tge industry has changed and you basically can't buy a sportier car that isn't already decked out from the factory.

There's no way this engine goes in a car for less than $45,000.

12. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

This engine is for Maserati, so no, you won't be able to buy a luxury brand's vehicle with this engine for that price.

However, a 2.0 turbo is available already in the Jeep Cherokee and Wrangler and a 1.3 turbo is available in the Renegade.

tlc likes this.
  13. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Preliminary around 20% less fuel consumption than 3.0 TT V6 with 350 HP. WLTP cycle for 2.0 330 HP it's 8.27 l/100km. For the 350 HP twin turbo V6 it's 10.26 l/100km. 3.0 liter 275 HP diesel is at 7.13 km/l. All fuel economy numbers for combined cycle.

EDIT: Calculated to US mpg it's 28 for hybrid, 23 for TT V6, 32 for diesel.

#53 T_690, Jul 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    jimboy likes this.
  14. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

15. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

All seen as reasons not to buy Mopar anymore.

16. Adventurer55

I'll reserve judgement on a purchase after Tavares has left his mark. I'm hoping he attacks these systemic problems that the NA unit has had for far too long. This has become a generational thing.

17. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

So buy something else.

18. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

Done already. Just gotta figure out how to get rid of the Charger. Nobody is interested because everyone around here knows how much work they'll be repeatedly doing.

19. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Maybe if you stopped badmouthing it as soon as anyone expresses any interest you might be able to sell it quicker.

GasAxe, tomit, jimboy and 3 others like this.
  20. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

Yeah, your crappy attitude is probably the reason that you aren't selling it. The Chargers (and 300s and Challengers) are solid cars, with the possible exception of the old 2.7/4-speed models. If your Charger had a ton of problems, it is an anomaly. As I've told you before, I submit warranty claims to FCA for a dealership and there are very few major Charger issues that I've seen. I also owned one for several years and it was a fantastic vehicle, though like any vehicle I had a few minor complaints.

If you don't like Mopar anymore, why are you here? To constantly degrade the products and complain to the members here who do like them? Nobody wants to hear that.

GasAxe, AlfaCuda, tomit and 6 others like this.