AF: FCA June 2018 Meeting | Page 31 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA June 2018 Meeting

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by cygnus, May 17, 2018.

1. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level 2 Supporter

Insiders are under no obligation to share what they know. They are not paid by Allpar for the information. They share it at their discretion. They may know something that they don't feel like sharing for a variety of reasons. We should be grateful when they share what they know and not criticize them when they don't. We don't know the reasons why they do not. Maybe the information is known only to a few people and revealing it could put someone's job in jeopardy. There may be other reasons, but ultimately it is their decision.

#601 Christopher, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    savio.79, ScramFan, AlfaCuda and 10 others like this.
  2. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

You can read into it however negatively you wish to do so.

The name of the company is Fiat Chrysler... those names are not going anywhere.

Mike

3. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

Understandable. I was underwhelmed as well.

4. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level 2 Supporter

Here's something people need to consider.

This is not a 5 year syllabus where you have to follow all the steps in order to achieve your goal.

It is a 5 year plan.

We don't get to the end of 5 years and "BOOM" we're suddenly done. At the end of 5 years FCA needs to make sure that it is ready to tackle then NEXT 5 years. And that 5 year outlook is a rolling target. They don't sit there twiddling their thumbs for 5 years and "BAM" another 5 year plan. Though it may appear that way, I am sure they're not waiting until year 4 to start working on the next 5 year plan. Markets shift. Plans change. FCA needs to adapt to try to prepare for the future. It is easy to look back and criticize decisions with the blessing of hindsight. I am confident that FCA has access to more information than anyone on this board and they are doing what they think is best for the company.

Does that mean that they don't make mistakes? No. Does it mean that we have to agree with the direction the plans are headed? No. But try to remember that there are thousands of FCA employees doing the best job they can to ensure the future of the company.

page2171, ScramFan, UN4GTBL and 8 others like this.
  5. HEMI345

HEMI345 Active Member

Oaky lets play small game. Jeep has 9 vehicles are coming in the next 5 year where 2 vehicles will be launched per year.
    And these are the following:

1 A/B - new car
    1 B - new Renegade
    1 C - Refreshed Compass
    3 D - new Cherokee, new 3-row, & jeep truck
    2 E - Grand Cherokee 2-row, & new 3-row
    1 F - Grand Wagoneer

And here my assumptions:

2018: A/B new car
    2019: new D 3-row, jeep truck
    2020: Grand Cherokee 2-row, & new E 3-row
    2021: Refreshed Compass, Grand Wagoneer
    2022: new Renegade, new Cherokee

TripleT likes this.
  6. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I can understand why people are disappointed with not much in the way of official news regarding certain brands. If I were looking forward to info on Jeep, and they weren’t included I’d probably need a quiet moment to myself...not saying I’d cry...well...yeah...I’d probably cry...I’m a big man...I’m not afraid to admit that...:p

But all they had to dangle before me was the prospect of a 3-row Grand Cherokee. Look kids, shiny things!! Ooooohhh aaaaaahhh!! :D

I’m sorry....what was I talking about again?? :p

UN4GTBL, Morty and Doug D like this.
  7. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

From my angle it seems the presentation is more of a where FCA is going directionally than a fixed designation. Investors hear 9 Billion Euro being spent on electrification and right away they're going to ask a question. How is FCA going to pay for this? The rest of the presentation was presenting the products which will be bankrolling that future.

It was Daimler that killed Chrysler's then current EV program, the EPIC minivans. What Daimler did also left a paper trail because many vans were funneled through government programs. Cerberus presented their EV dog & pony show with vehicles powered by vendor engineered and built drivetrains. The three headed hound also bound Chrysler to a contract with A123, which would've dragged Chrysler into the same swirling vortex that swallowed A123. Sergio killed the EV program group that was using precious capital and engineering personnel, used the bankruptcy to divorce A123, and killed the NiMh hybrids. All this is nearly a decade ago. FCA wasn't doing nothing for alternative drivetrains the past 9+ years, despite what media pundits and what they think Sergio said. First Sergio tried to restart a way to provide the Post Office with battery electric minivans. Although hybrids with NiMh batteries were dropped from the market, development continued with plugin hybrid pickups and minivans, all while pursuing state of the art battery technology. FCA is also involved on the infrastructure side of the EV equation as well. The only thing FCA didn't do is sell EVs to retail customers. (The exception of course is the 500e compliance car. I doubt if any were sold at anything close to a retail price.) Now there is a PHEV Pacifica, which shows FCA's commitment is real. Sergio's swan song presentation was the total opposite of the Cerberus dog & pony show. The fact that there were Highland Park people offering some of the presentations says a lot more about FCA than the content of the presentation.

8. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Ha ha it’s so true i wish our 5 year plans lasted 6 months. If 5 year plan were actually 5 years they wouldn’t be yearly

9. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

That thing makes plenty of room for surprises though..

ScramFan and MoparJoe like this.
  10. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. Plans are just that...plans. We all know what can happen with plans, something about plans are made to be broken....

What we need to see are these talked about products actually on the showroom floor. Then, and only then, can we gauge their appropriateness for their market segment, their quality & reliability, and their sales figures. That is how you evaluate a product. Plans are good for generating excitement and discussion, but they won’t keep your lights on. I’m reminded of the old saying, don’t tell me what you’re going to do...show me what you’ve done.

I’m looking forward to the next few years, to see the “promised” products come to fruition. This should be an exciting time for sure.

Here’s to hoping the new product rolls out with a minimum of bugs & glitches, with a maximum of effective marketing, and all of it in a timely manner without excessive delays &/or outright cancellations.

11. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

I thought the reason the demon had other wheels off the line was because the line couldn’t accommodate the wheel width

GasAxe likes this.
  12. MoparJoe

MoparJoe Well-Known Member

You did not see the car go down the complete line. Maybe there's only certain sections are going to handle tires at wide

13. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Relative to Sm’s statements about where revenue is going to be spent for new models in the coming years...

NAFTA only brands were supposed to get 25% of the UPCOMING pie.

So, in the coming five years, production and revenues are expected to rise considerably? No?

Did he say that funds for NAFTA only model developme t was going to be reduced? I don’t think he did. I think the point that was missed, was that of the LARGER pie, NAFAtA only models got 25%. For all we know, that 25% could actually be an INCREASE in money for NAFTA only stuff.

It is all in what you choose to see. I choose to see the pile of horse poop under the Christmas tree, and I start looking for my new horse. Some people just start complaining about a pile of horse poop.

DAGAR, ScramFan and GasAxe like this.
  14. Mopar392

Mopar392 Well-Known Member

One of the main complains about Challenger and Charger are its weight.
    I don't mind the next Challenger/Charger will still be riding on a LA/LX platform, but can they address the weight issue?

dakota21 and EVOL like this.
  15. LXbuilder

LXbuilder Well-Known Member

The whole point of my previous post was to point out that it is not surprising that Mopar fans would be upset by Friday's presentation. After all they are probably the most passionate of all fans of American cars. And maybe cutting them a little slack to blow off steam is in order?
    I personally think that FCAs plan is smart given market trends and their need to get the maximum benefit from investment dollars.
    As for my comment about Allpar being blind sided, of course no one is obligated to share sensitive information, I was just surprised that these pages were caught out of the loop sort of speak, that is something I don't really ever remember happening in my time reading these pages.
    A little more understanding on all sides would go a long ways IMO.

16. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Major Detroit newspaper agrees with your drift;

Chrysler and Dodge’s days may be numbered despite surviving Friday (at https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/mark-phelan/2018/06/01/chrysler-dodge-fiat-fca/664601002/ )

#616 Beentherebefore, Jun 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  17. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

When you read Mark Phelan's article your concerns will not only appear justified but spot on;

Chrysler and Dodge’s days may be numbered despite surviving Friday (at https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/mark-phelan/2018/06/01/chrysler-dodge-fiat-fca/664601002/ )

18. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Yesterday's WSJ, in a report about the FCA meeting, only half jokingly stated that the company should probably be re-christened "Maserati Jeep" or "Alfa Romeo Ram".

19. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Even if true, a presentation to investors is a matter of public record and words should be chosen carefully. Major business reporting organizations and analyzers pick up not only on what is hyped but also what is "damned with faint praise";

There was a similar sentiment expressed in the "L.A. Times" business section yesterday, though much less elaborate than the above linked article.

None of those reports are going to offer much assurance to prospective Chrysler/Dodge customers.

20. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

This was a opposite of a dog and pony show.

LeeRyder and ScramFan like this.