AF: FCA + Peugeot in Talks | Page 14 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA + Peugeot in Talks

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dan Minick, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Morty

Morty Well-Known Member

As do l:)

jimboy, BASONE88 and hmk123 like this.
  2. badgerbeerman

badgerbeerman Active Member

From what I read elsewhere 2 future Alphas already got the axe.

3. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Probably not enough to justify the trouble. RU is a large vehicle by European standards. More likely it would be imported by a third party group like Chargers and Challengers.

According to at least one article I've read on him, he was pushing for a Nissan-Chrysler tie-up then, so my guess it he has a very high appreciation for the U.S. brands.

djsamuel likes this.
  4. Suhail

Suhail Member

I can see a good opportunities for Chrysler brand in this marriage. More vehicles for Chrysler’s.

First: Chrysler can use the E2XX platform, for a 200 replacement. But nothing to do with the 200 at all. Let’s call it A CHRYSLER CONCORDE. Great name and better than the 200 or Sebring. The Buick LaCrosse and Chevy Malibu and Holden Commodore and Opel all shares the E2XX platform. Great platform to use.

Second: Chrysler needs a Small/midsize SUV or CUV, and the new DS 7 is a great. They can easily rebadged it with a Chrysler brand.

finally: the 300, the real Jewel for Chrysler brand, it’s need to be like A Cadillac CT6, with V8 twin turbo. Would sell in EUROPE And US and Middle East. The new 300 should share same platform (in size) with the Maserati Quattroporte. Assuming the Concorde is happened (EX22) platform.

if this happen to Chrysler. It would like Lincoln and Cadillac nowadays. Where it’s belong.

HotCarNut, jimboy, saltydog and 2 others like this.
  5. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

A 200 car would be on the new EMP2 midsize platform. Concorde is remembered as a large Car. E2XX is done with GM prior to Opel's purchase by PSA, and licensed to Opel by GM. The only way Chrysler re-enters Europe is in that niche between Maserati and everything else, to compete against C Class MBs and such, but I don't know how well 300s would sell if Chrysler's rep was stellar, let alone as it really is. Certainly won't be getting many business purchases in Germany, since those go almost exclusively to German brands. Middle East? Totally different world. You can sell American muscle there.

Ernesto and Suhail like this.
  6. flffddy

flffddy Well-Known Member

I don't think the E2XX is going to be a viable option for Chrysler... I would assume that GM has ensured that they have exclusive rights to the platform, at least in North America.

But this really does present a lot of immediate options for Chrysler if PFCSA is interested in the brand, provided these vehicles could easily be brought to the US market. Here's some silly ideas....

1) Chrysler 300 soldiers on...
    2) Current Chrysler Voyager becomes Chrysler Pacifica again.
    3) Refreshed Chrysler Pacifica becomes Chrysler Pacifica Town and Country.
    4) Opel Crossland X as Chrysler Voyager.
    5) Opel Grandland X as Chrysler Grand Voyager.

Longer term
    6) Chrysler 200/Concorde based on the EMP2 platform. This could be the Opel Insignia replacement as well. If you can, offer the wagon.
    7) Chrysler Atlantic CUV based on RU

Ernesto, saltydog and Suhail like this.
  7. badgerbeerman

badgerbeerman Active Member

I don't see any cars coming here soon. don't forget, automakers are dropping sedans left and right. SUV/CUV, yes, no sedans.

Thom Paré, GuidoFL and Adventurer55 like this.
  8. dartndodge

dartndodge Well-Known Member

Holden insiders tell us that the Opel "Commodore" is finished in March 2020.
    I would hope that PSA, being French, would be interested in the "Chrysler Group" for its essence of being "American", and possible expand on that Americanism, and not try to water it down to some Euro/Jap/Asian clone.
    FCA has recently announced a culling of Alfa models.
    I would hope that PSA could see the Alfa brand as a pure Sports brand, ie sportscars and 2 doors, not copycat Suvs..
    Promote Lancia to the sports sedan, suv upmarket, with Fiat back to its original small, cheap, econo cars/ small suvs only.

Continue Dodge as the He-man, Brotherhood of Muscle Brand, and add the trucks as a semi division....ie "Ram, by Dodge"
    Expand Chrysler to the Executive hot rod theme again, smaller turbo V8 with Hybrid for the city cycle, Make eyecatching sedan with a decent trunk, plus a 2 door sportback large car......probably have the market to themselves almost. Add an upmarket SUV, as per the new large luxo Landcruiser, plus maybe a luxo sporty coupe like the Firepower concept.

Use the French cars as mid range and Opel for economy cars in North America.

One can dream ......

9. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Not going to find enough buyers for another 200.
    Maybe when everyone is out of that space...otherwise you may as well bring out a station wagon as it would sell just as well and at least there is less competition in that space.
    I do agree the focus should be on the N. American market which is still doing well due to our still hot economy unlike the rest of the world.

10. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

11. IronMike3406

IronMike3406 Well-Known Member

You are correct 2 Alfa's did get the axe but I don't blame them for pulling the plug either....Wrong cars for the current market

12. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

LOVE your Chrysler Revival Plan. But...since we're dreaming here, I'd like to swap out your small V8 with Hybrid for the city cycle with
    a Straight 8 version of the upcoming GME Inline 6, featuring twin-turbo and Hybrid for the city cycle.

There...Much better;)

13. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

14. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

Interesting thought. Fields CDJ stores their cars at a nearby mall. What if they could re purpose old Sears into Showroom space or a sales floor. Conceivably the old Auto Center could be the service dept. Pep Boys just acquired a bunch of Just Brakes, Big 10 tires, and a number of other smaller shops and shut down a bunch near each other. That left the community with a bunch of abandoned tire stores. That would also be an opportunity to turn old shops into service bays for dealerships. I know Honda uses stand alone service depts as evidenced by this Honda shop in Winter Park.
    upload_2019-11-5_7-33-46.png
    The actual dealership with another service dept is several miles away on a busier roadway.

somber, saltydog and djsamuel like this.
  15. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Every car dealer in Pittsburgh seems to be using excess mall parking to store cars. I think it must be one of the last revenue sources for the mall owners given the retail vacancy rates.

GuidoFL likes this.
  16. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

While technically accurate, PSA only has a majority when Tavares is counted and his term is for 5 years. There will be five from each company, and him as CEO is the 11th one.

vipergts2207 and djsamuel like this.
  17. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

“Manley, 55, is trying to keep Fiat Chrysler on track in North America, which Goldman Sachs estimates generated 93% of the automaker’s profit last year.”

Holy cow...is that accurate?

JavelinAMX likes this.
  18. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Not really. A GME based V8 would theoretically make more sense from an engineering and packaging standpoint. The historic reason there are no L8 engines anymore is the crankshafts are too long, thus they have a tendency to whip. Of interest to this forum, it was Alfa Romeo who designed an L8 engine with a mid-mount cam gear for an 8C that would defeat Ferarri's V12 in 1951. MB revised the AR design, completely mid-mounting the entire geartrain in the 1955 F1 and 300SLR racing cars. Keep in mind, these are SMALL racing L8s - 1.5 - 2.5 L engines running up to 10,000 RPMs, pushing over 400 bhp. Traditional L8s also require harmonic balancers. Chrysler replaced the straight eight with the Hemi V8 in 1951.

19. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

You raise valid points, but I didn't have in mind anything larger than the 3.7 Litre to 4.0 Litre range.

Also, I envision the use of carbon fiber for the crankshaft, which I think could overcome the whipping problem.

Also, I think you'll agree that an Inline 8 would be inherently smoother running than a V8. Correct me if I'm wrong...I think an L8 would also develop more of its horsepower in the lower rpm ranges vs. a V8.

And...last but certainly not least...I think the L8 would have a certain "snob appeal" that buyers of a "Banker's Hot-Rod" Chrysler 300 would really like OR....perhaps a future Dodge halo model (NOT to be called Viper).

Donte Lindsey and Tony K like this.