AF: FCA + Peugeot in Talks | Page 20 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA + Peugeot in Talks

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dan Minick, Oct 29, 2019.

1. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

To Burger King!

2. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Thankfully, Tavares appears to have been delivering both: products consumers want to buy, and profits that keep investors happy.

3. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

Yes, there's definitely going to be some restructuring involved there. Not going to be any easy task.

No, although I'd readily give it a try. I've had bison and enjoyed the lean flavor. In addition to horse, I've eaten guinea pig, llama, and alpaca. I didn't feel good about eating any of them. So glad I don't have to do customer meetings with frequency anymore. o_O

4. Corcorcor

Corcorcor Member

5. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Hmmm...looks more like an Accord, an Impala and an Optima, all mixed into one.

Looks good nevertheless.

JavelinAMX, page2171 and Chris mopar like this.
  6. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Kinda hard to go totally unique these days. I admit I like the headlight and grille treatment. I don't like the massive overdone grilles as though every car has a truck diesel behind an inefficient brass radiator. The overall body outline actually reminds me of the 200 and Avenger as much as anything else. I notice what appears to be two front radar holes and a closed-off camera outlet? It's not revolutionary but it's nicely done. Actually I'm seeing your Accord now with a hint of the new Volkswagens with their angled fronts.

7. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

ScramFan likes this.
  8. codypet

They had plans to enter the US market between 2023 and 2026. Based on the amount of time it takes to develop a car, I'd say they have to be pretty far along with a few cars.

9. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

2023 means the real development will start in 2020.
    2026 means that real development will start in 2023.

Look at post from @KrisW
    He have said what PSA can offer. There is no need for fairy tales.

10. valiant67

valiant67 ...

It's funny to see how PSA is being criticized for not having product suitable for the North American market. It is almost as if history is repeating itself.

JavelinAMX likes this.
  11. codypet

Which was nothing for the NA market. I'm just not that pessimistic about it. I still feel like the NA brands will survive AND get product following the merger.

Tony K and Chris mopar like this.
  12. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

I don't know why they need to receive PSA platforms to survive?

And European overcapacity. FCA arm of the new company will add a lot of European products in the near future. Process will be speed up in case of merger.
    But in addition to that for sure there will be plant closures. UK and German plants are the most likely candidates together with German (Opel) R&D center.

ScramFan likes this.
  13. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

On the surface, it seems that PSA's platforms and technology would work well for Chrysler. Perhaps better than the CUSW. Maybe they'd even receive good, inexpensive volume motors.

14. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Not really. In 2009 there was a growing market for small cars, as customers deserted bigger, heavier SUVs... not being able to offer small cars to plug this gap was a major factor in Chrysler's bankruptcy - both Ford and GM drafted in European product to help.

Today, the small-car market is shrinking away, as customers want big.

ScramFan and T_690 like this.
  15. valiant67

valiant67 ...

If you really study the underlying trends in North America you will find this:
    Any "growing market" from small vehicles was due to the extraordinary combination of extra-high gasoline prices, a poor economy, and difficult (though not necessarily high interest) credit. Couple that with a government program to entice those buyers into smaller vehicles and you had an usual market for a year or so.
    People wanted the larger vehicles in 2008/2009, they temporarily accepted substitutes. By the time the Fiats arrived, the "rebirth" of the small car market was over.

I'll skip over the irony of pointing out Chrysler's bankruptcy because of dependence on large SUVs and pickup trucks.

JavelinAMX and wvutuba like this.
  16. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Really studying? Gasoline prices were the primary driver, and there was no expectation that they would drop in the near to medium term. Have you forgotten about all those "peak oil" stories that ran back in the 2000s? Good credit drivers ditched expensive full-size and SUVs and went to upmarket compact and subcompacts. Volkswagen made huge inroads (albeit by cheating) with their diesel motors. Back then, Amercians wanted fuel economy, and everyone except the Japanese was scrambling to meet the demand.

The marketplace in 2009, when Chrysler and FIAT first joined together, is nothing like that in 2019.

Great how good news for the US branch so quickly becomes something to moan about on this site, isn't it?

AlfaCuda, ScramFan and T_690 like this.
  17. BASONE88

Supporter

There may be some platform sharing at some point. That, certainly, is an option. But not for a while. It's - probable - that it will happen(at some point), but it's like priority # 1,000,000 on the list right now.

The first 10,000 things on the "to do list," involves completing a merger - and why? Look to Tesla. Also, consider what that is costing our beloved FCA.

FCA, could cease to exist without a merger. Maybe this merger. Who knows?

Fast, high performance cars, and the best off-road vehicles - FCA excels at(very loveable). Fortunately, these vehicles have a lot of profit. But in the global arena, it is costing FCA dearly. PSA has what FCA, needs plain & simple.

18. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

Corcorcor said:

The China story is interesting but there would have to be cuts there no matter what.
    I thought this was int4eresting. It looks like a Chrysler, in fact I think it looks a lot like the old 200.
    Will it be Chrysler or Peugeot in the USA? (at https://www.autobison.com/2019/11/will-it-be-chrysler-or-peugeot-in-the-usa/ )

[​IMG]
    I would be just as happy if this car were badged and marketed in North America as OPEL. Let's face it, I think Chrysler's bankroll of good-will with the public got spent away long ago. and I'm not sure there would be any more love for PEUGEOT than there was for FIAT.

Back in the 1970's, when OPEL was the captive import of Buick....I don't recall the brand being perceived as having anything approaching a poor reputation. I think there would ample good will left in the OPEL brand here to bring it back.

Perhaps Chrysler as a name brand has run its course in North America. It could slowly fade away, and I don't think many would notice...and perhaps even fewer would care.
    [

#398 77 Monaco Brougham, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  19. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Apart from perception, and in a more pointed way, Kosher laws separate out living things intended for food from living things not intended for food.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  20. edvan

edvan Well-Known Member

I just watched a review of the Peugeot 508 on youtube. IMHO, Yuk. the cramped rear seat just like the Chrysler 200. I do not buy sedans, but if I would I would pick a Subaru Legacy or Honda Accord over the 508 in a heartbeat.