AF: FCA + Peugeot in Talks | Page 21 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA + Peugeot in Talks

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dan Minick, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

If Opel/Vauxhall is any indication, Chrysler and/or Dodge implementations of PSA platforms wouldn't necessarily be badge engineering as shown here with what appears to be an Opel Insignia body with a Chrysler nose. BTW, if I were a designer, the Chysler Badge is put at the top of the grillwork where it blends into the bodywork.

Is it really that simple? I mean, does Chrysler go bankrupt absent the "merger of equals" with Daimler?

Dave Z likes this.
  2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Independent Chrysler had a better lineup of small cars than they had under DCX. Plus they had a stockpile of cash. Would those have made any difference? Maybe, maybe not. Part of the DCX problem was a time where old models were kept in service without proper updates which hurt Neon especially.

Chebby7, somber, danbek and 4 others like this.
  3. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

And their front drive lineup went backwards in styling and interior design. The 300 and Charger had mediocre interiors.

valiant67 likes this.
  4. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Well the 508 after all is smaller then the 200....

T_690 likes this.
  5. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Same interior room as Dart.

6. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Since they were the most profitable automaker, as I recall, the answer is “no.” There would have come a reckoning but it would have been relatively minor since their basics were still good and they had a lot of noncore assets they could have sold.

hmk123, page2171, tlc and 1 other person like this.
  7. Adventurer55

Had Bob Lutz been made chairman, I do not believe the Daimler merger would have occurred. Now, since he had a history with BMW, something may have occurred there. But that is purely speculation. Chrysler would have never been in the shape it was left in in 2007, but given the current tasks ahead may have been looking for a merger partner by now.

page2171 and Tony K like this.
  8. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Chrysler and BMW had a minor tie-up before DCX - as evidenced by looking under the hood of the early US Minis.

hmk123, page2171, Tony K and 2 others like this.
  9. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

Who knows what would've happened. BMW already was reeling from biting off more than they could chew with the Rover Group acquisition. Maybe Lutz wouldn't have been a good CEO for Chrysler. Hell, I actually think the Daimler acquisition would've been great had current Mercedes leadership been in charge. Jurgen Schrempp and his henchman were just the wrong leaders to carry that merger out correctly.

Let's see how this round of merger mania plays out. I'm excited.

10. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Anyone have any idea what time frame we are looking at?

11. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

12. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

13. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

That should sound like a very familiar refrain ...

Adventurer55 likes this.
  14. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

What was DCX's excuse?

15. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

DCX was mostly a cash grab, they bought Chrysler for what Chrysler had in the bank, it was MB who was in trouble with poor quality and low profits. Chrysler was stripped of assets and cash to build up MB. Chrysler was lucky to get out alive. Nothing like Fiat who is interested in building up the Corporation.

16. Adventurer55

The Fiat merger is different then DCX. The problem is/was too many brands and too little cash for their plan, and not badge engineer. The new company faces the same issues, only with even more brands. It's going to take one hell of a mind or minds to figure out how to keep all of them.

17. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

Nothing wrong with bringing Peugeot projects in to fill out Chrysler line, badged as Chryslers. Fiat should supply a small truck to round out the RAM brand, what we can do for them is a tougher call, I guess shared cost and a chance to sell more Peugeot products as Chryslers will have to do for now. The Fiat 500 would have done a lot better if sold as a Chrysler, Spyder should of been a Dodge, I think Ego can be a problem. Alpha and the Masser line, I have no clue how to make work.

18. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

What can we do for them? Do you mean beyond the already handsome profit remittances from sales in US and Canada...?

Doug D, JavelinAMX and Adventurer55 like this.
  19. flffddy

flffddy Active Member

The 1st generation Neon lasted five model years, and the 2nd generation lasted six, with a refresh in the middle. That's not horribly unusual for the time, and it's certainly much better than what FCA churns out!

20. Adventurer55

Fiat brand had two strikes against it from the start of it's launch here. Quality, and having it as exclusive stand alone dealers. Plus gas prices started to drop not long after launch and small car sales began to dry up. It already had a fix it image left over and they did nothing to help rid themselves of that image. They virtually set it up to fail.

valiant67, page2171 and aldo90731 like this.