AF: FCA + Peugeot in Talks | Page 22 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA + Peugeot in Talks

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dan Minick, Oct 29, 2019.

1. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The class leading engines (1995) were just also-rans by the second gen (2000). The switch from 3 speed to 4 speed autos didn't help much. There was no real (visible) first gen refresh, he second gen styling lost a lot of the uniqueness and the second gen restyle was mild. So much promise was lost on he Neon. The only real "variant" of many proposed was the PT Cruiser. And by the time the SRT4 came out, DCX was so embarrassed of Neon, the Neon name never went on the performance version.

somber, jclick and Adventurer55 like this.
  2. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

One scratches ones head.

3. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

The complete lack of awareness of how North America consumers viewed/view Fiat has to be one of the biggest blind spots in automotive history.

4. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

While surfing the internet last night, I ran across this Bloomberg profile of PSA and CT (taped in June 2019) that I found quite interesting, and I feel it gave a bit of insight as to what makes CT tick. And the one big takeaway I got from this video was:

Signor Elkann certainly found his man:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gclq9b9o26A

5. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Watched the video. I would venture to guess that most anything front drive or AWD will at some point have Peugeot underpinnings. His strategy isn't new. I'd call it Iacocca 101, cut all your platforms down to one, the K platform, and base everything off that. We shall see how it evolves over time.

#426 Adventurer55, Nov 18, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  6. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

ScramFan likes this.
  7. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

8. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

And it'll be much much more difficult to convince various average joes of the case like this one who posted that comment. GM's 'nuclear' FCA racketeering suit difficult to prove (at https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/general-motors/2019/11/26/general-motors-nuclear-racketeering-suit-fiat-chrysler-difficult-prove/4259995002/?fb_comment_id=3043930295620559_3045175018829420 )

Tony K and 77 Monaco Brougham like this.
  9. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

One thing that I hadn't thought of is that GM probably has next to ZERO sympathy / goodwill with the American public.

Whatever people might think of FCA, I imagine that they feel even less for Government Motors...OOPS!...I mean GM.

Tony K and Stéphane Dumas like this.
  10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Yup... well, Fiat's strategy has gone from "limited platforms" to "splintered platforms," and each "new beginning" ends up splintering...

HotCarNut likes this.
  11. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

And I'm sure that won't work with Tavares. He's already starting on bringing Opel into the Peugeot stable, he will do the same with Fiat. If Alfa is to survive with rear and AWD it will finally be forced to share with Dodge.

jclick and Tony K like this.
  12. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

You mean Maserati and Jeep? Or are they left out for a reason?

ScramFan likes this.
  13. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Pretty sure his point was that Dodge WAS left out. Maserati doesn't factor in heavily volume-wise, and it is no secret Jeep has a GG platform vehicle coming.

jclick and Adventurer55 like this.
  14. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Tavares shares views on bid to combine PSA and Fiat Chrysler

PSA does not have a designated chief operating officer. How do you manage decision-making?

I am a strong believer in a matrix organization. At PSA we operate within three axes: the regions, the brands and the functions. Even within this three-dimensional operation, we have business units that go through and try to boost the system. For example, we could have the CEO of Peugeot reporting on volumes and profit, then the European head report on total profits, volumes, market share, quality and customer satisfaction for all brands in the region. On the functional side, we would look at whether we are ready to launch a new car, are manufacturing costs being reduced? So we are constantly reviewing the business in three dimensions.

On Jan. 1 new EU CO2 regulations will start to take effect and fleet emissions will have to drop sharply to 95 grams per kilometer. How will PSA flip that switch?

We have a very precise process. I can't say a lot about it because it's highly competitive, but it involves our production, our order book, and making our dealers actors in what we are doing, not just followers. For us, it's an ethical matter [to meet CO2 targets], not just a financial matter. Our employees' children might ask them someday, "What did you do to fix the global warming issue?" So, they want to say that despite working at a car company, they are contributing -- and working really hard -- to address global warming.

PSA has had some of the best operating margins in the automotive industry, but there is an overall cost for emissions compliance. How much of this cost can you absorb and how much will you pass on to your customers?

We can be very disciplined on pricing, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter. All we can do is be the most profitable, so you don't get hit immediately by the costs of governments not investing in a charging network, not subsidizing sales of electric vehicles appropriately, or doing the wrong thing in terms of regulations. So either we digest these costs, or we are able to increase productivity. Or we can't, and somebody will get hurt.

Whole interview at: Tavares shares views on bid to combine PSA and Fiat Chrysler (at https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/tavares-shares-views-bid-combine-psa-and-fiat-chrysler )

15. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

The memorandum is almost done.
    It looks like that are going on some discussions about the value of COMAU (FCA’s robotics company) that is estimated to be higher than the initial Euro 250 million. The discussion is about who will receive the extra value, FCA shareholders, both, or will be put in place another arregement.

Adventurer55 and ScramFan like this.
  16. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member