AF: FCA + Peugeot in Talks | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA + Peugeot in Talks

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dan Minick, Oct 29, 2019.

1. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Honestly Peugeot has some neat little cars. They'd be great for the small car segment since a lot of younger buyers may be more interested in something different, or at least not a cuv.

[​IMG]
    I can see it being a Dodge or a Chrysler, tbt.

Ernesto, jessie and tlc like this.
  2. jclick

jclick Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly.

3. Thom Paré

Thom Paré Active Member

PSA/FCA has always made more sense to me than the Renault merger. While I did like the Renault merger idea, I felt that there was just too much baggage with Nissan and Mitsubishi. Nissan is barely hanging on to relevancy (at least here int he states) and Mitsubishi has always been the Brady Bunch bad luck tiki of Chrysler.

Bringing PSA brands into the fold doesn't necessarily mean that the US will PSA brands here right away or ever. It makes sense to leverage strong regional brands (google "Hindustan") and share engineering/certification/manufacturing to support those brands. North America is not issue here (at the moment) where sales of Jeep and Ram are strong and Dodge is a solid niche player. Chrysler is a wild card when it comes to the "strong regional brand" concept and it could technically go away since its reputation, as a brand, has not been able to dig itself out of a negative perception hole for decades now. However, a strong volume brand is still required here, and Jeep seems to be filling that hole for the time being, but it's still yet to be seen if the Chrysler brand will add to that or be replaced with an obscure (at least on this continent) French brand or possibly even Opel, which could make sense. As far as what we will see different in North America will be minimal. changes would be most visible in the EU market and hopefully allow for a bigger push into the Chinese and other emerging markets. The biggest change you'll probably see here, aside from the possibility I stated about the Chrysler brand, will be the implementation of the already strong electric vehicle platform and technologies sourced from PSA and employed by the current crop of FCA brands available in North America.

I'm not worried about the 13.6% ownership by Dongfeng or the French government. This would be diluted enough to become barely relevant among a 14 seat board. My real worry is that, with regards to a currently volatile political climate and once again strong sanctions against Iran, if the combined company would be forced to divest its ownership of its partnership with Khodro and how it's partnership will be perceived in certain political circles.

In the end, I think this will not only be successful, but it will also ensure the longevity of the brands and vehicle that make allpar exist in the first place.

4. flffddy

flffddy Well-Known Member

I could see a Chrysler/Opel arrangement similar to the Buick/Opel arrangement we saw with GM. I also think some of the Peugeot CUVs would make good Chryslers, but you'd have to give them a nose job first. The Opels already have a strong "wings" element in the grille, so they wouldn't be hard to make into Chryslers.

5. CNT900

CNT900 Well-Known Member

I have a hunch that if successful, this deal will turn out to be a sale of FCA by Exor to PSA. Not in my opinion the worst thing that can happen under the circumstances.

6. Thom Paré

Thom Paré Active Member

Tavares is the assumed CEO and Elkann remains as board chairman under the new company with combined assets and a stock merger. Where Manley goes is yet to be determined, but I assume he won't go too far. He's too valuable to the success of the current and the newly-formed organization.
    No outright sale is happening.

77 Monaco Brougham and Tony K like this.
  7. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

My guess is he goes back to head NA operations. Or he will be chief operating officer.

8. Ingvar

Ingvar Active Member

9. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

These discussions evidently have been ongoing for some time.

77 Monaco Brougham and valiant67 like this.
  10. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Some undisclosed location in the French and/or Italian alps... :)

11. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Hope they come up with name as opposed to a numeric, because 300 used to be exceptional in Chrysler vehicle names until 200 came about, and well, a bit of baggage now in 200 name.

Donte Lindsey likes this.
  12. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Looks like you were right.

13. Ryan

Ryan Moderator
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

True, 100 was just the first thing that came to mind. I strongly prefer real names like the ones Lincoln has been switching to.

14. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Tony K, Thom Paré and valiant67 like this.
  15. valiant67

valiant67 ...

That's why I was always suspicious of the Renault deal. It became public before so many details were worked out.
    If one was skeptical, one might assume the "leaking" of the Renault deal may have been just to push the PSA deal along.

tlc and Zagnut27 like this.
  16. Thom Paré

Thom Paré Active Member

Neither did I. Thanks for the quote in your story.

Citation84 and Ryan like this.
  17. STRATUS99

STRATUS99 Member

Manley is another Bob Eaton. Remember he is from the Daimler days and he doesn't have any loyalty to Chrysler. He's a bean counter that looks at what's good on a spreadsheet not what's good for the men and women that keep this company going. I look for him to be gone within 2yrs after he hands the company off to PSA. Was fearful when they announced him as Sergio's successor that we would repeat the sins of the past.

willy4110, wtxiceman and cygnus like this.
  18. flffddy

flffddy Well-Known Member

So what do you call the new entity? PFCA? PFA? PeugeotFiat? I fear the C will be dropped, and that may be the only reason Chrysler continued to exist. Instead the Pacifica becomes a Dodge and Voyager the new Grand Caravan. Dodge becomes what it should have always been, which is a mainstream brand akin to Chevy or Ford.

FreeLantz likes this.
  19. duster92

duster92 Well-Known Member

The Elkann family runs the show. They have wanted this for a long time. The CEO of FCA answers to Elkann. A merger has been priority number one for years now. This entire corporation has been stuck in a state of suspended animation for years now. It will be interesting to see where everything goes from here...but at least it is going SOMEWHERE!!