AF: FCA + Peugeot in Talks | Page 4 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA + Peugeot in Talks

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dan Minick, Oct 29, 2019.

1. badgerbeerman

badgerbeerman Active Member

Well it looks like its going to happen. PSA needs to learn from Fiats mistake. Don't make stand alone dealers. Use the ones you already have. What would be the best thing is have a couple PSA cars rebadged (if they can pass our crash tests and are left hand drive) as Chryslers. I don't see them selling a lot of cars in the US if the keep the Peugeot names .

2. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Didn't Sergio want Opel way back in 2010? His wish finally coming true?

Tony K and ScramFan like this.
  3. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Yes, but only in a very general sense. I won’t claim to have any special knowledge as to how or why this deal occurred, but it seemed plausible despite what was being said publicly. I had stated that often what is said publicly can vary significantly from what is being said or done internally. It appears that was the case here.

gforce2002 and valiant67 like this.
  4. Dan Minick

Level III Supporter

ScramFan likes this.
  5. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I expect a name with Jeep in it.

6. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

One would think that since the vast majority of profits come from NA it better be mentioned in the new name.

Tony K likes this.
  7. Lampredi

Lampredi Well-Known Member

Dongfeng-Jeep Automobiles.

8. hmk123

Level III Supporter

The car company formerly known as Peugeot-Fiat-Chrysler.

aldo90731 likes this.
  9. Real585

Real585 Active Member

FCA does not run the show. Apparently PSA would have majority seats at the board. Chairman role has no more power than the Queen of England. Most important people are CEO and CFO and they are PSA men ,according to press leaks.

10. rmtodd

rmtodd Well-Known Member

Some possible corporate names:
    ROFL - Ram Opel FIAT Lancia
    ACCORD - Alfa Chrysler Citroen Opel Ram Dodge
    FORD - FIAT Opel Ram Dodge
    JALOP - Jeep Alfa Lancia Opel Peugeot
    CARP - Citroen Alfa Ram Peugeot
    CRAP - Crhysler Ram Alfa Peugeot
    FLOP - FIAT Lancia Opel Peugeot
    ORCA - Opel Ram Chrysler Alfa
    ROAD - Ram Opel Alfa Dodge

RobbieAG, Tony K, James A and 8 others like this.
  11. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

Yeah, I remember these rumors back in 2009-2010. I don't remember if that also included Vauhxall then.

12. Ingvar

Ingvar Active Member

That's fake information FCA and PSA will get equal number of seats.

ScramFan likes this.
  13. duster92

duster92 Well-Known Member

My response was referencing the OP who is blaming the merger on Manley and comparing him to Eaton. The rumored merger is not Manley's idea. It is Elkann's idea. Manley has to answer to him. I was not referencing the rumored makeup of the board of a yet to exist corporation. Leaks are just that. Leaks. In this day and age it means nothing. We don't know much yet. Remember the Renault deal was "in the bag" until it wasn't. As a great old Allpar member once said: "It ain't official until it's official."

Tony K and ScramFan like this.
  14. dartndodge

dartndodge Well-Known Member

A merger of Equals?......cough.....

Its gone from, Direct Connection to the French Connection....

I vote to get rid of Fiat with the deal.....Im sure there are some Chinese or Indian company that would buy Fiat......Pleeeese, buy Fiat...

Time to revive Simca, Talbot and Hillman, Sunbeam, Humber?

15. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Isn’t it all in here? Confessions of a Capital Junkie...
    https://www.autonews.com/assets/PDF/CA99316430.PDF

If FCA wants to play in Europe it needs to scale up. And while GM thinks it can survive on NA and China will see how that will work out in the long run...

ScramFan likes this.
  16. cygnus

cygnus Well-Known Member

What a disaster - we make all the profit and have no voice. Our fate was sealed the day an American company didn't buy Chrysler in 2009 (leave it to GM screw that one up as well).

This company is a comic tragedy. Reminds me of that scene in Batman where the villain takes over the New York Stock exchange and some yuppie floor trader tells him "there's no cash here, there's nothing to steal."

His response was - "Really? Then why are you people here?"

Chrysler is going to be looted for its cash, again, when the time comes. And it will come.

#76 cygnus, Oct 30, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    XRT2SRT, willy4110 and wtxiceman like this.
  17. NWbyNW

NWbyNW Active Member

I'm both excited and worried. In one way this could work great for Chrysler and Dodge getting new platforms or electric vehicles. Opel's are nice rebadged! But at the same time this could go HORRIBLY wrong with just more mouths to feed and Chrysler and Dodge being deemed obsolete and possibly disappearing. We all know PSA wants to be in the states and their cars would likely be taking Chrysler's spot...

I'm apprehensive. Even scarier in this deal is that PSA would hold the majority of chair seats.... why not make it of equals? :-\

18. vipergts2207

vipergts2207 Active Member

I’m cautiously optimistic. Hopefully the new company learns from the lessons of Fiat, and realizes that you can’t just bring a European brand over here and expect people to be ok with buying it in place of the American brands. Particularly since European cars are generally smaller, which we don’t like here in the US. I’m guessing and hoping this causes more change over in Europe than it does here. Fiat and Peugeot can get better economies of scale over there by combining. I’m sure there are some synergies to still be had with the NA market, though probably fewer.

#78 vipergts2207, Oct 30, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    Don W, MoparJoe and ScramFan like this.
  19. James A

James A Active Member

I'm not holding my breath on any new platforms and with this news I'd hate to see Dodge cars turn into PSA mobiles. This new worries me more than anything.

20. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Observations and Questions…

1) How does this merger look if you forget about branding, design, and marketing, and you look at it strictly from a perspective of factories and production. After all, the first and most important decision when you design and engineer a new model, or replace a model, is where will it be built? What does the resultant company look like factory wise? Where would it make sense to produce whatever?

2) It is obvious now that, though Nissan and Mitsu are almost afterthoughts in the US, their EV expertise was an important part of the Renault deal. Nobody has made more BEVs. I think getting that expertise, and those factories, was what FCA really had it’s eye on. I mean, in two to three years, we could have seen well made BEV Renegades, rolling off assembly lines. That would have been HUGE!

3) Darn the bad luck. I am a Motorsport enthusiast, and the Renault merger would have made John Elkann the owner of a powerhouse of Motorsport: Renault F1, Redbull F1 engine supplier, Ferrari Suderia, Alfa Romeo F1, the vaunted Nissan Motorsport, Nismo, etc. etc. With PSA, they do get the planet’s premier rally team (and that IS saying something), but that’s it. Am I missing anything?

4) Does this doom Lancia, or does it make sense to bring Lancia back as a niche manufacturer? Near luxury BEV, with a side of rallisport?

5) It makes a ton of sense to Americanize some of those crossovers and import them as Chrysler’s, especially if they are BEV.

6) I personally think that it would be monumentally stupid NOT to make Ralph Gilles the head of global design of the resulting company. He is the absolute best at what he does. There are perhaps only three or four folks (none of whom work for PSA or FCA) are close to being as good. Perhaps now, for the first time ever, the world will get beautiful French cars?

Thoughts?

XRT2SRT, Tony K, rmtodd and 2 others like this.