AF: FCA + Peugeot in Talks | Page 6 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA + Peugeot in Talks

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dan Minick, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Yeah, I have no idea how this is gonna play out so I’m just gonna be optimistic and see what happens.

One thing’s for sure though, this is gonna give us LOTS to talk about for the conceivable future. :)

Morty, Chebby7, Tony K and 5 others like this.
  2. BEEAH

BEEAH Well-Known Member

#102 BEEAH, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  3. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

Agreed. I do think the fact that PSA is "cleaner" than Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi is a very good thing. PSA is isolated to Europe, and has the platforms that are needed to rebuild FIAT, Lancia, Chrysler, and small Dodge cars and all of the small CUVs in the FCA portfolio. Really what FCA brings is additional scale, a healthy balance sheet, and market presence in the US. This move SEEMS to be all about scalability and platform investment for the future. Will be interesting to see if all of the legacy brands survive, but quite frankly, we were facing that decision with or without the merger.

BASONE88, danbek, Tony K and 5 others like this.
  4. Real585

Real585 Active Member

100% right.

5. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
    Level 2 Supporter

Yes, Manley the bean counter that fought to make sure that Jeep kept then increased trail rated capability instead of fizzling out /sarc

Manley is a big reason FCA has done as well as it has, I'm sure he'll just be moved to another position.

Chebby7, GasAxe, Tony K and 7 others like this.
  6. hmk123

Level III Supporter

If I remember correctly, SM said you are either in the top 5 or you are nobody in the industry. Hopefully they can stay #4 or even improve from there...

Equally important, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles on Thursday posted record adjusted earnings of $2.2 billion in the third quarter and its North American margin climbed to an all-time high of 10.6 percent.

XRT2SRT, AlfaCuda, tlc and 2 others like this.
  7. Ryan

Ryan Moderator
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

#107 Ryan, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    Bill Sample, Morty, wvutuba and 20 others like this.
  8. mentalicca

mentalicca Well-Known Member

5 Board Members chosen by FCA, 5 by PSA. The CEO is the final board member (who happens to be Tavares for the first 5 years).

My guess is that Manley will be maintained as some chief officer overseeing the FCA side of things.

As far as concern for the more enthusiast side of things (Jeep/Dodge, and Ram to some extent), this eases my mind:

Tavares "has been an amateur race car driver since the age of twenty-two.[2] He has competed in the Rallye Monte-Carlo Historique.[1] He also collects classic cars and owns a 1979 Peugeot 504 V6 Coupé, a 1976 Alpine A110 and a Porsche 912 from 1966.[1] He also had a career as a rally driver until the early 1990s."

He appears to be a car guy.

@Ryan I think that would be a fantastic way to bring Chrysler back to relevancy. That said, I would hope they would intend to use the UConnect system, seeing as how it still is the gold standard by which other infotainment systems are judged.

pumadog, Chebby7, XRT2SRT and 12 others like this.
  9. mentalicca

mentalicca Well-Known Member

The more I look at the newer DS's, the more I see how easily they could fit into the current Chrysler image (in terms of exterior style)

Chebby7, HotCarNut, ScramFan and 4 others like this.
  10. Ryan

Ryan Moderator
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Take a look at that interior I added to the post above. With a 10" Connect system, it would be incredible.

11. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

One of the sites says he's to be COO.

12. djsamuel

Level 2 Supporter

I'm optimistic given what Tavares has accomplished to date combined with (and due to the fact that) he is also a car enthusiast. I think he could potentially have the impact Marchione had and perhaps be even better for the long haul.

pumadog, HotCarNut, Tony K and 3 others like this.
  13. Dragonkat

Dragonkat Active Member

I'm cautiously optimistic about this deal, I'll like to believe that this would be a fantastic way to bring Chrysler back to relevancy!

14. Andy69

Andy69 Well-Known Member

I think the whole DS brand was big fail. DS5 is already stopped production because very slow sales., they should have sticked with Citroen name.

15. hmk123

Level III Supporter

I don’t know what PSA’s financial situation is and IMHO it is too early to tell how successful Opel will be integrated but IF PSA is doing ok this should actually make people who fear for US resources happy because now the European side of the house is getting a (hopefully strong) partner. And there is no US overlap. On the contrary, some Opel and Peugeot vehicles might do very well as Chryslers. To me the original Chrysler 200 concept had some resemblance to the Opel Insignia.

Tony K likes this.
  16. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Put a U connect and a Chrysler badge, call it a Nassau, and start shipping these to the dealers. They would sell here.

Ian, HotCarNut, Donte Lindsey and 3 others like this.
  17. superduckie5000

superduckie5000 THE MAD DUCK
    Level III Supporter

HOW COOL ANOTHER MERGER OF EQUALS !

HOPE IT TURNS OUT BETTER !

burtstwins, wvutuba, MoparJoe and 5 others like this.
  18. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

19. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Next year’s Detroit auto show will be impressive if this goes through and they put some effort into this...

Tony K and Chris mopar like this.
  20. Lampredi

Lampredi Well-Known Member

From Automotive News: Dongfeng seen retaining major stake under PSA, FCA deal

The merged entity of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and France’s PSA Group is likely to end up with a major Chinese shareholder, with Dongfeng Motor seen hanging on to its stake in the French company.

China’s state-owned enterprises typically invest for the long term and for access to their partners’ capabilities and technologies, said Bill Russo, founder of Automobility, a Shanghai-based advisory firm. It’s unlikely Dongfeng will use PSA and Fiat Chrysler’s planned merger as an exit opportunity, he said.

“Chinese [state-owned automakers] need the capability pipelines from foreign partners to stay relevant in a market that requires complex vehicle and systems technology integration skills that they generally lack,” Russo said.

The fact that this merger is going ahead with Chinese owners on board is beyond incredible, as this issue should have been a deal-breaker. It only goes to show how utterly desperate FCA is to find a partner - any partner - to merge with. One can only hope that the Trump administration has some leverage that it can use to prevent this merger from going ahead with the Chinese government as part owner of the new entity (though to be honest I don't see what leverage that could be).

Also, the fact that Carlos Tavares still hasn't managed to disentangle the undesirable partnership with Dongfeng after being CEO of PSA for half a decade, reflects poorly on him. In comparison, Sergio Marchionne took the helm of Fiat (FGA) in 2004, and already in 2005 he not only managed to end FCA's undesirable partnership with GM (which at the time owned bigger share of FGA than Dongfeng currently owns of PSA), he even convinced GM to pay about 2 billion dollars to do so.

somber, Quambi and 77 Monaco Brougham like this.