AF: FCA Preparing to Recall Approximately 1 Million Vehicles for Emissions | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA Preparing to Recall Approximately 1 Million Vehicles for Emissions

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by 1999 White C5 Coupe, Aug 5, 2020.

1. 1999 White C5 Coupe

Level 2 Supporter

2. paullybob

paullybob Well-Known Member

I've had a "U3" emission recall outstanding on my 2016 Dodge Dart for years. I've called FCA Canada a few times and they say there is no fix and they won't pay for an aftermarket replacement of the catalytic convertor which seems to be the cause of the problem. I have ZERO belief I will ever get this addressed from FCA ever!!

Rob Johnson JR likes this.
  3. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

#3 Beentherebefore, Aug 6, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    AvengerGuy and Rob Johnson JR like this.
  4. WXman

WXman Active Member

Ouch.

Wife and I bought a 2018 Cherokee new and it's burned oil like crazy ever since.. I'm talking quarts (plural) of oil between changes. I've noticed that if I use a thicker viscosity it slows consumption, but that's only a band-aid fix. I did mention it to my dealer when it was at low mileage and he offered to do an oil consumption test, but I was afraid that the wife would not want to drive out of her way to another city on a regular basis to let them continually monitor oil levels.

5. 1999 White C5 Coupe

Level 2 Supporter

So you’re going to keep a vehicle you bought new that has a defective engine?

UN4GTBL likes this.
  6. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

My 2018 Compass doesn’t burn any oil.
    It’s due for its third change soon.
    I’ll report back what I find.

7. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I've had 3 of the 2.4 engines. Fortunately I had no oil use issues with any of them, though two of them were hooked to 9 speed transmissions that developed very harsh shifts in under 20k miles (and nothing the dealer did helped other than generous trade allowances).
    My friend bought his first ever Jeep and it stalled on him. Less than 2k miles and it had burned through enough oil it quit running. Dealer simply topped off the oil and returned it to him. Great customer service there. Guess who's had their first and only Jeep?

8. KCP Worker

KCP Worker Well-Known Member

I would hope your friend recognizes the service manager dropped the ball and that FCA wasn't given the chance to rectify the problem.

Bob Lincoln and AvengerGuy like this.
  9. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Trust me, FCA was involved. They eventually threw it back at the dealer and told him his only option was arbitration with the dealer.

10. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Looks like the older 2.4L engines like in our 2009 Journey are not impacted.
    I just did a recall on my 2016 Charger Hellcat. 2015 to 2017 Hellcats are getting new catalytic converters because apparently they fail prematurely. Recall notice says you need to get it done in California before the registration renewal (due to Covid there is some lenience).

11. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Good to hear is not for the 1.4T engine in my Spider. My brother's Compass has this motor, though.

12. stroudtom

Level 2 Supporter

Wife had a 2013 Dart 2.4l that burned 1.5~2 qt per 3000mi. Glad we traded that for a Pacifica Hybrid.

Rob Johnson JR likes this.
  13. Rob Johnson JR

I have driven several FCA products over the years with the tigershark and every single one was rough, gutless and sounded like crap with NVH problems that made buying the car they were in impossible. Just a turd.

UN4GTBL, rapidtrans and vipergg like this.
  14. Charger Red

Charger Red Well-Known Member

Yes. Long ago I learned that even if you're willing to go further than most customers do in making stealers accountable for their dishonest practices, the Manufacturer will inform you that each stealer is an independent business and your issue is between you and them not Chrysler, Daimler, Cerberus, FCA, StellantWhatever, etc....

UN4GTBL and Dave Z like this.
  15. vipergg

vipergg Well-Known Member

16. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

I’ve been posting about the excessive oil use in my 2018 Compass here for quite some time. I’m still going back to the dealer every 1000 kms for an oil consumption check because the thing seems to vary in its use between 1 L/4000 kms in the winter to 1 L/2000 kms in the summer. FCA’s limit is 1L/3000 kms, so I’m right on the edge. It’s become very frustrating and at this point I’m just assuming I’ll be taking it back to get the oil topped up until the lease is finally up next year. I’ve never looked forward to getting rid of a car so much. A piece of under-engineered junk.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  17. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

... and this is why everyone should be sad that Pietro Gorlier has gone back to Europe.

It is a bit odd since the original 2.4 did not have this problem at all.

18. ECT72

ECT72 Active Member

Interesting. Had a 2017 renegade with no oil burning issues at all. Obviously read about all the others that have. Article doesn’t mention oil burning as cause of emissions issues. True? Also had an Audi with same problem. Was thinking at the time there’s NO WAY a car burning a quart of oil every thousand miles can pass emissions/ smog

19. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Recalls are generally for safety and emissions violations. I have heard that running low on oil has caused some no-starts or stalling due to the MultiAir needing oil pressure to actuate valve lift. That would be a safety concern.
    Oil consumption otherwise might become a 7/70 FTC campaign.

UN4GTBL likes this.