AF: FCA Preparing to Recall Approximately 1 Million Vehicles for Emissions | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA Preparing to Recall Approximately 1 Million Vehicles for Emissions

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by 1999 White C5 Coupe, Aug 5, 2020.

1. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

They'd just give you a BS excuse anyway. My Abarth has used oil quarts between changes since new and they did their little test and told me "it basically a racing engine, they use oil" Gee thanks. There's no way someone could drive it and make it to another oil change without it running extremely low or dry all together.

UN4GTBL and gforce2002 like this.
  2. prowler

prowler Well-Known Member

Has there been as bad run of catalytic converters or are some saying that excessive oil consumption has ruined them?

I'm sure FCA doesn't manufacture converters so it must be a vendor issue with quality control.

3. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

When they implemented Multiair, they also moved to a much thinner oil requirement. Whether those are related, I'm not sure. In any case, my belief is that they changed the oil viscosity requirement without doing any reengineering to the rest of the engine. If you're lucky enough to get one that had pretty close tolerances, then you're lucky. If not, you're burning oil like crazy.

Dave Z and tlc like this.
  4. gforce2002

If you have one of the affected engines, I don't think anyone really starts to become aware there's an issue until the engine suddenly and without warning shuts down. This can be on a side street (like mine did thankfully) or in the middle of a busy highway. Mine even activated the electronic parking brake. FCA has determined that burning one litre per 3000 kms is "normal" and anything less than that is perfectly acceptable. So, I'm left to go back to the dealer every few weeks for an oil top-up.

5. IronMike3406

IronMike3406 Well-Known Member

Our 2018 Renegade has no oil burning issues. We run 5000 miles between oil change intervals I do check my oil at every fill up. Must've gotten a great one. But then again I am a fanatic about maintenance on vehicles.

6. valiant67

valiant67 ...

It has nothing to do with maintenance when a brand new car goes through 3-4 quarts of oil in less than 2000 miles. You either get a good one or a bad one. Most people likely get a good one, but there is a large number of bad ones out there.

UN4GTBL, Doug D, tlc and 1 other person like this.
  7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

A longtime issue for BMW and GM owners comes to FCA...
    It does sound like the issue is the thin oil, since the 2.0 TigerShark, as I recall, does not have MultiAir or any of these problems.

8. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

If I am not wrong the 2.0 and 2.4 Tigershark engines use the same oil grade.

Checked. 2016 Dodge Dart owners manual

"... Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade) — 2.0L And 2.4L Engine MOPAR SAE 0W-20 engine oil or equivalent Pennzoil orShell Helix is recommended for all operating tempera-tures. This engine oil improves low temperature startingand vehicle fuel economy. Your engine oil filler cap alsostates the recommended engine oil viscosity grade foryour engine."

"... Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade) — 1.4L TurboEngine MOPAR SAE 5W-40 synthetic engine oil approved toFCA US Material Standard MS-12991 such as Pennzoil,Shell Helix or equivalent is recommended for all operat-ing temperatures. This engine oil improves low tempera-ture starting and vehicle fuel economy. ..."

The 1.4 has the MultiAir module, but uses a 5W-40 oil grade.

Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.0T MultiAir (GME engine) oil is Mopar API SNPLUS Certified SAE 0W-30.

#28 MJAB, Aug 8, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    Stéphane Dumas, tlc and ScramFan like this.
  9. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

1.3 turbo?

10. gforce2002

It’s possible the 2.0 does have the problems but the total numbers are so much smaller the issue may not be reported much. All complaints I’ve read (and there are tons) have been the 2.4 though.

11. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

For european market these are some of the oils grades used in engines.

Gasoline engines
    - oil SAE 0W-30 ACEA C2 / API SN technical specification 9.55535-GS1 for 1.4 Turbo Multi Air, 1.0 Turbo Firefly and 1.3 Turbo Firefly (150 CV and 180 CV)
    - oil SAE 0W-20 API SN technical specification 9.55535-CR1 for 2.4 Tigershark

Diesel engines 2.0 16V Multijet and 1.6 16V Multijet
    - without AdBlue (urea) system: SAE 0W-30 ACEA C2 technical specification 9.55535-DS1
    - with AdBlue (urea) system: SAE 0W-20 ACEA C2 technical specification 9.55535-DSX

12. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I guess maybe there just aren't a lot of 2.0s out there.

13. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

What's the difference?

14. WXman

WXman Active Member

Yes, because it's under warranty and she doesn't want to get rid of it right now anyway. As it nears the end of powertrain warranty we'll start looking to trade it. In the meantime I've just been using higher viscosity oil which slows down the consumption considerably and is probably better for the engine anyhow. This thing runs HOT under the hood. 5W40 is probably best.

15. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

No use of oil!! Yeah!!!!!

page2171 and Zagnut27 like this.
  16. edvan

edvan Well-Known Member

I only buy FCA products, my wife only buys Subaru. A world of difference. Luckily, I have had few problems with my vehicles, but the service my wife gets from Subaru is amazing. A few years ago, there was a three month wait for her next Subaru. She called Subaru of America and they sent her a check for $1000. We have a joke in our family, if I have a problem, Chrysler sends me a brochure, if she as a problem Subaru sends her something like a beautiful blanket. In the last few years, most of our neighbors have bought Subarus. It is not just the car, but the service from SOA. I have been buying FCA since 1969, I am convinced they will never come close to the support of SOA.