AF: FCA / PSA to be called Stellantis !!!! | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA / PSA to be called Stellantis !!!!

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Fast Eddie, Jul 15, 2020.

1. marlon_jbt

marlon_jbt Well-Known Member

I like it. It's modern, doesn't contain ANY of the old negative connotations of either brand, and moves the companies forward.

I guess I'll just wait for my new badge (again)? :D

Tony K, Ryan, TTO_XODJ and 2 others like this.
  2. Rob Johnson JR

And the best part is that a committee all nodded in agreement that this was a good idea. The press release almost made me yak. I like some good marketing doublespeak but it was just pure PR bullpoopies and the automotive world is laughing their asses off......as they should be

LeeRyder likes this.
  3. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

The name isn't even really for the automotive world (people). It was made for the use of filing papers and shuffling money around, most people don't know or even care about corporate names (just ask people about fca and they wont know what you're talking about)

4. rmtodd

rmtodd Well-Known Member

My first thought was that the name was a combination of "stellar", for the Latin word referring to stars, and Atlantis, a legendary lost continent or city said to have sunk into the ocean, thus meaning a sinking star. Then I thought it could be a combination of star and Mylanta (the heartburn drug). Or maybe something to do with Atlanta. Apparently I was only half right.

The name does little for me. Some have argued that the name is unimportant; I would counter that though the name is not very important, attention to detail would include coming up a name that would help the business in some way, with customers/investors, regulators, and/or the public. I already read the statement about how the name stands for a star rising up in the sky or something like that. (I found it too boring to re-read it and jog my memory.) But don't almost all corporations aspire to be successful?

If you look at car company names, some describe the company, like FCA or GM. Many reflect a a family name like Ford or Toyoda or Honda. Some describe a location, like FIAT, BMW or Cadillac. Some are aspirational or inspirational like Infiniti, Lexus, Lincoln, Tesla, or Plymouth. It appears Stellantis is in the latter category.

They could do a lot worse. Consider my list of possible corporate names based on the component parts:

ACCORD - Alfa Romeo Chrysler Citroen Opel Ram Dodge
    CARP - Citroen Alfa Romeo Ram Peugeot
    COAL - Chrysler Opel Alfa Romeo Lancia
    COMA - Chrysler Opel Maserati Alfa Romeo
    CRAP - Chrysler Ram Alfa Romeo Peugeot
    FLAVOR - FIAT Lancia Alfa Romeo Vauxhall Opel Ram
    COPRA - Chrysler Opel Peugeot Ram Alfa Romeo
    FLOP - FIAT Lancia Opel Peugeot
    FORD - FIAT Opel Ram Dodge
    JALOP - Jeep Alfa Romeo Lancia Opel Peugeot
    OPAL - Opel Peugeot Alfa Romeo Lancia
    ORCA - Opel Ram Chrysler Alfa Romeo
    Those clearly are all awful names.

Some people have proposed names based on the idea of how big the company would be, something similar to Global Motors or something of that nature, Those type of names remind me of General Motors, but that name, which was fine for its era, now suggests a huge, non-caring bureaucratic corporate entity looking for government influence and buying up things, the kind of thing that would get the nickname "Government Motors". . It's no wonder that when the old TV show "Fringe" wanted a name for a fictional large evil company, they picked "Massive Dynamic".

Most of the evocative names I mentioned are for luxury brands appealing abstractly to wealthy buyers which names suggesting wealth or historical figures, Plymouth being an exception, but there is still room for names that are evocative in other ways... of freedom to move, of supporting historic and nationally important brands, of providing jobs, of being good for the environment, of making loads of money for investors, of making fun cars, of helping people achieve things, of going fast, whatever might help the company. It's hard to imagine Stellantis helping them do any of those things.

superduckie5000 likes this.
  5. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

As long as I keep getting my pension check I don't care what they call it !!!!!!!!!!!:D

6. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

The Plan from Stell/\ntis. Wasn’t that a 70s tv show?

gforce2002 likes this.
  7. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

Well, there was The Man from Stell/ \ntis, starring Patrick Duffy and Belinda J. Montgomery! Er, Atlantis.

Tony K and freshforged like this.
  8. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

At least it isn’t another boring acronym.

9. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

In the 42 years I worked at Chrysler (1966 to 2007) we were going out of business I forget how many times, had a bunch of name changes, dropped some brands of cars and we are still alive and well. GO FIGURE !!

PS: I remember back in the 70's we were wearing sweatshirts that said "Endangered Species".

Lone Bone, DC-93, tlc and 2 others like this.
  10. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Who cares what it's called. Make intriguing product that is high in quality and that's all people will care about anyway.

XRT2SRT, Chebby7, AvengerGuy and 11 others like this.
  11. dakrt99

dakrt99 Well-Known Member

Just kill me, now.

12. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

Just bring back the Pentastar.
    At our plants and HQ we still have the Pentastar.

Chebby7, DrDan68108, DC-93 and 6 others like this.
  13. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Well, we know where the North American headquarters will be. I wonder how they're going to do their EU headquarters?

14. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

They'll have 3 different operational HQ. For US, Europe and premium brands. But "heritage" brands will keep their HQ location.

ScramFan likes this.
  15. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

NO! The Universe wants you to have a long life, and suffer like the rest of us!:D

AvengerGuy, Tony K and DC-93 like this.
  16. djsamuel

Level 2 Supporter

And if they last over 4 hours get to the hospital. :D

Tony K likes this.
  17. Dart

Dart Well-Known Member

Well this makes it logistically easier to kill off the Chrysler brand. While the Company had "Chrysler" in its name, even if only the initial "C" in FCA, it wouldn't make sense to not have at least one vehicle known as a Chrysler. Now, all kinds of chopping block activity can take place and the name Chrysler will recede into distant memory. I find that sad.

ehaase likes this.
  18. LordHobbit

LordHobbit Active Member

upload_2020-7-16_7-31-43.png

upload_2020-7-16_7-32-9.png

Close enough

georgef, DrDan68108, zevadd and 3 others like this.
  19. hmk123

Level III Supporter

I think it would help if something was added, like "Stellantis Automotive", "Stellantis Transportation" or "Stellantis Motors".

valiant67 likes this.
  20. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

They've been gearing toward euro styling for a decade, changing the name to something European sounding makes sense. Buh-bye Chrysler.