AF: FCA / PSA to be called Stellantis !!!! | Page 4 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA / PSA to be called Stellantis !!!!

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Fast Eddie, Jul 15, 2020.

1. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

Please NO!...Nothing that could even remotely remind anyone of The Occupation!;)

XRT2SRT and Tony K like this.
  2. 77 Monaco Brougham

That one is so horrible that I wish I had come up with it myself.;)

3. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Unless you own stock in it, that is....

77 Monaco Brougham, MJAB and Tony K like this.
  4. DrDan68108

DrDan68108 Well-Known Member

My second thought (the one that followed "What the...") was "Stella = star -> Pentastar!"

The first thing that PSA brings to my mind is medical jargon: a cancer screen for men. I prefer Stellantis to the kind of Frankenstein words that Madison Avenue likes. Peuchrysliat? Nah, probably something worse.

5. DrDan68108

gforce2002 likes this.
  6. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

In fairness, PSA is out of practice coming up with names. After all, it’s spent its entire existence naming things like 205, 305, 2008, CX and DS.

7. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham said:
    And...as for the font used in the logo......It looks like something out of the title of some Sci-Fi TV show.

Lord Hobbit said:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Close enough

Actually...I was thinking the Stellantis logo looked closer to the font from the Sci-Fi series "Babylon 5".
    [​IMG]

8. WXman

WXman Well-Known Member

Names mean things to Americans. That's why Datsun changed. That's why so many foreign companies have come up with "Americanized" names for brands. And then there's also name recognition. I think it does matter, at least some.

I still get harassed about "driving a Fiat" by idiots around here to this day. How bad is it going to get when I'm driving a Stellantis? Sigh...

9. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

This is a name that no one is gonna know or care about just like FCA or Chrysler Group LLC or Chrysler LLC. It is not a brand nor a make it is for paperwork

tlc and Tony K like this.
  10. DrDan68108

I remember that, as a kid, I thought "dachshund" was a homonym of "Datsun" until I saw the breed name in print. Thankfully I saw the difference before I could make an @$$ of myself.:rolleyes:
    As for meanings, I'll take Stellantis over Cerberus, the three-headed dog from hell.

tlc, gforce2002 and Tony K like this.
  11. 55Plaza

55Plaza Well-Known Member

When I saw that stylized "A" in the name, I thought of it immediately as an update of the American Motors logo. And what a great logo to add to all the vehicles produced (marketed) by FCA/PSA! Certainly not as bad as adding FCA/PSA. But it may be too close to the Acura logo.
    I think Stellantis is a lot better than FCA or PSA or whatever combination that it was going to create.

12. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

or a medical screen of the other.

That is literally true for all Stell/\ntis brands. Why assume it's a foregone conclusion when frankly there are lots of reasons for it not to be: Fiat, AR, Peugeot, and Citröen? Fiat is a dead brand already in the US. Most question AR, though I think you can make a case for it, especially after dumping Fiat branded cars, making sure any residual issues with Giulia are resolved and don't creep up in new stuff, and accepting that it's going to be a niche market "M fighter" brand teamed up with Maserati. Neither of the French brands is coming any time soon with this merger, especially under the current COVID economy. Tavares is smarter than that. Opel is the proof.

13. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

Now, I'm probably going to get yelled at, but here goes... The one thing that is VERY Chrysler about all this is that instead of coming up with something that reflected its heritage, name-wise, they threw out the baby with the bathwater, again, and went with something totally new, just like Chrysler did with almost every vehicle it ever made. LOL!

14. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

OK, not yelling...how do you come up with a GOOD name for a new conglomeration of two corporations that were three a decade ago, with a huge number of different brands? Using an esoteric neologism like "Stellantis" is how you get around long acronyms that please no one (whose name goes first?) and just get more ungainly as you add another corporation (PFCA). JM2$ (adj for inflation). In the case of Stellantis, it also gets away from immediate associated negative connotations in the US of Fiat and French cars, right, wrong, or indifferent.

15. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

AMC = Al Most a Car.

LOL, and I worked there 1979 to 1985. A bunch of borrowed parts from others, slapped together best we could. Then, try to make the parts work together in unison!! Fun times!!!

16. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? Chrysler axles, Ford switches, GM engines, Renault brakes and engine controls - that all sounds like a match made in heaven to me!

Bajanbuoy likes this.
  17. 77 Monaco Brougham

The name Datsun should have been left alone in North America. For all intents and purposes, IT WAS the Americanized name, and it had really good name recognition, not to mention sales.

I think changing to NIssan was needless and pointless. The only thing it really did was add confusion.

Don't give us North Americans a new name to have to get used to after we've already become accustomed to the first one!;)

jimboy likes this.
  18. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

And yet, I had fewer problems with my ‘78 Gremlin in eight years than I’ve had with my ‘18 Compass in two.

19. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

Didn't Walter P. Chrysler himself have some German ancestry?

XRT2SRT likes this.
  20. Citation84

Citation84 Well-Known Member

My first thought as well

LeeRyder likes this.