AF: FCA / PSA to be called Stellantis !!!! | Page 6 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA / PSA to be called Stellantis !!!!

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Fast Eddie, Jul 15, 2020.

1. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

God bless the late Richard Teague. Who else would have come up with the idea of taking a hack-saw to the AMC Hornet in order to quickly cobble together an American made subcompact car...which actually beat Pinto and Vega to market by 6 months.;)

P.S. The only thing they didn't do (and should have) was offer a 4-cylinder engine from the beginning...which probably could have been easily done by chopping 2 cylinders off the inline 232.

AvengerGuy and gforce2002 like this.
  2. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

That’s ingenuity...in the face of limited resources.

3. 77 Monaco Brougham

That is EXACTLY the quality / mindset that has been missing at FCA for many years now.

4. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

My ‘78 actually had the VW 2L 4 cyl that was offered for a few years. It was pretty fuel efficient, about 40 miles/Imp gallon on the highway. But it suffered the common problem for that engine of leaky valve seals which made it start burning oil after about 120K kms. Then again, my Compass started burning oil after about 30K kms, so... *shrugs*

5. aldo90731

Agreed. FCA has shown a willingness to launch all-new products just to drop them like a rock, at a pace that would have given AMC or Lido a coronary. Meanwhile, old products are kept on indefinitely.

6. 77 Monaco Brougham

Thank You for saying this loud and clear...so the rest of us don't have to.

7. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

The company started down the right path after the 2011 refresh. Then, sometime after that things began to change, and not for the good. It's like they lost their courage to move forward. Especially after the 200 launch. A bad case of the heebie geebies set in after that.

Donte Lindsey, page2171 and HotCarNut like this.
  8. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

To be fair if you drop that much money into two vehicles and then have to kill them off because you'd lose even more money if they stay around id be pretty hesitant to do anything different too

9. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Stellantis.. sounds like a medication.. or maybe a SciFi locale, or someone was a fan of Stargate Atlantis... o_O.. Maybe a tech company.

But it sounds nothing to do with cars or transportation.

#109 suzq044, Jul 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    valiant67 likes this.
  10. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

AMC/Jeep eventually did. The Gremlin was on the drawing board before they bought Jeep. After the Jeep purchase, AMC had an ancient F-head four cylinder and the Buick V6 engines. The the ex-Willys four wouldn't meet the upcoming emissions regulations. AMC sold the V6 tooling and production equipment back to GM with an understanding that AMC would be allowed to use GM's upcoming Wankel rotary engine in their cars. GM pulled the rug out from under the Kenosha company and the rest is history. They eventually did hack two cylinders off the AMC six cylinder, but much later.

gforce2002 likes this.
  11. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

Corporate weirdos at it again I see lmao!
    What a strange name choice!

superduckie5000 likes this.
  12. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

I think you will only see/hear about this name is on enthusiast forums. Probably will never show up in a showroom unless they become the finance arm.

superduckie5000 likes this.
  13. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

When I had my shop, we used to joke that American Motors meant parts from every American car. the older models with long serving 196 in-line engine, the OHV models could have two different ignition, generator and starter (and those could be mixed) and I think it was 5 different carburetors not counting the ones with 2 barrel. There were 3 Carter one barrels and 2 Holleys. Car would come in for a tune-up and carb overhaul, I had to go look and see what was under the hood before I could give a price.

Then came the Motorola alternators and the BID ignition. If you pulled a valve cover off a V8, the head had a HN where the letters were joined signifying Hudson and Nash. After the new engines appeared it looked like AMC had some winners, they just lost so much they really couldn't recover, The Alliance (Renault/AMC) gave everyone a good taste of French autos.

14. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Ahem...the old "Space Age" started when we decided to go to the moon, not when we actually put Neil Armstrong on it, and was partly an adversarial response between two ideological enemies. The NEW Space Age is commercial and Mars-oriented.

15. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

The Mars stuff is just to get attention, the real stuff is all within Earth’s orbit.

Going back to the Moon seems to just be a way to justify buying stuff we already committed to... and not what the prior president asked for (reaching an asteroid just in case, y'know, something should happen to take up a dangerous orbit.)

16. 77 Monaco Brougham

In the past 50 to 60 years, Mankind has benefited from the technologies, methods and products as side benefits of space exploration.

It's not nationalism or ideology which is propelling this chapter of exploration. The cold reality is that there is an enormous amount of money to be made 'out there'. I'm convinced that the technological advancement resulting will be just as enormous!

In the words of Patrick Stewart's "Jean-Luc Picard": "Let's See What's Out There!"

17. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

I never said the original space program didn't have merit. Just that the current one is baloney. ArsTechnica has been following the gaffes and cost overruns and sweetheart deals with chosen contractors.

The unmanned exploration by numerous countries is the way to discover. Sending humans to the Moon again... what do we really hope to achieve other than justifying a few hundred billion dollars spent on dead end vehicles? (Not new technologies, just new vehicles.) Getting to an asteroid — okay, that has potential. But the Moon? Hell, we could just gather up the spares and do that.

18. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

To the moon? To set up a lunar staging base and launch facility, which would presumably have much utility for many reasons. It's much closer, so we can learn how to do things on it so we're not doing it the first time on Mars, for example.

"In going to the Moon, NASA is laying the foundation that will eventually enable human exploration of Mars. The Moon will provide a proving ground to test technologies and resources that will take humans to Mars and beyond, including building a sustainable, reusable architecture." - NASA: Apollo 50th Anniversary

Zagnut27 likes this.
  19. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

Hey, so long as the company formally known as Chrysler, Daimler-Chrysler, Chrysler LLC, FCA, and now Stell/\ntis is going to go on buying strategic partners, how about acquiring Tacita Motorbiles? http://www.tacita.it/2019/
    I
    ’d think about buying a Tacita T-cruise Urban. And that UTV looks like an excellent hunting rig (stealthy) that might do well in my corner of Washington State.