AF: FCA quality: lousy scores | Page 41 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA quality: lousy scores

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by valiant67, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

I'm still mystified by the constant moaning about the 200's transmission around here. I've been driving mine for almost a year and I have yet to experience a single issue with the car or the transmission.

At least it doesn't KACHUNK into gear like my Journey's 6-speed often does.

2. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Just was in a Malibu rental with 6000 miles on it. Must have been a base but I was not too impressed with its interior. And it already had a number of rattles and squeaks. Don't get me wrong, have had Chrysler 200 rentals with issues, too. I don't know what the secret is to rattle free cars... My dad claims his 2002 BMW 7 series doesn't rattle at all. But his hearing has gone quite bad the past 8 years. Maybe that's the answer... :)

somber, danbek, Ryan and 1 other person like this.
  3. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

The way our Caravan goes into Drive you'd think you had been hit from behind!

Even with your foot firmly on the brake pedal, the whole vehicle shakes.

4. jorisr

jorisr Well-Known Member

Concerning your first point:
    Please show us how you come to this conclusion as this is not what i have seen in numerous publications in the past 25 years.
    When you make such a statement please back it up!

Prabhjot likes this.
  5. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

That used to happen to my 2011. Also, when coming to a stop and it was gearing down into first. In a line of traffic, I actually thought someone bumped me from behind a few times, but when I looked, they were too far back. In the city, it could clunk at any given time, but when cruising, it was fine. It used to shudder, at low speed, when in 'ECON' mode, so I never used it. Horrible shifting trans, but it worked. The Hyundai 6 speed in the Patriot shifts 100% better and knows when to gear down. Pretty sad.

UN4GTBL and somber like this.
  6. Moparian

Moparian Well-Known Member

Do you have the V6? It seems to me that the V6 has less issues than the 4 cyl. IIRC the V6 gets the ZF made 9hp48 while the 4 cyl gets the Chrysler made 948TE

somber likes this.
  7. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

FWIW, when we test drove several 200s with V6 last January, they all drove refined and smoothly. Eons ahead on my dad's 2013 Journey.

8. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

With this I wholeheartedly disagree.

Old Proverb : "A man is known by his doings."

We DO know.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  9. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Well, I can say that when he was trying to cope with the GM tie-up on behalf of the Agnelli family, he cut corners as severely as some here say B. Nardelli did to Chrysler when Cerberus held Chrysler. Quality took a hit from the pronounced Austerity superimposed by Marchionne.

10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Your Caravan needs to be repaired. That is not normal. It sounds like the engine is revving too high at idle. I had a 2006 but I've driven the newer ones and never encountered that....

11. jorisr

jorisr Well-Known Member

While that is an interesting story, the question i asked was:
    If you make the following statement: " When he (Marchionne) took over Fiat, quality ratings dropped"
    Let us see those quality ratings dropping.
    There is a whole lot of data available from numerous sources so it should not be difficult to show us the declining quality ratings of Fiat since 2004 when Marchionne took over.
    There is plenty of data from the years before he took over (Let´s say 1985 - 2003) and from the years since he took over. I know this because i´ve seen a lot of it.
    If you make such a statement show us how you came to this conclusion or don´t make the statement.

gforce2002 and Prabhjot like this.
  12. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Active Member

Marchionne vis-a-vis 'quality' (well, at least manufacturing 'quality', since we know dealer and service quality+perceptions thereof are harder and slower to shift): WCM. I have read a lot of praise for wcm, including from knowing folks. Of course, heavily based on research and going-beyond of the Toyota system.etc.

Alfa's new/re-invented cassino plant, for eg, is regarded as one of if not THE current 'best' there is in the auto industry: hyper-automated, efficient, including ecologically, and with the latest robotics (including, mainly, from COMAU, an fca firm) etc. WCM has predictable-identity/avatae 'critics' on allpar, though, i do realize! ;-)

be that as it may: why has M insisted on spending billions redoing each and every plant in the usa and italy and brazil (+now china, turkey and india too) according to wcm IF he were indifferent to 'quality'? Sure, you could shift the goalpost and just insist that WCM itself is crap, which would open a whole OTHER debate-among-the-deaf-and-ignorant about such matters (some/all of us! ;-))

I realize 'quality', even adjusting for perceptions etc, also involves components' which in turn partly depends on whether fca had/has been able to always leave enough on the table for all vendors and suppliers given the financially straitened existence it had led till about a year ago: hence the plausible claim that some of the stuff being laid at M's callous door is, in fact, a scarcity of resources and margins-for-suppliers issue. Likewise vis-a-vis dealers, esp in the usa, esp due to franchise laws? The nhtsa consent order from 2014 has led to fca commiting to recall hyperbolically, hence the backlog in recall work, warranty parts availibility, and the increased 'sense'/'perception' of fca dealers' service being EVEN worse than it has always been, including pre-2008.

Before Marchionne took over at FIAT Group, he was head of.....a Swiss Testing and Standards firm owned by the Agnelli-s. Interesting fact, no? It may still be, it may still be a highly respected and reputed one as it was when he was its ceo back pre-2003/4, and Marchionne may still be involved in leading it (don't know)?

DAGAR likes this.
  13. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

You conveniently only give part of the story.

Yes, assembly is one component of quality. In that regard, we do not see a lot of problems with fit of body panels and other assembly things. So WCM is working (but line workers will tell you that they cannot stop when defects are clearly evident)

The other part of quality is in the parts that are being purchased for assembly. The engineering and design of those parts is crucial to quality and is where we are seeing most of the failures.

I worked for SGS in New York, the same company where Marchionne worked. It is a testing company hired by outside companies/groups to test products to a particular standard or for a particular set of circumstances. I designed the statistical sampling and oversaw the compliance testing for McDonald's Happy Meal toys. I am intimately familiar with the company and working there does not teach you how to implement quality in a manufacturing or engineering setting.

Powdered Toast Man likes this.
  14. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

No you don't. Sergio wears black sweaters so his favorite color is black. Really? How do you know? It might be a good guess, but you don't KNOW.

Prabhjot and jorisr like this.
  15. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Prabhjot likes this.
  16. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

17. hmk123

Level III Supporter

No worries... I actually don't know how he does it all considering how many hats he is wearing...

18. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I see a lot of these big cheeses wearing multiple hats. Makes you wonder how much they actually "do" if they have enough free time for these other jobs. ;)

wtxiceman likes this.
  19. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

Erik makes a great point. How many of these defects are assembly issues and how many are issues with the parts supplied by third parties? For example, I had every power steering line on my Journey rupture over the winter of 2013 (and there was a subsequent recall on those PS lines about 2 years later). Now that's either a supplier issue or an engineering design issue. That has nothing to do with the assembly line at Toluca.

somber and UN4GTBL like this.
  20. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

Those sound like awful craft beer.