AF: FCA quality: lousy scores | Page 42 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA quality: lousy scores

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by valiant67, Feb 22, 2017.

1. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

I haven't really seen any assembly issues for years. They're all parts design/durability.

2. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

On my last purchase, they never even finished putting the interior together and left a part off. I finished the job for them, which I probably shouldn't have. As for suppliers, I've just received yet another recall notice for the passenger side airbag this time, due to the Takata recall. So, some of it is supplier related. Most people would just blame this on another FCA problem. Takata who?

somber likes this.
  3. valiant67

valiant67 ...

FCA continued to use Takata as a new part supplier up until around this time last year. My 2016 Wrangler will be recalled in the next year because of this. I didn't get to pick the supplier. FCA did (or continued with the decision of a previous owner). So I don't let the manufacturer off just because it's a supplier issue.

JavelinAMX and MPE426HEMI like this.
  4. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

It's had several transmission "reflashes" - and we never use eco mode as that's even worse - although it is better than when we first got it, it's by no means a competent transmission.

2 of our 3 keys don't work anymore, (the one that does was replaced under warranty a year or so ago) so when I have the dealer program them I'll bring it up again.

...and have them check the rear brakes again, as I think there's an issue there again.

5. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

I'm happy to say that we've never had an issue with the assembly of any of our vehicles. Everything has always been put together properly.

The issues we've had are from parts failing.

somber, Dave Z, JavelinAMX and 2 others like this.
  6. MPE426HEMI

In the 5 years I've had mine, I've had one left rear caliper seize, when it was 2 years old (replaced at no cost), The passenger side vent would always blow opposite of what you had the temp set at (cold in the Winter, hot in the Summer) dealer said FCA knew about it but didn't have a solution. (So, I guess I was supposed to just live with it after spending over $30K?) I had the trans flashed once, but I think it was a new shifting strategy for when using ECON, if I remember correctly, but it never did anything for regular mode/shifting. A few months before I traded it, the front exhaust crossover flange let go, due to the studs being rusted off and of course it wasn't an easy fix because the studs are welded to the rear flange (for quick assembly would be my guess) so I left it for the dealership to repair before they resold it. Other then that, it worked. I never liked that van from day one. It seemed cheap and a tin can compared to my 2001 DGC sport. Wife wasn't impressed. It did it's job however. Stow-n-Go was the best but there's a compromise with seat comfort.

7. MPE426HEMI

It's a PITA for sure.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  8. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

Yeah, we've had a few climate control issues too.

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  9. Real585

Real585 Active Member

It is true that FCA under Marchionne has stepped up the quality of its cars compared with former Chrysler owners but , compared with competition , the gap has not diminished. The main reason is a lack of commitment to spend cash for the long term. Fiat has never been able to produce reliable cars in Europe and the culture was very much low cost. Not surprise at all that FCA remains at the bottom of all tables. The issue is that FCA is not managed in order to last as an independant entity. Focusing on quality requires investments and a long term commitment. The Japanese have done it and Hyundai is pursuing the same goal. SM is a pragmatist who knows people will buy Jeeps whatever the reliability score, the same way people will buy BMW cars despite their mediocre reliability. SM wants to sell the business and for that needs FCA to generate better margins....

10. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Hehehehe..... join the Takata airbag waiting club. The driver's side airbag for my '06 Ram 1500 was replaced under recall in January 2016 after getting the initial recall notice in September/October 2015. This past October/November (2016) I received the recall notice for the passenger side airbag. Here it is May 2017 and I'm still waiting. Admittedly I live in a non-humid state (Virginia) according to NHTSA, but I'd like them to come here during the late spring through early September time frame - it gets just as hot and humid as Florida.

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  11. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Then this is at odds with customers, who buy a vehicle with the expectation that it will last for 5-7 years...not until SM cashes in.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  12. Real585

Real585 Active Member

Actually most FCA customers do not know anything about FCA strategy and SM ultimate motives.

13. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I am not saying they do. I am saying that their personal interests and those of FCA are not in alignment.

14. MPE426HEMI

I've got a crazy stack of recall notices at home now. Notices to state the recall, but no parts available and will contact at a future date. I've never had so many recall notices in my life. And not all are for the airbag club. My problem is, and I know I'm being anal about it, but, I have to have two front airbags replaced on my Charger, which I have modded and only take out of the garage a few times a year and never in weather. I really don't want to take it to the dealership and have it left outside for days or a week and let somebody else pick at it. :( Not enthused about that at all.

15. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

16. JavelinAMX

Good point. Not a lot for each hat.

17. JavelinAMX

No worries.

What are you supposed to say when someone Sits on a Board? He's Sitting, and not working? Or is it he or they are Board of Directoring?

Presumably the Board of Directors is accomplishing something useful.

18. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

Most boards oversee the executive team and approve of plans, capital requests, etc. Every company is different and grants different levels of authority to the executive team, but the SGS Board does not get involved in operations.

His role at FCA is leading the executive team, which requires a lot more input (work) than being a board-member.

19. JavelinAMX

Thank you, Erik.

Point was there is a work product irrespective if one considers those seated as one of the Board of Directors as a worker.

20. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

FCA posted this, this morning....

DAGAR likes this.