NewsDoes the Demon stop faster than the Camaro ZL1? • More Waymo Pacificas; public to test • Is this the new Chrysler crossover?

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA quality: lousy scores

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by valiant67, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Member

IMHO, potential buyers might tend to overlook some of the quality scores for FCA if customers were confident that their risk of high out of pocket repairs were low. So a very good warranty would go a long way to give customers peace of mind. A 10 year 100,000 mile warranty would give these potential customers the incentive they need. The other thing that needs to change that has never changed is the corporation needs to give their dealers more autonomy to fix customers cars under warranty. I, as a customer, should never have to call corporate to beg a multi billion dollar company to fix a detective part.

2. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable Level III Supporter

The company also has to make a commitment to that warranty. Not just as a sales tool for the next couple of years, but as a long term vision. They have been using the 10yr/100,000 mile warranty for over a decade now. People know them for that. Ask someone in the street and I bet they'd know that before they could tell you what Chrysler's is.

3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave Staff Member Supporter

Yup — and they have to make darned sure that when you pull into a dealership, that warranty is honored without bull!@#&*!

vipergg, Citation84, Doug D and 12 others like this.
  4. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Active Member

AGREED!

We have a pretty good dealer that we use, but I think that's half the "battle" sometimes for people.

To be fair, any new car I buy now, if I was planning to keep it after the "basic" warranty coverage expired would get an extended warranty. There's just too many (expensive) computers on things now.

Citation84, Doug D and Christopher like this.
  5. aldo90731

aldo90731 Active Member Level III Supporter

FCA warranty coverage changes from year to year.

No one can possibly know what an "FCA Warranty" is, not even salespeople, which is ridiculous.

6. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable Level III Supporter

Yes. On both the dealership and the corporate end. But this means not shorting the mechanics doing the warranty repairs. Pay them an appropriate amount to fix the problem. Don't try to screw the people
    doing the work.

Last year in May I had started smelling coolant in the Charger when I went to North Carolina. Only when I got on it in the twisties, and then it would go away. Over the summer I would smell it if I drove it hard, but it wasn't
    all the time and there was no coolant on the ground.

Before leaving on my trip last year I pulled into Westborn Chyrsler in Dearborn to have to problem taken care of. The service adviser told me it would be $100. I asked why since I had a MaxCare warranty with $0 deductible. "Well, we have to make sure that it is a covered repair." If it was covered, they wouldn't charge me. Knowing it was intermittent, and a dealership's propensity to not find problems like that, I told him to forget it, I'd just wait until it could be reproduced reliably and I left. A month later I was sitting in a rest area in Joliet, Illinois watching coolant run from under my car. When I rolled into Tyson Motor Corporation, they said "Yep, you're leaking coolant." Though by that time it was pretty apparent.

Yes, I could have had them look at my car, but the truth is, I didn't trust the *dealership* to find the problem and I wasn't going to shell out $100 for them to tell me that.

Make it one thing and stick with it. Changing every year or two confuses people. Is it 7/70/ 5/50? 3/36? What? I couldn't even tell you what Chrysler's basic warranty is. But I know what Hyundai's is.
    When I mentioned that I had a lifetime warranty on my car, they said they didn't know Chrysler was still doing that. I explained it was an extended warranty, but they still remembered the unlimited warranty from a decade ago.

My brother has been looking for a car to replace his Dart. He's looked at a number of brands and is more concerned about an extended warranty because of the miles he drives. (100,000 miles would be about 2 years of driving for my brother.) FCA is the only one to offer a "Lifetime" warranty. The GM salesman told him he couldn't touch that and given what my brother had told him, he should stick with Chrysler.

I don't think of a longer warranty as saying you build junk. I see it as the company giving you peace of mind that even if you do have a problem, you're covered.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  7. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work... Ad-Free Member

In Canada, 5 year 100,000 kms powertrain and roadside assistance, 3 year 60,000 kms comprehensive, 5 year 160,000 kms Cummins, and 3 years 290,000 kms Aisin warranty have been the same since I started in late 2014.

8. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Active Member

Was 7/140k at one point for powertrain IIRC

3/60 has been the standard basic for as long as I can remember here though.

9. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work... Ad-Free Member

When we sell a factory warranty extension, (typically matching the comprehensive warranty length to the powertrain, full 5 year 100,000 Comprehensive) I am sure that FCA is getting a piece of that profit that we sell...

10. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Active Member

That would make sense for sure.

11. Ian

Ian Car Freak

They're quite expensive for a used car as well. When my grandmother bought her 200 last year, the cost of the extended warranty was almost half of what she paid for the car...needless to say, it was an immediate no.

12. Chase300

Chase300 Member

Factory extended warranties are sold by many different dealerships...you'd be amazed at the price difference on the same policy by shopping around.
    Probably the worse deal will be at the dealership you're buying the car from.

13. Illegal Machine

Illegal Machine Member

THIS. I extended my SRT's warranty for a very reasonable price. Purchased from Zeller Motors in Kansas (all the Jeep forums recommend them). I'm in Houston, TX.

Dave Z and Ian like this.
  14. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Active Member

True.

I wish there was a Canadian dealer that sold them online for a decent price, like there is in the US

Ian likes this.
  15. crouchta

crouchta Member

Zeller Motors is a great place for everything, price of vehicle included. I used to live there and was always treated fairly on both sides of the store.

GasAxe and Illegal Machine like this.