AF: FCA quality: lousy scores | Page 44 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA quality: lousy scores

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by valiant67, Feb 22, 2017.

1. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Its not US vs Them, its about joining a team that be a success.

If EVERYONE does not focus on the success of a company it will fail. Had at least 12 companies, some big names till I found one I where the bulk was focused on success and recognized everyone who pushed hard. All but the last place did not stand the test of time. You gotta impress the "good old boys" and help each other step up.
    I did not join a union but can see the wisdom in that. A lot of craftsman in NYC worth their wage or else someone else gets the job.
    There are places like upstate NY where if you lose your job you sell your house and move to another state. Ask the IBM people and surrounding towns.

IT AIN'T EASY BUT THE CHALLENGE PAYS OFF sometime.

I'm done with this.

#861 jerseyjoe, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
  2. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Well-Known Member

And that was my point, and JerseyJoe did a good job in presenting it. My union slamming points were only in response to the corporate slamming statements, supporting Erik pointing out CEO slamming is a red hearing, the true picture is not what the media presents out of context.

There is a lot of partisan political hay to be made promoting bogeymen, the media picks a side instead of presenting the facts in context.

For every cooperate horror story you can present to condemn one side, you can show a Big Labor abuse to show the other. Fact is, there is good ones and bad ones on both sides, even the best organizations if they are big enough will have their scandals and abuses, and the worst organizations if they are big enough, can have a cult of personality that hides their abuses and still remains popular.

I've spoken with folks working in Corporate management dealing with unions, and have gotten stories its not as bad as is often made out. That if you have a good union with good shop stewards, and good corporate management with good managers, things run very smoothly and the shop steward takes all the personnel management headaches off the plate of the manager. A lot like the military runs, the commissioned officers deal with the month to month organization and planning as well as all the coordinating outside the unit, the staff non-commissioned officers deal with the day to day organization and management and keeping the troops in line. They communicate daily and work together to get everything done.

Devildodge likes this.
  3. chrisg05

chrisg05 Well-Known Member

The main reason why FCA quality scores are in the toilet is really not hard to see. The main question is, is the management ready to see it. Chrysler and Dodge have what I like to call a perception problem. The public perceives their product as poorly built garbage that is not worth the price point. The public also views it as the company that should have died in the 70s when they bet the farm on large V8 powered cars.

Dont forget that Toyota, Honda, and Dotsun (nissan at the time) were viewed the same way but yet they managed to turn it around in a matter of a decade or two. It was not until the late 90's that the Camry was the best selling car in the US. Before that it was the Ford Taurus until they made that once mistake, produced a car that no one could attach themselves to.

What FCA needs to do is the following:

1) change the perception in peoples minds that chrysler, dodge, and jeep are quality vehicles that will last a good 5 to 7 years before needing major repairs. They once had this when they perfected the EEK line with the spirt/acclaim/lebaron sedans. Those things were tanks, aged well, and got 150k easily before they needed any engine work. With the 3.0v6 and the a413 they were fast/fuel efficient for the times/ and practically bulletproof. The cloud and the LH were just as good if not better. People dont remember that. They remember the last of the dalimer years along with cerbus where warrentees were not honored and the cars were full of cost cutting.

2) Chrysler needs to get an identity. Enough said

3) They need to produce a strong reliable sub compact and compact commuter car for the masses. This is what they are really lacking. They should take a page from Toyota on this. Toyota produces the corolla and sells 100k or more of these things a year. It does nothing special, but start everyday, is somewhat comfortable, gets excellent gas mileage, has adequate acceleration, and has a somewhat pleasing interior. The perception on this car is that is a quality bang for the buck car. Now this car has an engine last updated in 2005, a CVT transmission or choice of 6 speed manual, torsion beam rear suspension, and the most plastic interior I have seen in ages. The Corolla IM, however, is light years ahead and a hatchback, yet more people buy the sedan. Chrysler needs to produce a compact hatchback just like the Corolla IM, and a corolla like compact for the masses. It will fill a void. The mid size segment is shrinking because most with a growing family are going for SUV/Minivan segment for the extra seating and or space. People still need commuters and this is where Chrysler can definitely shine.

4) FCA should take a page from Lexus Dealers on their customer service. When you go in for service, they fix the car right the first time. You dont have to go back multiple times to fix the same exact problem. IF they dont have the part in stock they GIVE YOU A LONER, and the part is in the car within a few days. IT makes the pain of having to fix the car so much easier to swallow. You also dont wait 3 hours for a simple oil change. You wait most an hour and your car is taken at the time given to you when scheduling. FCA are you listening?

Lastly, chrysler cars are no less reliable then Toyota and Honda. IT is how you are treated as a customer. I think the 200 was a better car then the toyota camry or honda accord. I mean a 9 speed zf transmission in a 27k car? It is unheard of (this is the same transmission used in BMW, honda, and acura) Look up the issues that acura had. enough said on that.

I am looking at a mini van this year to replace my toyota camry since we are outgrowing it quickly. I did not think of the sienna or the oddesy. I thought of the caravan or town N country.

Again it is all about perception and bang for your buck

Ian likes this.
  4. moparfan06

moparfan06 Well-Known Member

FCA has no control over this. That is all on the dealer. My FCA dealer treats customers just in the way you describe.

5. valiant67

valiant67 ...

FCA does have limited control. From what we've seen in other posts, FCA squeezes the dealers on warranty reimbursements and isn't timely providing parts. I had the second issue: a great dealer but FCA couldn't supply the part. Fortunately it was cosmetic and not mechanical as it took a few months.

GasAxe and tomit like this.
  6. chrisg05

chrisg05 Well-Known Member

Yes FCA does have control over this. They can force dealers to provide quality service by using survey and customer feedback to recommend dealerships. If you remember a while ago they use to say a Five star dealer. FCA could use the same process to separate bad dealers from.

Percieved quality would come from FCA honnoring the total warrentee instead of the typical, "we cant duplicate the problem" until 36001 and then "oh yeah you have a bad ...... it will cost you 5xx" This is typical of EVERY MAKE AND MODEL, but it happens way to much with FCA. I have a semi bad toyota dealer who is the only act in town. They do the same thing until you call corporate. The difference is Toyota corporate goes out of their way to make you happy. FCA does not all the time.

I have had enough dodge cars to know this. I will give you an example. I had an axle shaft go bad. Paid for the repair got the car back. I stopped at a store and in the parking lot there was a stream of red coming from the car. Brought it back and was told they dont normally replace the axle seals. I told them fix it. Paid for the seal. Got the car back and starting driving down the road and my speedo was not working. Brought it back again and gave the service manager the keys, and said .. come on really? They brought it back in and found the mechanic did not connect it.

I was steamed having to bring it back 3 times in one day. Is this the cars fault? or the Dealer service dept fault? I think the latter. The dealers are who cause the quality awards .....

Ian likes this.