NewsDemon to beat Exorcist? • FCA profits as buyers drop sedans • FCA: more profits

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA quality: lousy scores

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by valiant67, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Ian

Ian Car Freak

It used to be 1 year as well and 2-3 yrs ago, they went to 2 yrs on replacement OEM parts.

2. aldo90731

aldo90731 Active Member Level III Supporter

Same owners; same managers. By elimination, then...

I apologize for any cynicism that may be filtering through my recent posts; it may be from irritation due to surprising quality issues and disappointing dealership experiences.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    MPE426HEMI, somber, GasAxe and 2 others like this.
  3. GasAxe

GasAxe Active Member

Don't apologize Aldo. The frustration you feel as an extremely well informed customer and Mopar fan is a shameful result of how FCA and iterations of Chrysler Corp before, treat their buyers. I'm continually amazed how post like yours, @valiant67 , and others can be criticized while downplaying the consequences of how you're being treated is doing horrendous damage to FCA's reputation in the eyes of the general public, many of whom hate or mistrust anything coming from Chrysler and company already.:(

BobbiBigWheels, Ian, dakota21 and 4 others like this.
  4. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Active Member

They've done it to themselves. Not anybody's posts on here. If we don't like it, then there's a problem. Think the buying public will care if they ever straighten themselves out? There's lots of vehicles elsewhere to buy.

wtxiceman, GasAxe and UN4GTBL like this.
  5. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Active Member

Agreed.

I don't actively encourage my friend's to buy FCA vehicles, because I'm afraid of what will happen if something goes wrong. I think this would be a little different if all of our Chrysler vehicles were as problem free as our '07 Caravan (My Caliber was a warranty monster, and our current '11 Caravan has had some hiccups) But I try and give them fair, unbiased help.

I have a couple friends who have purchased FCA vehicles and have been very happy with them thankfully! They would ask me about certain things after they had already made up their minds on them. (Such as which dealer and salesperson to deal with, and if I know of any issues with the vehicles - of which I've always been very happy to recommend the salesperson that I have dealt with for years, and I'll do a little research on a vehicle to help them get the best one they can - both available features and potential issues)

My one friend bought a Caravan a couple years ago, and have been really happy with it, so they just traded it for a new one this week

Another friend bought a Ram EcoDiesel last year and has been very happy with it (other than the cost of the oil changes, as he wasn't expecting it)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  6. moparfan06

moparfan06 Member

Ian likes this.
  7. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Active Member

I gave up recommending a few years ago. Like you said, I'll be the first one they'll blame for "making" them buy it. Recent dealer shenanigans put the nail in the coffin for me on recommendations. It's so hit & miss, I won't take the chance anymore.
    But here's the thing. I know people who've had a few minor hiccups with recalls or minor repairs, on FCA vehicles,of that I wouldn't give a second thought to, but these people act like it's the end of the world. I've also talked to people with Hondas and Toyotas who've had engine and transmission replacements and drive with blue smoke tails all the time and think their cars are great. And would buy another one. If it were me, I'd be out of my mind. I certainly wouldn't buy another one.

8. Illegal Machine

Illegal Machine Member

The rattle in my panoroof that I talked about earlier (and had two visits to the dealer for) has been corrected. By me. In 2 minutes.

I sat in the back seat and bumped the rear pane with my hand. Heard a rattle from the front. Loosened the 6 torx screws and pushed the front up a bit. Tightened. 3 days now with no noise.

:-/

aldo90731, MPE426HEMI and UN4GTBL like this.
  9. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Active Member

This is a thing. I don't know why, but it really is.

I had a friend ask me for used small car recommendations, and another friend of mine has an old Matrix, so I asked her how it was. She said it was great, no problems with it. I drove the Matrix a few months later, only to see the CEL on, missing interior panels, and just general disregard for other things.

But the front suspension was all original, and it was QUIET. That was something that actually did impress me, despite it having 3x the mileage my newer Caliber has.

Friend #1 eventually bought a Versa, but I think it's needed some work, and the A/C went on it last year.

MPE426HEMI and Ian like this.
  10. Illegal Machine

Illegal Machine Member

There is a serious Apple iBlindness with owners of Toyotas and Hondas.

11. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Well-Known Member Level III Supporter

Yes, but, like Apple, Toyota and Honda EARNED that blind loyalty through years of hard work making quality vehicles.

GasAxe, aldo90731 and Ian like this.
  12. Illegal Machine

Illegal Machine Member

I get that. But I've had plenty of conversations that start, "Oh! I've never had problems with my iDevice...except this one time and this other time......and this update erased my contacts...".

UN4GTBL likes this.
  13. Erik Latranyi

Yes, perception and branding are what makes people excuse quality problems. Look at Jeep. The Jeep Brand is very valuable, but it is plagued with quality problems that are "forgiven" because it is a Jeep. Apple, Toyota and Honda get that same mulligan (Happy St. Patrick's Day reference).

Fiat, Chrysler and Dodge do not get that because their brands have very little value in the minds of people.

UN4GTBL and aldo90731 like this.
  14. aldo90731

aldo90731 Active Member Level III Supporter

I agree. But I'd further qualify with these edits :)

UN4GTBL and Erik Latranyi like this.
  15. Erik Latranyi

No problem. Good edits!

aldo90731 likes this.