AF: FCA recalls 365,000 vehicles for backup camera | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA recalls 365,000 vehicles for backup camera

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by aldo90731, Apr 8, 2020.

1. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

The Associated Press reports that a software glitch causes the rearview image to stay on the screen more than 10 seconds after the vehicle has been shifted out of reverse. This causes potential driver distraction and an increased risk of crash.

The recall covers 2019-20 Ram 1500 and 3500 pickups, Chrysler Pacifica, Dodge Durango, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Wrangler, Renegade, Dodge cars, and 2020 Gladiator and Cherokee.

No crashes or injuries have been reported.

FCA recalls 365,000 vehicles over rearview camera display issue

2. 1999 White C5 Coupe

1999 White C5 Coupe Well-Known Member

My son had numerous safety recalls issued for his 2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman 4x4.

It seems as though FCA and the other manufacturers just can’t build a vehicle without a “software glitch” - which is computer-speak for defect.

3. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

I’ve had this issue for pretty much the last year with my Compass! Except by “more than 10 seconds” it means the entire time the vehicle is running until you completely turn it off. Mine has an extra feature where it alternates the backup camera with a blank solid blue screen.

Bajanbuoy, Zagnut27 and aldo90731 like this.
  4. WXman

WXman Active Member

Haven't seen this on my '20 Ram, but I have seen the black screen that won't respond to any functions. That seems to be common across all UConnect systems in my experience. It doesn't happen often, but when it does it's annoying.

5. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I’ve had bouts of no volume or full volume in my 2019 Ram 1500 Classic, but no camera issues. The radio going to full volume was pretty startling.

6. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

I haven't quite owned it for a month yet, but I haven't seen any Uconnect glitches on my 2019 Grand Cherokee so far. My 2015 Charger had bunch of them, most frequently delayed volume and tuning control. I could turn the volume up and it wouldn't do anything, so try it again and it would still do nothing. A little while later it would finally turn the volume up all at once. Sometimes it didn't show that my phone was connected through USB and I'd have to restart the car to play media from my phone. Once or twice, the back-up camera didn't come on. Hopefully the improved processor in the newer models will prevent this from happening in my Jeep.

7. georgef

georgef Well-Known Member

My 2019 Compass will very rarely leaves the backup camera on until I restart, I haven't had the blank blue screen yet.

8. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

If it's anything like our 2019 RAM issues will come and go as the please

9. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

This particular issue for me only started after a little over a year. It didn’t follow any software update so either part of the issue is mechanical or just by random chance it didn’t start until then. It’s done it every couple of months since the first time though.

The really frustrating thing is that once you notice it’s doing it you’re often already underway and can’t stop. Meanwhile you have no access to anything the screen controls such as audio, climate control, navigation, etc.

10. moparfan06

moparfan06 Well-Known Member

My 2018 Ram 2500 with 8.4 UConnect did that once. I backed out of a parking spot and the image stayed on the screen until I restarted the truck.

11. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

So far my old school tech 'turning my head to look back' hasn't gotten stuck in that position and has always turned back forward.
    Works pretty good still for being almost 58 years old.
    Just a bit of Friday humor.

Tony K, djsamuel, AvengerGuy and 4 others like this.
  12. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

My '06 Ram 1500 has no such feature (backup camera) so like you I have to turn my head and use my mirrors. Even when I drive my wife's Equinox (w/backup camera) I really don't use the backup camera much. I still use the mirrors and turn my head. Old habits are hard to break. And like you I'm 58 years old.

tlc likes this.
  13. Mastertech63

Supporter

Sometimes I find it difficult to turn my head and when that happens I worry that it might get stuck once turned!:eek:

tlc, cdjr77, aldo90731 and 3 others like this.
  14. valiant67

valiant67 ...

A good camera will show you things you'll never see no matter how much you twist your head. A camera is a good enhancement, but not a substitute for looking in the mirrors.
    A camera is really nice on a truck. You'd be amazed by how large your blind spot right behind the truck is.

Tony K, thebluegoat, tlc and 5 others like this.
  15. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Yep, considering the top of the tailgate is at least 4' high and you can't see anything below it. My son loved the backup camera on his '07 Avalanche. Made it so much easier to backup or lineup the hitch to a trailer.

I imagine it is something I could get use to. I don't drive the Equinox enough to be comfortable with it.

16. HWDan

HWDan Active Member

About 2 years ago, I backed the 2017 Charger out of the garage, parked on the driveway and waited for passengers to get in. My driveway meets up with a 3-way stop sign.

Before I put it in reverse again, I noticed a Jeep stopped at the stop sign in the display. So I waited .. and waited ... until I just figured they were on their phone or something so I put in reverse and turned around to visually back out but there was no one there! Then I realized the screen had froze on the shift into park and it should have turned off then anyway. Had I been moving, I would have realized it sooner.

Every other week, the UConnect would either glitch needing a reboot, or the USB ports would lock up needing a fuse pull to get working again. Last year on a hunch, I swapped the USB 3.0 stick I had connected for a smaller capacity USB 2.0 stick. It's been problem free ever since.

Dave Z and somber like this.
  17. vipergg

vipergg Well-Known Member

gotta love computerized everything ...

gforce2002 likes this.
  18. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

Good thing they're forcing this technology on us!

Lol.

19. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

tlc and valiant67 like this.
  20. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

I had a similar problem on my Dart, I thought it was the UConnect but it turned out to be a bad drive!
    Also, on our 2006 minivan, we had a nasty rattle that I finally localized to... the water bottle we had brought in. The ring was a very hard plastic and rattled against the cap.

link3721 likes this.