AF: FCA & UAW Corruption - An Excellent Detroit News Article | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA & UAW Corruption - An Excellent Detroit News Article

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by 1999 White C5 Coupe, Dec 18, 2019.

1. valiant67

valiant67 ...

That is disappointing to read.

2. ShawnP

ShawnP Active Member

Yes it is.

UAW wanted to play.

Sergio played the game.

Will soil his legacy.

3. willy4110

willy4110 Well-Known Member

I agree; SM's halo is beginning to fade....for some people. As for me, I never thought he had a halo!

4. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Now we know part of the reason that money for new product was limited. :rolleyes:

wtxiceman likes this.
  5. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Question is: did the author of the article do much more than read the GM accusations? I realize there are also some quotes in there. Since this lawsuit has come up I have had no doubts that it might have some merit. But I really have a hard time believing SM arrived at Chrysler in 2009 with a grand plan to take over GM within the next decade...

#6 hmk123, Dec 18, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  6. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

Speaking for myself, I think anyone actually thinking SM was scheming and plotting that far in advance is giving him way too much credit.

suzq044 and hmk123 like this.
  7. rmtodd

rmtodd Well-Known Member

That was a lot of trouble for Marchionne to have gone to to create a merger that would have been fought by rank-and-file workers, generated public boycotts due to layoffs and a perception that FIAT had used U.S. taxpayer money to fund the destruction of 2/3 of the U.S. auto industry, opposition from dealer groups, and major antitrust scrutiny, especially in pickup trucks.

It might have ended up a huge clash of corporate cultures, with GM's bureaucracy dominating the merged company. It's not that unusual for a merger to combine the CEO of one company with management mostly coming from the other. It also might have resulted in a company unready for a European merger and poorly-equipped to pay on its own for extremely expensive electrification technology that in the near future will only generate significant returns in Europe.

#8 rmtodd, Dec 18, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    hmk123 likes this.
  8. hmk123

Level III Supporter

The article almost reads as wanting to be adopted into a movie script...

serpens, tomit and rmtodd like this.
  9. hmk123

Level III Supporter

By the way, when did the original investigation start?

#10 hmk123, Dec 18, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  10. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Normally the way this works is each one of us arrives with our own set of morals and ethics, and goes from there.

The US has some of the toughest anti-trust laws, and the Feds a long tradition for going after anti-competitive, monopolistic behaviors. Actions Marchionne might have deemed within the accepted boundaries of legal behavior in Italy don’t necessarily fly on this side of the Atlantic.

But ignorance is no excuse. He was raised and educated in Canada —in law no less, and as the principal of an entity doing business in the US, he was expected to follow the law.

Even if he was truly unaware that he was breaking US law, FCA has a legal team that should have known better. Whether Marchionne was willing to listen is another matter.

In my opinion, all the legal safeguards were in place. He just didn’t feel bound by them.

#11 aldo90731, Dec 18, 2019
    Doug D, page2171 and valiant67 like this.
  11. aldo90731

I agree. But I’d say this is all in character. Marchionne didn’t have to plot too far into the future; he always showed an opportunistic streak and a willingness to take big risks. And so he did.

According to the definition:

op·por·tun·is·tic
    /ˌäpərt(y)o͞oˈnistik/

adjective
    • exploiting chances offered by immediate circumstances without reference to a general plan or moral principle.

wtxiceman, Zagnut27, hmk123 and 2 others like this.
  12. hmk123

Level III Supporter

I agree with you and I realize the Irishman is just a movie. But some of it is based on historic events and makes you wonder if this side of the Atlantic was/is that much different? :) I agree this isn't the seventies and eighties anymore but still makes one wonder how the world works today...
    Totally agree with you regarding control mechanism within the corporate leadership structure.

#13 hmk123, Dec 19, 2019
  13. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I have some old friends who work in various investigative agencies within the federal government. Some of the things that go on behind closed doors would blow your mind. This kind of crap occurs probably more often than one might think unfortunately.

Ryan and aldo90731 like this.
  14. aldo90731

I think it happens in cycles; right now we seem to be coming out of an era when those in positions of power feel above the law —e.g., Dieselgate, Carlos Ghosn, Sergio Marchionne, the Boeing executive(s) who approved that flight software...

Perhaps, in hindsight, the Great Recession of 10 years ago will prove a lot more traumatic than we thought.

#15 aldo90731, Dec 19, 2019
  15. BASONE88

Supporter

FACT; There is no shortage of corruption in that article.

FACT; There are so, so many players in that corrupt arena.

It seems suspect, IMHO, that certain misconduct is being cast (all over) someone who no longer has an ability to say his peace. IF we (or they), essentially, say a certain person is guilty until proven innocent it appears more like a smear(just MHO).

Why would a smear occur? Is there a chance that certain entities or individuals or groups dislike and or want to stop the success of another entity? I fear that's a possibility.

I think it is pretty easy to draw a line between what has been occurring in the UAW and anyone who has had to "roll around in the mud" with them. In other words, every character is guilty by association. Most should be familiar with the old adage if you choose to role around in the mud with the pigs, you too, will be muddy.

The word "choose" is a loaded one here. As in, there really isn't one(a choice). If you are running a car company in the United States, it is more an obligation.

So you don't like a certain company? Hmm, what to do? Or, a certain individual? No thing to trap them because they're not playing ball.

Seems like you could have the best of intentions and motives, there, and still end up in a heap-of-trouble.

FACT; There is no shortage of dislike (and envy) for what Sergio accomplished in his life(from his adversaries). And how did it (success) all come about? Corruption? No.

ScramFan, T_690 and hmk123 like this.
  16. ShawnP

ShawnP Active Member

He saved Chrysler.

Tens of thousands are employed now because of him.

Plants have been given love for the first time in decades.

A new plant is coming online.

New products rolling out.

He was human and had his faults.

In the end.

As a MOPAR geek I thank him.

He saved my beloved MOPAR.

tlc, BASONE88, ScramFan and 1 other person like this.
  17. 1999 White C5 Coupe

1999 White C5 Coupe Well-Known Member

tomit likes this.
  18. benjmopar

benjmopar New Member

The UAW and all the auto manufacturers have been corrupt since the beginning, as is almost everything else we deal with in society. Whether it be US Presidents coming into office with a million dollars to their name and leaving with 80 million all the way down to how little league baseball team players are selected in your home towns. I still remember our district UAW rep. telling us to be happy with $12/hr (after a 3 year wage progression) during contract time in 1998 and that they would never approve any strike fund money because it was only for the assembly plants. Hearing people cry making nearly twice that is almost amusing.
    Remember when Ford needed that big billions of taxpayer dollars loan in 2007 to keep jobs here and then promptly handed most of it out to the executives and moved jobs anyway? Where's the stink on them never paying the taxpayer back ? Point is corruption is everywhere you look and rarely does anyone in the elite class ever have to pay the piper.