Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA US LLC, Receipt of Petition for Decision of Inconsequential. Noncompliance.

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Hemidakota, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

AGENCY: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), Department of Transportation (DOT).

ACTION: Receipt of petition.

SUMMARY: FCA US LLC (FCA US), (f/k/a Chrysler Group LLC) has determined that certain Mopar Service seat belt assemblies sold to FCA dealers as replacement equipment in certain model year (MY) 1992-2018 FCA US motor vehicles do not fully comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 209, Seat Belt Assemblies. FCA US filed a noncompliance report dated July 25, 2017. FCA US also petitioned NHTSA on August 17, 2017, for a decision that the subject noncompliance is inconsequential as it relates to motor vehicle safety.

See attachment

Attached Files:

2. FreeLantz

FreeLantz Well-Known Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Just the ones sold as replacement equipment? Not the standard assemblies? Why would they not be the same?

I've had issues with the latches in both of my JK's. Had to replace one on the '07. On the '13 I was able to take it a apart and get it working again.

3. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

They are the same. When they are sold to be installed aftermarket as replacements they are required to have instructions. When installed at the factory they don't need to instruction sheet. That's all this is. It has nothing to do with the seat-belt operation.

FreeLantz, somber and UN4GTBL like this.
  4. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

As Dagar wrote it is the "I-sheet" and it is the text of the PDF file of the link of first post.

"...
    Noncompliance:
    FCA US explains that the non compliance is that the Mopar Service Seat Belt assemblies sold to FCA US dealerships for use or for subsequent resale to dealership customers for the subject vehicles, were sold without the proper inclusion of the “I-Sheets” (i.e., “Installation instructions” and “Usage and maintenance instructions”), and therefore, do not meet all applicable requirements specified in paragraphs S4.1(k) and 4.1 (l) of FMVSS No. 209.
    ..."

"...
    In over 25 years and hundreds of thousands of parts sales, FCA US is not aware of a single field incident or consumer 11 complaint arising from the absence of an I-Sheet during the sale of any Mopar Service Seat Belt assemblies.
    ..."

Were sold "approximately 728,100 Mopar Service seat belt assemblies".

5. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

A stupid mistake, seems minor but certainly would open FCA for liability if a vehicle with a replacement seat belt was in an accident and injuries resulted that could be seat belt related. A claim could be made due to improper installation.

DAGAR likes this.