Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fiat 124 road and rally cars

Discussion in 'Fiat News & Rumors' started by Dave Z, Mar 2, 2016.

1. T_690

T_690 Active Member

It's interesting how in most European tests 124 is described as a better handling car than Mazda.

2. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work...
    Level 2 Supporter

3. Morty

Morty Active Member

If l am not mistaken, it is the 1.7 liter engine from the 4C with app 300hp.

WS23Mopar likes this.
  4. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Yes, it is the longitudinal versions of the 1750 TBi engine, renamed "1.8 bialbero".
    Turbocharged, direct gasoline injection.
    The gearbox is a sequential unit from Sadev.

The 1750 TBi is also in Alfa Romeo Giulietta, always in transversal position.
    To note that they have developed the longitudinal version of that engine, but it is not used in other cars.

AlfaCuda, Prabhjot and Morty like this.
  5. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

I wonder is there any hope of putting a lower-tune version of this engine into the non-competition Abarth? The 235 CV tune used in 4C and Giulietta would make a fine range-topper for the "street" 124 range.

Quite a few US tests note this too. The disadvantage the US press has with the 124 is its lower engine power and the need to remember to keep the engine on-boost.

BASONE88, Morty and AlfaCuda like this.
  6. Harry75

Harry75 Active Member

the -Abarth 124 Rally-

will participate in the Rallye de Montecarlo, from 25 January to 01 February 2017.

[​IMG]

3 cars will participate in the GT class.

drivers will be: François Delecour/Dominique Savignoni, Gabriele Noberasco/Daniele Michi and Luca Betti.

best christmas present this year.

[​IMG]

#46 Harry75, Dec 24, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    Prabhjot, AlfaCuda and BobbiBigWheels like this.
  7. Harry75

Harry75 Active Member

you can now place your order for the Abarth 124 Rally.

download brochure from this link: Abarth Racing

a bit further down the page is:

FIND OUT WHERE YOU CAN
    ORDER YOUR ABARTH 124 RALLY

click on it and you get 6 different addresses, top is:

ABARTH & C.
    Italy

Fabrizio Caminiti
    Cel: +39 331 6294885

124rally@abarth.com

do not forget to post a picture on allpar with you behind the wheel......

-------------------------------------

16 dicembre 2016 -
    Nel 2017 parte il monomarca che si disputerà in seno al Campionato Italiano Rally. La 124 Rally pronto corsa costa 140.000 euro.

run this on google translate to find out more about other races in 2017.
    Trofeo Abarth 124 Rally, lo Scorpione torna alle corse

#47 Harry75, Dec 24, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    BobbiBigWheels likes this.
  8. BobbiBigWheels

Level 2 Supporter

$140,000 Euros?

Ugh - well hopefully they'll add it to my Rally video game.

Attached Files:

Harry75 likes this.
  9. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

140k is an absolute bargain for a competition-ready rally car these days.

Harry75 and AlfaCuda like this.
  10. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

11. BobbiBigWheels

Level 2 Supporter

Is the 124 to be strictly an asphalt rally car? What's the likelihood that WRC would have a 124 in its field?

12. Harry75

Harry75 Active Member

n
    strictly asphalt???????????? no way.

the video is of a demonstration during the Bologna Motor Show, result everybody is talking about it.

look at some of the youtube videos concerning Rallye de Montecarlo (25 January to 01 February 2017) and you will see it is mixed.

Rallye de Montecarlo - YouTube

Rallye de Montecarlo is WRC.
    more WRC races?

not in 2017, from what i have heard, but maybe some of the italian allpar members might know more.

#52 Harry75, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  13. Harry75

Harry75 Active Member

thank you for the link, i had only seen the photo's from Bologna.

it is remarkable that the drivers prefer the gear change via the flippers, rather than use the gear stick.

14. Morty

Morty Active Member

Quicker, and you do not need to remove your hand from the steering wheel:)

15. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

I think that they have only the paddles to change gear, I don't see a second lever near the one for rear brakes.

Rally cars are expensive.

There is also another Abarth for rallies, but I don't know if they continue to sell it.
    It is the Abarth 500 R3T, initially was introduced for an Abarth championship for rally races.
    The cost, ready to run, was something less than Euro 50k.
    It is not for sure the fastest R3T car, most winning cars are the Renault Clio R3T and Peugeot that have bigger engines (1600) and in which their sport divisions invest many money in development.
    Price for A Clio R3T in kit to mount was in 2015 Euro 72k, ready to run something between Euro 85k/90k.

Prabhjot likes this.
  16. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

I'm pretty sure the WRC is now as standardized as Nascar, so unlikely to see a 124 there.

17. Morty

Morty Active Member

The 124 is homologated to the FIA "FIA R-GT" rules, which is a subcategory, or class, and can take part in WRC rallies where this class is invited. Depends on the number of entrants, l suppose.

Harry75 and KrisW like this.
  18. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

I think the confusion is that WRC is both a prize tour (for the "World Rally Championship") and a formula ("World Rally Car"). Some rallies on the WRC tour calendar also host rounds for other local championships. R-GT cars will likely be used these other championships, rather than another globe-trotting circus like WRC.

Right now, there's a huge gap between the "club" rallying formulas (one-makes, classics, S2000 etc) and WRC, and R-GT is intended to bridge this. Competing in WRC is far beyond the means of any normal individual or group - you need a large corporation behind you, with money to spend on travel, prep, and the car itself (a WRC car starts at a half million euros and goes up from there - and then there's spare parts.) For an up-and-coming driver, it's (just about) possible to run an R-GT car with the sort of sponsorship you'd get from local or national businesses; having to raise the much larger amount for a WRC car could cause that driver to abandon the sport completely or stagnate at a lower level of competition.

BobbiBigWheels, Harry75 and Morty like this.
  19. BobbiBigWheels

Level 2 Supporter

That's what I thought. Looking at the 124 Rally and its specs didn't really seem to line-up with the rest of the WRC field. I wanted a VW Pollo fighter.

EDIT: and to add to that, I don't see FCA sinking half a shmillion into a Rally program.

20. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Of the Abarth 124 R-GT that will race at Montecarlo one will be of Milano team (France) with the "official" pilot Francois Delecour, and two of Team Bernini (Italy) that recaived the cars two days ago.
    R-GT class for now has few partecipants, but since cost are as prohibitive as for other rally classes, could be an interesting class in next years. A little bit a return to end of '60 / '70 rallies, with cars near to street versions.
    [​IMG]

Hereafter one of the Team Bernini cars, they were testing a young pilot to drive at Montecarlo instead of one of the already announced (it seems economic deal didn't go well with that pilot).

Some news here and some photos, including one of the engine.
    That is the longitudinal version of the one used in Alfa Romeo 4C, Giulietta (and that I don't know why is not used on other cars).
    Fabio Andolfi spunta sul…Monte (e non solo)