Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fiat 124 road and rally cars

Discussion in 'Fiat News & Rumors' started by Dave Z, Mar 2, 2016.

1. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work...
    Level 2 Supporter

So do you feel as though this Abarth will garner much attention from the Rally world? I only enjoy Rally at its highest level, however, watching some of the amateur stock rally crashes can be entertaining.

2. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

The problem with last rallies is that the new cars are too much far from production models, they have only the exterior that looks like a car in production, but just look at how wide are.
    Now FIA and WRC organization for this year, trying to get more audience, allowed for higher power, but only for official team and their WRC+ cars. But already they are saying if there will too dangerous they will go back.
    If they wanted to make something like "group B" than cars should not look like a car You can find on road. If they wanted rallies look like post group B cars, than they should make rules so the cars are really derived from production cars like was in '80 and mid '90.

And than there is the length of the races, a Rally of Montecarlo nowdays had in 2016 16 stages for 378 km, in '80 - mid '90 You had from 30 to 36 stages and a length from 600 to more than 850 km (maximu should be 1986 with group B cars and 36 stages for a total of 867 km).
    And for Montecarlo rally the cars with their pilots had (till 1996 or 1997) to start from one of five cities around Europe and drive to Montecarlo.

FIA already destroyed the GT car races since introduction of "balance of performance", so instead of a "motor sport" You have now a "motor show event".

Harry75 and Morty like this.
  3. Harry75

Harry75 Active Member

the DAKAR 2017 will start in 2 days time 01-02-2017 (or europe style 02-Jan-2017)

may i invite all rally fans to share know-how, opinions and anything else in this allpar thread:

The DAKAR 2017.

[​IMG]

jimboy, AlfaCuda and BobbiBigWheels like this.
  4. BobbiBigWheels

Level 2 Supporter

I totally understand that - but do you not agree with their methodology? I can't be bothered to watch a junior hockey game, but love the NHL.

5. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Tyres test (Michelin) for Montecarlo rally in northern Italy.

6. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

7. BobbiBigWheels

Level 2 Supporter

Mr Red Livery has some beautiful lines...

8. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

The cars for tests were 5, some, the "official" ones, has some different parts such as internal door panels in fiber carbon composite and ???, while the "clietns" ones use other materials.

The one that used the red livery car is Francois Delecour and it is strongest of the pilot doing the tests (don't know if there was also Alex Fiorio, that is probably at same level).

Delecour is a former WRC pilot, last regular season was 2002 or 2003, and was a Ford pilot.
    He raced with a WRC car in Montecarlo rally in 2012 (Ford) and classified 6th overall.

Last years was racing also in R-GT class with a Porsche 997 GT3 homologated R-GT.
    In the following video is the one driving the second car, the one sponsored by "Visit Romania".

9. BobbiBigWheels

Level 2 Supporter

Love how there is a Porsche with a giant "TOYOTA" sticker on the front fascia... Beautiful lines driven in that video.

10. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Dressed for the race.

It look like they have a different rear extractor, or is just cleaner :)

11. BASONE88

Supporter

Monte Carlo begins 1/20/17, no? What class (or competitors) does the Abarth 124 run in (with)?

12. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

BASONE88 likes this.
  13. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

In R-GT category there are 4 cars this year at Montecarlo Rally, the three 124 and a Porsche 997 GT3 RS 4.0 RGT.

Number 21 driver is Francois Delecour, 23 Porsche Romain Dumas, 25 Fabio Andolfi and Gabriele Noberasco, that is a"gentlemen driver", with its self sponsored 27 car.

BASONE88 likes this.
  14. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

The 124 number 25, driven by Andolfi, had to abandon the race after stage 8.
    During stage 8 he crashed against a tree. Car cannot be repaired to continue the race.
    After stage 7 he was classified 22th overall and after stage 8 26th.
    His comment after stage 7 was that they had problems with loss of grip since the low weight on rear of the car.

#74 MJAB, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    BASONE88 likes this.
  15. BobbiBigWheels

Level 2 Supporter

I don't see an issue with grip there, I see a driver unprepared for a slight right into a left hairpin. He would have had to be going 20 km/h slower prior to entering that turn to make that.

BASONE88 likes this.
  16. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

He made similar mistake also in the morning there in stage 5, but without crashing. Another one in stage 4.
    From the times that he was making in the morning, faster than Delecour, it seems it was driving too much fast.

17. BobbiBigWheels

Level 2 Supporter

That combined with the bad camber from the right to the hair pin left, if your co-pilot didn't throw a "caution braking, bad camber outside, don't cut" you would be going blind into that.

MJAB likes this.
  18. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

He was not the only one that had problems in that place.

19. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

The number 21 car, driven by Delecour, had to abandon the race since broke the differential.

BASONE88 likes this.
  20. BobbiBigWheels

Level 2 Supporter

Yup... But notice how much slower these cars are entering this corner. That 124 was f-lying in comparison.

MJAB likes this.