Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fiat 500 refresh idea.

Discussion in 'Photo and Video Lab' started by james.mooney., Aug 11, 2016.

1. james.mooney.

james.mooney. The Poster Formerly Known As "Bethlumboy"

Sloppy chop to show how the 500 could be updated using cues from the 124 Spider to attract more American buyers. I kept most of the design in an attempt to stay as true to the original as possible while giving it a true upper grill and more aggressive headlamps. I've stated in other threads that I think that the European styling may be off-putting to American car-buyers. This is an attempt to show what I think might be more in line with American tastes.

If they were to do this, they could do it for the North American 500 only, although I suspect that the styling could be accepted in Europe and other markets where Fiat is strong if it were presented as a modernized evolution of the 500's retro styling (like the latest Mustang redesign). fiat 500.jpg

They could have taken a similar approach to a PT Cruiser redesign rather than de-contenting, neglecting, and ultimately killing it.

2. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Nice. Agreed. News item soon...

james.mooney. likes this.
  3. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Active Member

No chance of them even considering such differentiated 500-stylings, imo.

Now: the 124 Spider aesthetic deployed on other, larger than 500, future models (if any), THAT would make beautiful sense, given that the original 124 also had sedan (for eg) avatars. The 124 Spider has all the makings of a retro-star born-again, and so in a couple years' time an extension of that 'line', like in the good old days, could be a great and viable possibility?

A version of the Tipo hatch restyled as a 124 one and/or a PT Cruiser one, would make for a very interesting, inexpensive yet differentiated proposition that would work in NA and Europe+LatAm?

@james.mooney.

#3 Prabhjot, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    freshforged likes this.
  4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I do hope that the 124 does well. It is a looker like the old Pininfarina cars. It may be the only Fiat remembered favorably and fondly in the US. The dealership studios do need help.
    Most of us are too old to remember the 500 in the US and our 1974 128 was the worst car ever. The 131 also bombed.
    There is nothing wrong with a stronger family resemblance between models. The 500C, 500L and 500X already do.
    Gas is cheap is why the current 500/Dart/200 flubbed and trucks are doing so well IMHO. Once in a while I do see a 500 cabrio with the top down and driven by little old ladies.