Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fiat ARGO: the 'new Punto' (x6h) for LatAm

Discussion in 'Fiat News & Rumors' started by Prabhjot, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

En entry-level Tipo could do the trick, but that is not in the plans now. Once they modify the Tipo for Dodge (sportiness) or Chrysler (mainstream) it loses the appeal that makes it sell elsewhere......basic, cheap transportation.

2. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

Which is why......after almost two decades now......the former Chrysler Corporation still misses and NEEDS Plymouth.

3. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

No, because FCA is no longer a mainstream manufacturer. They are niche manufacturer comprised of niche brands.....and that is the way management wants it.

M.O.D. likes this.
  4. Lampredi

Lampredi Active Member

FCA, like FGA before it, appears to be solving the world's automotive overcapacity problem by gradually taking itself out of the equation, leaving room for other manufacturers to grow and prosper.

5. somber

somber 370,000 miles
    Level III Supporter

Insiders here say that the reduction in vehicles are in the less profitable segments, so those other manufacturers can grow (in volume), but maybe not so much in profit. I'm not an industry expert, but I don't like the moves they've made to exit the segments totally. I hope they are considering a way to re-enter these markets with higher margin vehicles that don't require huge volumes, but that seems unlikely.

I think I'm a disappearing demographic. Vehicles I'm particularly interested in buying are sedans and minivans. Dropping sedans for CUVs may be better for the company, but not better for my needs. As a costumer, I love Mopar because of its products (vehicles, drive trains), not so much the company itself. The Pacifica is looking very good - it's the real bright spot for me in the lineup. I like my Charger, but would rather have a sedan with better fuel economy. I'm averaging a little under 29 MPG with it, but would like something closer to the mid 30s like my Neon was. Hopefully the next gen Charger will address fuel economy a bit better.

6. v.b.

v.b. Active Member

While they are dropping the consumer mainstream sedans, they are getting into specialty niche sedans which may suit enthusiasts more.

v

Prabhjot and ScramFan like this.
  7. Harry75

Harry75 Active Member

Petrol price in the Netherlands is euro 1.49/ litre makes $5.64/US gallon.
    You drive a lovely Charger and you pay around $2.65/US gallon.

My advice fill her up and put your foot down and forget about fuel consumption.

jimboy likes this.
  8. Lampredi

Lampredi Active Member

The Giulietta successor (should it ever see the light of day) should ideally be offered in hatchback and sedan variants, to compete with the likes of the A3 and CLA. (But I suppose the ridiculous strategy of transforming Alfa Romeo into a de facto subsidiary of Jeep is just so much more important. :rolleyes:)

9. M.O.D.

M.O.D. Active Member

10. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Betim plant (Brazil) - Fiat Argo production

KrisW and Prabhjot like this.
  11. romalerig

romalerig Well-Known Member

First official pic:

[​IMG]

Source: autopareri.com

pumadog, Medicin-Man and Prabhjot like this.
  12. romalerig

B side:

[​IMG]

Source: autopareri.com

pumadog likes this.
  13. jorisr

jorisr Well-Known Member

Medicin-Man likes this.
  14. romalerig

BASONE88 likes this.
  15. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Active Member

It seems to've been designed in order to appear 'butch' enough to ALSO appear well as a 'Cross'/'Adventure' raised ride-height, bigger tyres, tweaked suspension+cladding.

Also, pretty involved, 'sculptural' body-panel work.

More MOBI than european Tipo, or rather halfway to both.

Brazil has a special liking for such hybrid 'cross'-styled hatchbacks, after all. FIAT does it with the MOBI and the UNO too, as it used to with the Palio.

The interiors, the new FIREFLY engines, the long feature list and vastly better materials+fit-finish inside are its usp, assuming FIAT Brazil's ultra-competitive cost-base. A premium, solidly engineered and well-built new rendition of what FIAT is so good at: the aspirational middle class, yet mass-market and affordable-good-value, vehicle in 'emerging markets' like Brazil, India, Mexico, etc.

The x6s will similarly replace the Grand Sienna+Linea in latam.

FIAT, imo, will see excellent demand for these 2 models (Argo+x6s) in Mexico+Argentina too.

One wonders whether the cuv-version will just be a 'cross' or a heavily restyled one? Either way, its cuv version will make for very good offering, a good well-priced and decent-margin fit into the FIAT lineup in europe too, given the current rage for small cuv-s?

AND/OR: the Jeep b-suv avatar of the Argo will be that exported-to-europe model? That all-new, sub-renegade Jeep is also confirmed for rhd India and exports from India. 2019? Unlike the rhd Argo and rhd x6s, foreseeably.

Of course, the European version may have a whole different plati-tecture, namely a version of the susw, while being similar in styling/etc. In which case: so will the Indian one since the Indian Jeep project '526' is surely also meant as an export to UK, Japan, Australia+NZ etc one.

Brazil's still in the economic doldrums, BUT fca has unlike all others used the latam recession very well so far, what with the Pernambuco Jeep renegade+Compass, the Toro, and the growing-well exports to mexico, etc. Argentina's sales rebound is ongoing and pretty strong. Meanwhile, the sheer age of the models the Argo and the x6s are replacing (Palio, Punto, Linea, G Sienna) has meant a large drop during the recession in pv marketshare, while NOT accumulating losses in Brazil. i.e., now they can re-grab marketshare, thereby growing well despite the still-ongoing recession in Brazil. With exports a large supplement (free trade pacts.) Or so the plan seems to be.

FCA capacity utilization (they do have large capacities in Brazil) is low though, due to the Brazil recession, which is why it would be strange if exports to europe were not also explored/planned for the Argo and/or its cuv siblings (FIAT and Jeep.)

#35 Prabhjot, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
  16. Medicin-Man

Medicin-Man Active Member

Now, this is finally a Fiat model that has something to it. I wouldn't mind seeing it here in Europe too. It would be another successful car in Fiat's line-up. :) Doesn't it look more upscale than it actually is? I do think so!

somber likes this.
  17. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

They need to bring it to Europe. I am really surprised that it actually looks good!

Medicin-Man likes this.
  18. Lampredi

Lampredi Active Member

Will there actually be a European version? I thought the Punto was cancelled? (Maybe it was 5 minutes ago, but it's been revived now? Or is this considered a "different" vehicle from Punto, perhaps?) Where will it be built, in that case? Serbia?

19. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

I can certainly see the family resemblance with the 500X. I'm going to assume this is a little smaller than the 500X.

My first instinct is that they should fit this thing with a Chrysler front clip, and see if they can sell these in North America. This certainly stirs my pulse and gets my blood pumping more than a Tipo derivative might.

At this point, what does Chrysler have to lose?

somber likes this.
  20. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Active Member

Marchionne said recently: no Punto replacement for FIAT in europe. That, essentially price+discount=value+quality, task belongs to the Tipo-s.

That's correct.

However a cuv version, say as the nextgen, larger PandaCross and/or a Jeep 'Jeepster/Jeepinho' b-suv below the Renegade (and differently styled?), priced well below the Renegade+500X mightn't be remiss for Europe, which is every bit going-as-crazy-for-cuv-form as anywhere else?

Personally, as a Punto owner, I find the front of this ARGO pretty trite: completely lacking in 'that' Italian-styling-composition. Too chunky, square, headlamps a tad too big etc? Un-musical. The rear, however, is a triumph. As will the interior design+materials etc am certain (for what the car is and for whom it is aimed at.) Ah the pure wedge-shape, minimalist proportions of parts-to-whole Giuigiaro-designed Punto, by contrast. The Argo seems design-language-wise: anti-Punto!

Actually if they were to bring the Argo to europe, a whole different front, namely a la 124 Spider would be just the ticket, no? With gse 1 litre turbo and gse 1.3 liter turbo, plus ddct? etc.

It is disheartening that they are not yet looking to extend the reborn 124 nameplate into another premium-within-mass sub-brand, as they so famously 'managed' to with the 500 lineup, and with Abarth.

The trick for a brand like FIAT is to cut the cost-of-manufacture via globalized scale and esp of development, that way margins in these sectors in the European market are possible over time, sustainably. Surely for that reason alone the Argo project, being fca brazil-centered almost entirely, as was the Tipo/Aegea in Turkey, as is the JEEP k8+yuntu in China and the Jeep a/b-suv in India, deserves a European future, too. Even as fca italy goes almost entirely premium, sports and luxe: namely Alfa, Maserati, Jeep, advanced powertrain r&d and manufacture, etc.