Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fiat ARGO: the 'new Punto' (x6h) for LatAm

Discussion in 'Fiat News & Rumors' started by Prabhjot, Apr 20, 2017.

1. AlfaCuda

AlfaCuda Active Member

Interior shots IMG_5690.JPG IMG_5691.JPG IMG_5692.JPG

Medicin-Man and butJohnDoe like this.
  2. Medicin-Man

Medicin-Man Active Member

3. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Active Member

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA0KktwoPmQ

telling use of music (Olivier francois signature? or just brazilian pop culture trait?) for this ARGO launch video! Nice indeed.

BUT: no match for the main TVC, which is pretty cinematically-awesome.... i mean spectacular.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hanP_WfcOY

Sigh, @Medicin-Man unless you or say me (a current Punto and Linea owner) move to Brazil or Argentina the Argo is un-buyable! Foreseeably. ;-)

That's ok because me and mine might, soon, be getting the Jeep sibling(s), available locally made this year (Compass, rhd) and next 1/2 (Renegade. plus a small Argo-related/based smaller than renegade one too.)

Medicin-Man likes this.
  4. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

The modular platform is named MP1, of the predecessor on which Fiat Punto South America and India was based there is in common the 20%.

AlfaCuda and Prabhjot like this.
  5. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

This and Tipo should be in America.

AvengerGuy and TripleT like this.
  6. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

Make that 2 votes for Argo and Tipo in North America.

I think we can safely say that the 500 family......by any objective measure.....has been nothing short of a flop.

7. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

Tipo, yes, and it probably will arrive (but not as a FIAT) once engines/import tariffs/etc become clearer; Argo, I just can't see. It would be too small. This might be the shape of a VW Golf, but it's a smaller car - something between the size of the 500 and the 500X.

Prabhjot likes this.
  8. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

This is smaller than the 500X. It remains to be seen how the Argo was developed. The platform used for it is used in developing countries and the crash tests will show if it's possible to bring it to Europe or North America.
    I think they're missing a chance by not producing the Tipo in Mexico and flooding the US with it. The Argo would have a harder time though.

9. Lampredi

Lampredi Active Member

Well, there are hardly any other modern Fiats ;). But I don't think the Argo's styling would work in Europe.

Medicin-Man likes this.
  10. Lampredi

Lampredi Active Member

I doubt that people in general would cross-shop Jeeps and Fiats, though.

11. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

FGA Cheerleader brought this review to my attention:
    Primeiras impressões Fiat Argo - Já aceleramos as versões 1.3, 1.3 GSR e 1.8 HGT (at https://br.motor1.com/reviews/145824/primeiras-impressoes-fiat-argo-aceleramos-as-versoes-13-13-gsr-e-18/ )

Here's a not direct translation and a few extra comments

It says that Fiat is going through a rough patch in Brasil because their products are too old (ring a bell? :p) and saw their sales numbers drop 400,000 units in two years.
    They also focused their investment on Jeep and in establishing Jeep in Brasil with the Renegade and Compass duo.

The Argo is considered the most important launch for Fiat in Brasil in the last two decades since the Palio was launched in 1996. Its platform is an evolution of the platform of the latin american Punto (which uses a different platform than the Small-Wide platform used by the european Punto by the way, even though the sheet metal is similar). It's considered a new platform since it only retains 20% of the components of the old platform.

The Argo is 7% more rigid to torsion, 8% to flexing (Not sure if these are the terms used in US english) and it weighs 8% less than the old Punto. Fiat is expecting the Argo to obtain 4 stars in the Latin NCAP crash tests. If this is accurate then I think the car will do great. However, it won't ensure that it can be sold in developed markets like North America or Europe because:

I bet that it would be abysmal in Euro NCAP tests if they didn't account for the extra Euro NCAP tests when developing it. So I consider this will do well in Brasil and India.

It has an internval volumetry of 2806 liters (not sure how that translates to imperial units but it's a subcompact in the US). The trunk has 300L capacity, which for the segment is very good (even in Europe).
    It has a Cx of 0.34.
    They mention that the interior is very good (for the class mind and by brasilian standards mind you). In their opinion, it is more roomy than the competition (Chevy Onix and Hyundai HB20) but smaller than the Dacia Sandero. Fit and finish is the best they've seen in a sub-compact Fiat in Brasil, easily at the level of the pick-up Fiat Toro (which shares a lot of its interior components with the Renegade). It has the most recent version of the uConnect already present in the Fiat Tipo and Jeep Compass, with Android Auto and Apple Carplay.

The driving position is a bit tall, higher than in the Fiesta and 208 (it has a higher distance to soil than those two - necessary in Brasil because of the shitty roads). Steering wheel only adjusts in depth and height in the 1.8 engine versions, height adjustment only in all other versions. Confortable seating, with electric adjustment in the versions with lateral airbag. The only downside they mention is the big door grabber that digs into the leg of the driver when doing corners.

Driving, they say the suspension is a bit to the firm side and the car is fun to drive with precise steering that gains weight consistently with speed and it has low body roll. The versions Drive 1.3 and 1.3 GSR have the suspension with a setting tuned for confort.
    They like the 1.3 engine because they say it is responsive at low revs (but keep in mind this has no turbo and the expectations are different than in the US). The manual shift could be shorter but it is precise.

Summing up, they consider the Argo a candidate to dominate the segment in Brasil. It has good pricing compared to the rivals, pretty, spacious enough, fun to drive and with fit and finish comparable with the Toro (which is to say that it's good for brasilian standards - it's comparable to the Compass from what I've read). It's offers cover the entire breadth of offers from the rivals and the equipment in the accessible versions is very complete.

This was not a direct translation by the way, and I skimmed through a few details about the engines and gear shifts.

Prabhjot likes this.
  12. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Active Member

I hear very heard-said murmurs in India, i.e., rumors that the ARGO may be soon getting greenlighted for India too, alongside its Jeep sub-Renegade b-suv close sibling (emerging markets only, maybe europe too?) And, presumably the FIAT x6u cuv version of the Argo, too. No 'x6s grand Sienna+Linea', though, apparently, unlike latam. 2019, they say? But likelier, if at all, imo: for 2020. All JEEP till then, and rhd exports thereof.

IF so, and i remain skeptical (both that they will pull the trigger now/soon on any further FIATs for India, rather than on Jeeps and via their jv: tata-brand suv-s, AND that it is as yet even remotely financially prudent of them to do so, given the soaring dominance of esp Suzuki but also Hyundai and soon Kia, cannot help but celebrate the er rumor-news! ;-)

Instead FCA must, repeat must, go all-in with a premium within mass strategy for FIAT here, i.e., localize including for exports in rhd format to developed markets (i.e., developed market spec and quality cars, just like the new locally made Compass) the european models NOT the latam ones. i.e., not the ARGO or the x6s but alongwith maybe the x6u FIAT cuv and the new Jeep small cuv: the 500X and/or 500L and/or the nextgen Panda+PandaCross or say a premiumized-blinged-touch-feel version of the Tipo maybe in a 'cross-over' form.

Deckard_Cain likes this.
  13. TripleT

Level III Supporter

Its not a flop, the dealer network is still very small and the B segment in the USA is even smaller. It not a flop it just a very small niche. Not sure what people expected.

I think this car has a legit chance as it closer in size to the Mini and CUV style would make it a excellent Chrysler. Size of the vehicle and dealer network will help it have reasonable sales volume.

14. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Fiat Argo is being launched in Argentina.

A video with some details about engine and multimedia.

Deckard_Cain likes this.
  15. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

"Fiat will announce the arrival the Punto successor in November 2017 and the sales in the European market will start in early 2018."

? Really? They've been keeping that very quiet, if so.

16. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

LOVE the name Primo!
    For some reason or other......it makes me think of pasta sauce!:p:D
    [​IMG]

#78 77 Monaco Brougham, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    page2171 and Morty like this.
  17. v.b.

v.b. Active Member

European makers don't advertise much South American or Indian imports. I literally stumbled across a Ford KA+ in a showroom to find out about it's existence.

V

KrisW likes this.
  18. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

I had heard about Ka, though, and Ka is a much smaller share of Ford's business than this car world be of FIAT's. Tipo is made in Turkey, which is equivalent to Latin America in the minds of people who care about that kind of thing, yet FIAT gave it a big push.

Also, Argo has much more character than the new Ka (or the previous Nissan Micra, which also suffered from the "designed down to a price" feel). Like Tipo, it's styled to look like a more expensive car than it actually is.

AlfaCuda likes this.