AF: Fiat Chrysler in talks to forge extensive ties with Renault | Page 81 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fiat Chrysler in talks to forge extensive ties with Renault

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by HEMI345, May 25, 2019.

1. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

The only possible result of acquiring JLR would be over-engineered Jeeps that breakdown all the time, and Land Rovers with hood stickers and misaligned panels.

jclick, wtxiceman, serpens and 3 others like this.
  2. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

In order for true mergers to work, each party has to bring something to the party that the other doesn't have or doesn't do well. Fiat was supposed to bring fuel efficient cars to the mix. That didn't turn out to be the case. The only thing JLR brings is Land Rover, and that alone is not enough.

3. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Fiat did bring EcoDiesel —for better or worse, and has pushed Ram to compete on fuel economy against its domestic rivals. Something Chrysler rarely ever did.

4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Jaguar and Land Rover. See my prior arguments.

77 Monaco Brougham likes this.
  5. Adventurer55

I don't see much value or difference between Jaguar and Alfa. Millions, or possibly billions over the years have been poured into Jaguar with little, in my opinion to show for it.

jclick and serpens like this.
  6. Adventurer55

Chrysler has done business with VM for years before Fiat. With that said, the unknown is whether this particular engine would have shown up.

aldo90731 likes this.
  7. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Alfa had done it years before Chrysler... Just sayin'.

ScramFan likes this.
  8. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

FCA would of done better with a small Cummins, the VM has given Diesels a bad name in Rams.

9. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

The cummins small diesel has not been very good either for nissan. If ram were to come out with that it wouldn't be a smart decision either.

Tony K, jclick, tlc and 1 other person like this.
  10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

It's not a pissing match as to who worked with VM first. The point was that Fiat did not introduce Ram to VM. They had already met.

Based on what I've heard, I will say that they would have gone with Cummins had Fiat not taken over. The Cummins V6 engine isn't really as good for the application as the VM, but I've never heard anyone criticize it for reliability. I don't think they could get the current 32 mpg (highway) out of it, but maybe, with really relaxed gearing? The engine was already packaged for production in the Ram, and switching to the VM actually set the project back a couple of years. None of us have all the facts, especially with regard to cost and reliability, so I'm not saying anyone was right or wrong.

jclick, jorisr and valiant67 like this.
  11. Adventurer55

Well based on what Nissan got out of the V8 version, fuel economy wasn't it's strong point. I know that's the engine that was supposed to go into the 1500. As I recall the V6 version was a 4.2 liter. Did it even make it to market in anything?

Tony K likes this.
  12. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

#1612 77 Monaco Brougham, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  13. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

The article on the first link says “...picking an executive known for close ties to top shareholder Renault (RENA.PA) and for a frank, straight-talking manner...”. The latter was sorely missing in communications between Nissan and Renault.

14. 77 Monaco Brougham

A great big A M E N to that!

aldo90731 likes this.
  15. Adventurer55

Wow the new Nissan guy really needs to be at FCA. He wants to make speedy decisions. Around FCA a speedy decision is usually at least four years away.

16. 77 Monaco Brougham

I hope FCA never opens a chain of coffee shops.

It would take them 30 days to prepare and serve an order of Latte with a side order of Biscotti!:p:D

[​IMG]

saltydog, Chebby7, valiant67 and 2 others like this.
  17. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Then the order would get delayed because they (FCA) switched it to black coffee with a donut...which ended up not being a donut, but more of a Danish (refreshed)...and it then got recalled...because of a supplier issue. :p

saltydog, Quambi, tlc and 3 others like this.
  18. Adventurer55

Does anyone remember how far back that illustrious dealer meeting was when they showed new product coming? One of which was a new Challenger convertible? Wasn't that like 2015 or so?

19. 77 Monaco Brougham

And through it all, the customer will still be treated as an afterthought (IF he's lucky)...If not, then he'll be abandoned entirely, as they search for easier customers to please...(who will also tip more).:D

Zagnut: Thanks for putting a smile and a giggle on my face this morning. Apparently, God has given you the wonderful gift of a warped mind! No wonder we play off each other so well.:p

Something tells me our senses of humor must have developed in a fairly similar manner. I was an only child, and with nobody around my age in the immediate neigborhood to play with, I ended up spending more time in front of the TV than the average kid...no doubt my young mind soaking up by osmosis bits and pieces of stuff from the likes of Alan Alda, Bea Aruthur, Redd Foxx, and Groucho Marx.

Now that I think of it, the person who would eventually have the biggest influence and impact on my personality growing up was probably the Film / TV Producer Norman Lear.;)

#1619 77 Monaco Brougham, Oct 9, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    tlc and Zagnut27 like this.
  20. valiant67

valiant67 ...

This one?
    Dodge Barracuda convertible, next-gen Charger among surprises for FCA dealers in Las Vegas (at https://www.autonews.com/article/20150826/OEM04/150829921/dodge-barracuda-convertible-next-gen-charger-among-surprises-for-fca-dealers-in-las-vegas )

"Up to 30 new or refreshed products coming within 2 years, they're told"