AF: Fiat Chrysler in talks to forge extensive ties with Renault | Page 84 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fiat Chrysler in talks to forge extensive ties with Renault

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by HEMI345, May 25, 2019.

1. Donte Lindsey

Donte Lindsey Active Member

I think the Lancia Chrysler pairing has since been unpaired.

Ernesto and jimboy like this.
  2. cygnus

cygnus Active Member

Donte Lindsey likes this.
  3. cygnus

cygnus Active Member

Listening to CNBC in the background while I work, they just said Peugeot and FCA are in talks again.

Damnit.

wtxiceman likes this.
  4. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

Yup, just read it. It's not a bad merger at all. They're the second biggest european group and Tavares knowns very well how to turn a profit in Europe.

77 Monaco Brougham likes this.
  5. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

6. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

"...MERGER OF EQUALS..." Oh dear lord, where have we heard this before?

This is exactly why all Chrysler and Dodge product is on hold. Both brands future existence is tied to a merger, which FCA is still strongly pursuing.

Doug D, wtxiceman and Adventurer55 like this.
  7. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

... Yes; since SM and Ferdinand Piech engaged in tête-à-tête back in 2012 ( I recall it being January of that year, but can't be certain ).

I think NOT pursuing a "relationship" is the fall-back position when the object of affection does not respond favorably to overtures of further discussion. Put differently : "We're chasing Merger tail; unless, of course, no one's interested ... otherwise we're in suspended animation conserving as much of our energy as humanly possible."

8. randy1911

randy1911 Active Member

What's to say step 1 is Peugeot and step 2 is Renault Nissan . Now FCA Peugeot and Renault Nissan would be epic and strong enough to go against VW. But the downside is 60 percent of the entire auto industry would be FCA/VW price fixing may be an issue but innovation would be exceptional.

9. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

Bravo! You have just summed up...and very elegantly...the entire situation we've been living through these past several years.

Bravo!

BASONE88 and JavelinAMX like this.
  10. 77 Monaco Brougham

Stéphane Dumas likes this.
  11. 77 Monaco Brougham

12. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

That's your opinion, and you're certainly entitled to it, but can you prove it?

Classic "Best Alternative to No Agreement," but I would submit it's a bit more nuanced than that, as in "We're chasing Merger tail; unless, of course, no one's willing to come to suitable terms.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Maybe this was FCA's way to get Renault et al back to the table.

13. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

This or it's a way for FCA to give the middle-finger to Renault. :rolleyes:

Tony K likes this.
  14. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

Deduction. 2016/17 was when Sergio publicly began courting literally anyone who would listen trying to broker a merger. That's also when FCA suddenly began streamlining their product portfolio. Anything low margin was dropped. Planned replacements for aging models quietly were shelved. 'Legacy' platform models have been extended to maximize profit without committing resources to new models outside of the high margin global product lines (Jeep and Ram).

Why else would you hold back on committing to new product on low margin brands that are also specific to North American markets unless you were courting a merger? The reason being you want FCA in a position of strength without having resources tied up for the next several years in product. ALSO you can't afford to have any product flops while trying to win over another automaker. PLUS if a merger is successful you gain access to their platform/parts/product lines and it might be way cheaper to simply ship their product to the existing FCA dealer network.

mlgreen, jclick, wvutuba and 7 others like this.
  15. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

True.

Suitable terms : Exor is at the wheel. There are no Equals. What Merger? Quit breathing and fogging up my mirror, Tavares!

Tony K likes this.
  16. 77 Monaco Brougham

I would like to believe that is the case, but it seems more complicated than that.

Yes...John Elkann is reportedly slated to be Chairman of the new entity, but I'm not sure how much real power Chairmen of companies actually have.

As I understand from the reports, the new board will comprise 6 PSA members, vs. only 5 board members from FCA.

On the other hand...once the dust settles...although the Agnelli family will not have controlling interest...it seems likely that they will end up with the single largest block of shares.

It seems to me what you are saying is that the Agnellis...for all intents and purposes...will hold the balance of power.

Tony K likes this.
  17. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

We spend more time discussing mergers and controlling interests than the latest vehicle launch.

cygnus, HEMI345, Chris mopar and 3 others like this.
  18. plymouth1

plymouth1 Well-Known Member

None of this is about making any of these companies better. It is ONLY about $$$$

19. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Maybe because there is more merger news than vehicle launches? o_O:rolleyes: