Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fiat Chrysler in Talks With Hyundai on Partnership

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by romalerig, Dec 2, 2017.

1. romalerig

romalerig Well-Known Member

Fiat Chrysler in Talks With Hyundai on Partnership (at https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-02/fiat-chrysler-in-talks-with-korea-s-hyundai-over-partnership )

Prabhjot and T_690 like this.
  2. eggwhite93

eggwhite93 Active Member

Here we go again.

3. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure this is more then a here we go again since it's actually talked about by someone from either company

James A likes this.
  4. T_690

T_690 Active Member

“There is the potential of a technical partnership with Hyundai, which already supplies some components and transmissions for the U.S.,” Marchionne told reporters after a presentation on Alfa’s planned Formula One return. “Let’s see if we find a deal to develop transmission and hydrogen.”

AlfaCuda and Deckard_Cain like this.
  5. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Partnership does not equal merger. Let's not blow this out of proportion, eh guys? Lol

6. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Woah, if there's one thing the people of allpar and another place is good at it's taking a partnership and turning into a merger takeover

7. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

This would effect the rest of the world not so much of us in NAFTA. I told Sergio is looking for someone to help build future platforms with to help cut cost development cost.

MPE426HEMI, Prabhjot and xjgary like this.
  8. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

9. CivoLee

CivoLee Active Member

So you mean that this will effect the Fiat side of things more than the Chrysler side of things? Because a Dodge Stinger would be really cool...

10. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Hydrogen? I really think that’s a waste of time at this point but I could be wrong...

somber likes this.
  11. EVOL

EVOL Active Member

Interesting about hydrogen, as any regular piston engine can be converted to run on it quite easily, and if you wanted, you could make hydrogen in your backyard for free with solar panels.

The problem though, is that you apparently lose big power when running on it. Last I heard in an interview was a gas engine making 220hp would drop to 150hp on hydrogen because you have to retard the timing so much as it burns to fast.

That was an old interview though... Anyone know anything about that stuff?

12. dakota21

Supporter

I'd like to know if he's talking about hydrogen fuel cells or hydrogen combustion. If I had to guess it's probably fuel cells, but I would think hydrogen combustion development would be much cheaper.

xjgary likes this.
  13. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Active Member

They certainly could do worse.

77 Monaco Brougham likes this.
  14. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

The ZF 9-speed has not delivered as big of a fuel economy increase as the ZF 8-speed. I wonder if they are looking to replace it already?

In the other thread, I speculated that this could lead to joint engine development, like the Inline 6.

jerseyjoe and guyverfanatic like this.
  15. T_690

T_690 Active Member

ZF9 never met expetation. But where they can go? Wet DCT for low torque engines and obviously automatic for high torque.
    Is Hyundai willing to cooperate? I believe so.

For GME. If it's a GME and if it's Inline than most likely they developed it as a modular engine from the beginning. I don't see what makes a difference compared to 4 cylinder member of a family.
    If someone will cooperate with FCA it will be for all GME members.

I can see cooperation between FCA and Hyundai for V8 or for diesel engines.

BTW. Search GME with WL or WS.

16. DBY2014

DBY2014 Active Member

The Hyundai power tech 6 speed auto was the best part of my Dart. It was between an Elantra and Civic when I got rid of my Dart. The Elantra is a good car. Only issue with it was the chassis tuning and steering. Hyundai could benefit from FCA in that department and FCA could benefit from transmissions and quality of Hyundai. I see it potentially working out.

xjgary likes this.
  17. EVOL

EVOL Active Member

18. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

Nobody's going to do hydrogen ICE for mass market. Hydrogen fuel cell to directly create electricity for electric vehicles is what this is about...

xjgary likes this.
  19. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

Yep, correct.

xjgary likes this.
  20. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

It occurs to me that Samsung could possibly also be mixed up in this somehow. To me, that would be nothing but GOOD!

it's about time we finally hear some word about how FCA is attempting to cope with a (mostly) post-ICE future. This seems to kinda fit with the way Marchionne has talked about all the companies out there duplicating each other's R & D. Compared to conventional hybrid / plug-in / battery-electric drive.....Hydrogen looks like the proverbial "road less travelled".

And besides.....as someone on this board said a while ago....Moore's Law doesn't seem to apply when it comes to development in battery technology. So......a technology that would probably rely less on batteries for propulsion is also a side benefit.

Prabhjot likes this.