AF: Fiat Chrysler trying to stop the sale of Jeep clone | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fiat Chrysler trying to stop the sale of Jeep clone

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Hemidakota, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

How did the lawsuit against Hummer go?

xjgary and Judas Shuttlesworth like this.
  2. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

Doesn't matter: win, lose or draw, they will have sought to protect their IP and in the eyes of the law, that allows them to continue to do so in the future. The past is littered with businesses losing their rights due to not defending against some small company that "borrowed" from them. I'm not defending the law (I think it was cooked up by trial lawyers ;-)). Just stating how it works in the US legal system.

Ryan and GasAxe like this.
  3. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

jerseyjoe likes this.
  4. Judas Shuttlesworth

Judas Shuttlesworth Active Member

Mahindra borrowed nothing. They have the license to build them and have built them since the 40's. They have an agreement from 2009 which stipulates that any vehicles sold here will not have a seven slot grille.

They're selling a side-by-side off-road vehicle that doesn't compete in anyway with anything Jeep sells here or in any part of the globe. The only possible competition with anything resembling a Jeep is either on a used car lot or on Craigslist.

In short, FCA is pissing in the wind on this one and they know it.

Maybe they should put the money toward something constructive...like a Chrysler CUV.

xjgary and Adventurer55 like this.
  5. Judas Shuttlesworth

Unfortunately, in this case, they've chosen to take action against a licensee who is operating under the terms of the license granted to them. It does nothing more than make FCA look stupid....and jealous that they didn't think of it first.

6. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

You've missed the point. Mahindra has no license to build this new ATV anywhere. Claiming that it's covered in the license to build an older Jeep design in India is just wrong. The point is that you must defend your IP whenever you see it even potentially infringed or you can lose the right to do so in the future. Whether or not there is merit in the defense is largely immaterial. Power Wheels pays Jeep a royalty to produce their "Jeep" child ride on toys. Should Mahindra be any different?

Anyway, none of this has anything to do with a Chrysler CUV unless you think lawyers can help get a vehicle to market - lmao.

7. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Why wait till now? It really makes them look silly. Of course today silly seems to be the new norm.

8. Judas Shuttlesworth

Says who? They've been licensed to build this vehicle and develop derivatives of it for 70 years and suddenly they can't? Jeep hasn't produced a similar CJ in 28 years and doesn't sell a product that competes in this segment anywhere on the planet.

I think that building a non-trail rated Jeep "is just wrong", but FCA is well within their rights to do so. By the same token, you may think selling a decades old Jeep derivative in the US as a non-street legal UTV/farm vehicle as something that "is just wrong", but it doesn't mean they're not within their rights to do so.

You're assuming the licensing to Mahindra was free. Why?

jerseyjoe and xjgary like this.
  9. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

The Indians were not licensed to build an ATV that looks like a Jeep, we should at least get a royalty payment on every one of these sold. Will China be next to clone a Jeep?

TripleT likes this.
  10. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

[​IMG]
    There is already a Wrangler clone in China

#30 TripleT, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    ScramFan, Hemidakota, xjgary and 3 others like this.
  11. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

Yup, I saw several on my trips to China

12. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Yup, there was a video posted to one of the threads before about this vehicle.

13. Ryan

Ryan Moderator
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

BAIC also made the BJ80, a blatant ripoff of the G-class. Including the 6x6...

beijing-auto-bj80-20.jpg 2018-baic-bj80-6x6--image-via-autohome_100650351_l.jpg

ScramFan and xjgary like this.
  14. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

There was another one too...I can't recall which Jeep it mimicked (Grand Cherokee?)...but everyone thought it was a leaked pic of a new Jeep. Just ended up being a Chinese knockoff.

15. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

I know I took pictures of the suspension and give to Dave its like the just mounted Ibeams and attached the suspension to it to get the ride height.... it looks like a snow plow underneath.

ScramFan and Zagnut27 like this.
  16. wilbur

wilbur Well-Known Member

I would buy one in a heartbeat if I could put city plates on it and take out the restricter.

Bet the little diesel would be great on fuel too.

Wil

17. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Found it! Actually it looks more like a Land Rover...

60C60C1B-01D3-46D5-924D-1655966BD963.jpeg 23CE0CC1-9BB9-41B6-8359-37CC2A7EA93B.jpeg

Hemidakota and Ryan like this.
  18. Ryan

Ryan Moderator
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

ScramFan and Zagnut27 like this.
  19. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Geez, they don’t really hide the fact that it’s a blatant ripoff, do they? :p

jerseyjoe and Ryan like this.
  20. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

The world has fed them well.

Zagnut27 likes this.