AF: Fiat Chrysler trying to stop the sale of Jeep clone | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fiat Chrysler trying to stop the sale of Jeep clone

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Hemidakota, Aug 7, 2018.

1. MSwenning

MSwenning Active Member

You know I've thought for years Jeep should make a mini Wrangler as a side by side just like this, someone beat them to it.

Judas Shuttlesworth likes this.
  2. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

I am not making any assumptions - the Jeep license to Mahindra ONLY allowed the manufacture of the specific Jeep model for sale in India only. i don't know how I can be more simple in my statements to avoid you reading more into them and essentially having an argument about something I didn't even say...

ScramFan, Sigurdur, red-jk and 2 others like this.
  3. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

very few are actual ripoffs other than styling. Now Chery and BYD have dead copied a few cars, but mostly those companies slap something that looks close on a existing platform and usually come off awkward

ScramFan likes this.
  4. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Yes, but the styling is perhaps the most important considering that’s what you’ll notice first when you look at a vehicle. It’s underneath where they differ...but I suppose that’s true of any real product vs a cheap knock off...although with some brands all you’re paying for is a name and what’s underneath is basically garbage too. Perhaps it’s a case of darned if you do &/or don't.

5. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

The Mahindra may well be closer to a CJ (than the Wrangler) in its basic setup, size, weight, etc. The CJ was pretty light and the suspension was totally redesigned to make it safer. I wonder how Mahindra plans to avoid flipovers in the US?

I agree that while the Wrangler has always sold better when it was enlarged, that after the decades of biggering, we ended up with a golden opportunity to launch a new Jeep CJ (Classic Jeep), perhaps the CJ21 (21st century) to differentiate it. This would be a four-cylinder, smaller, with light if any towing, and the cheapest possible design, aimed mainly at emerging markets but also with niche US status in mind. Chrysler and FCA didn't have the money to do it, really, but I think it would be a clever way to lock down the market and augment their status.

6. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I’ve always been surprised that they didn’t make such a vehicle, or at the very least, incorporated features of Wrangler into one of the smaller Jeeps like Renegade...the removable top, removable doors, etc. I guess Renegade has the removable roof panels, but it’s not quite as far as what I was thinking. Maybe something like the Sky Slider roof from Liberty?

7. wilbur

wilbur Well-Known Member

Restricting it too 40 miles or so top speed in North America should greatly reduce rollovers.
    I really like it. It would be a great 3 season vehicle around town. -30 c, not so much.

Wil

8. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

.. don't forget this thing really doesn't compete against modern Jeeps, as most of them are on-road vehicles too.. the Mahindra-built machine is basically a jeep-looking quad/4wheeler whatever you wanna call 'em.. lol - not street legal, etc. Y'know, federal safety standards being what they are.

I think what Jeep is worried about is the use of these instead of buying/building reproduction (probably under license) CJ tubs for restoring/building, depending on prices.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

not to mention the uproar by those who are paying the licensing currently for the tubs. if Mahindra is allowed to make these, it'll be stepping on a lot of toes, and not just Jeep.

9. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

Your CJ21 idea would be a great "entry-level" Jeep for those buying their first new vehicle and a way to enter the Jeep brand for life.

If only FCA saw customers as progressing with a brand rather than having to jump from brand to brand as their lives change.

10. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I’m not so sure that would be an issue unless they’re exact copies of a CJ tub. My brother restores old Jeeps, and I know that he prefers original parts, and if not that then exact reproduction parts. Something that just looks similar would be a nonstarter. Obviously that doesn’t speak for everyone, but the people he interacts with online and in person are all pretty particular...and peculiar if you ask me. :D

11. Judas Shuttlesworth

Judas Shuttlesworth Active Member

Let's avoid the whole 'how much you have to dumb this down for me' angle.

According to Thar | All-Terrain 4x4 | Mahindra South Africa (at https://mahindra.co.za/site/products/thar/ ) they're selling the THAR, complete with the seven slot grille in South Africa. So is this another violation of the license, or is Mahindra within their rights? If you know something specific in regards to the license, please share it.

I've searched for specifics on the license and I can't find them, so I'm making no assumptions.

I can only go off of what Mahindra is selling and where they're selling it. Up to this point, I've seen nothing that goes beyond the stated restrictions of their license which restricts the sales of vehicles with a seven slot grille in the US.

Lastly, you stated that Mahindra pays nothing for the license. Is this actually the case? If you know something specific in regards to the license, please share it.

12. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

If you live with the fact you are driving a ripoff you deserve what you get. But Mahindra has a license and should pay to keep it. Probably cost FCA billions in court.

13. Judas Shuttlesworth

Mahindra can only pull this off by keeping it as a UTV and letting it be subject to local regulations concerning the use of UTVs. As far as selling this as a road-going vehicle in the US? Mahindra doesn't have a prayer.

If FCA can't handle low-volume, high-margin niche markets like the Viper, or high-volume, low-margin markets like sedans, there's no way on Earth they'll bother with a low-margin, low-volume 30-year-old Jeep.

FCA wouldn't have touched this UTV market with a ten-foot-pole.

suzq044 likes this.
  14. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

The grille on the Roxor is totally Mahindra in styling.

Judas Shuttlesworth likes this.
  15. Judas Shuttlesworth

I'd love to see the licensing agreement from 2009 before speculating that they're not paying a dime.

jerseyjoe likes this.
  16. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

This has been the problem with China and not being more innovated with technology. Japanese after WWII were no different.

jwp44 and Zagnut27 like this.
  17. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I imagine it’s a problem in many countries when they’re trying to play “catch up” technologically. It’s also the basis for the espionage programs of many countries as well.

Hemidakota likes this.
  18. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

It is my understanding that Mahindra currently pays no licensing fees to FCA. The origins of this license meant that Willy's was making money selling the knockdown kits to Mahindra in India rather than imposing a royalty. By the nature of this deal only sale in India was explicitly allowed.

ScramFan likes this.
  19. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Anyone have the contract? ;)

20. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

The new jeeps have gotten to large for mountain trails out west. Only US option is to buy an old CJ and do what Jeepers do best. Chrysler has smaller vehicles that might fit on the trails but wont survive well on the friction losses on the trail. A CJ can be fixed with a hammar and a tourch.

xjgary likes this.