AF: Fiat Chrysler trying to stop the sale of Jeep clone | Page 4 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fiat Chrysler trying to stop the sale of Jeep clone

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Hemidakota, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

I went to look at the Mahindra clone, it's being sold as an ATV but that's not what it is. It is sold as a road vehicle in India and is closer to a real Jeep than an ATV. You could slap a plate on it, change out the grill and pass for a restored Jeep and fool 90% of the folks on the road. At the 15k price they will sell every one they can get over here.

2. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

It only has a top speed of 45 mph. It is not legal to drive it on the roads in many states.

It is a clever UTV idea. I give Mahindra credit for it.

Judas Shuttlesworth likes this.
  3. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

THe Jeep has a 62 HP Diesel engine with a 5 speed and 15 inch tires. Leaf springs all around, full frame and solid axles. It is sold as a street vehicle in India, and has been around for many years. It's not an ATV, it's a Jeep.

freshforged likes this.
  4. Erik Latranyi

Not in the US, which is the subject of this thread.

xjgary likes this.
  5. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

Have you even gone to look at the Jeep clone? It would be a very poor ATV. It will sell well based on it's looks and low price. Most likely a case of dumping, much like the Asians used to get a foothold in our market.

6. Erik Latranyi

Dumping?

It is being assembled in Detroit!

7. tomit

tomit Well-Known Member

I hope CR tests it!:p Since it is off-road only, I won't hold my breath

Tom

8. Volunteer

Volunteer Well-Known Member

All (FCA) should concern themselves with is - - building a better Jeep-type vehicle than everyone else. It has to be safe, attractive, reliable, economical and fun to drive. They can begin anytime.
    :confused: (ooops! - I just woke up from a bad dream!)

BASONE88 likes this.
  9. Erik Latranyi

Look, I can go buy a very lightly used TJ Unlimited for under $20k. I would buy that instead of the Roxor.

link3721, GasAxe and ZackAttack like this.
  10. ZackAttack

ZackAttack Active Member

That's what I did. 04 Lj for 11k and change. 64k miles

11. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

So the deal Mahindra had originated with the now defunct Chrysler, LLC. Now it sounds like FCA has a case. The timing of the lawsuit leads me to believe that someone at FCA finally realized the licensing agreement was not renewed after the bankruptcy. Mahindra bringing up how Fiat made their own CJ version in the 50's is childish. Once a licensing agreement or contract expires, it's dead. You can't just crank out your own versions without new negotiations. Now the question is whether or not FCA wants a complete stop sale or a fat pay off along with new licensing agreement. The only thing worthwhile about the Roxor is how it looks like a CJ. If they have to significantly change the body so it doesn't resemble a Jeep, interest will likely plummet.

Here's what I as Jeep would do. If the licence to build a "Jeep" in NA is likely null and void, I would grant a back dated short term license to Mahindra and use the opportunity to see if the Roxor is a profitable venture. If it is, force a buyout or partnership and continue to sell the Roxor but now as a fully licenced Jeep product stripped of the Roxor name and direct Mahindra ties. Call the "new" manufacturer Roxor Inc or something and let Mahindra have a minority share as a carrot. Now Jeep has a their own product in the NA UTV/SxS market that can be sold at their own dealers if they wish. Easy peasy.:)

wilbur, link3721 and Ryan like this.
  12. Erik Latranyi

Sorry, but Manley signed the agreement allowing Mahindra use of the 4.5 slot grille.

It looks like this is going to court as Mahindra is counter-suing

13. red-jk

red-jk Well-Known Member

I guess Manley's honeymoon is over.

14. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Just because it was a Chrysler deal doesn’t mean a FCA isn’t still bound by the original deal. Could be, could not be.

15. Judas Shuttlesworth

Judas Shuttlesworth Active Member

FCA has had no qualms in maintaining the former Chrysler's right to use Daimler's pre-2009 technology throughout its entire portfolio. And now they're going to whine over the LICENSED use of a 50 year old Willy's design? A 50 year evolution which had nothing to do with Willy's, Kaiser, AMC, Chrysler, or FCA?

valiant67 likes this.
  16. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

The Roxor is easily identifiable as a Jeep, that's the issue. The legal wrangling will be over if and how the rights to sell it in NA have been licensed.

17. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

If someone started selling cars mimicking old Porches but with a different grill, you bet your boots Porche would sue their butts!

AlfaCuda, freshforged and Ryan like this.
  18. Judas Shuttlesworth

But if Porsche gave them the express permission to do it, then what? Sue them anyway?

Erik Latranyi and valiant67 like this.
  19. Judas Shuttlesworth

Mahindra has done nothing to violate their 2009 agreement.

Now if FCA wants to weasel out of that 2009 agreement signed by Manley, them let them attempt to do so. But let's be clear about what's happening.

Please quit pretending that FCA is "protecting itself" from some predatory Indian purveyor of knockoffs.

Erik Latranyi likes this.