AF: Fiat Chrysler trying to stop the sale of Jeep clone | Page 6 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fiat Chrysler trying to stop the sale of Jeep clone

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Hemidakota, Aug 7, 2018.

1. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

The skeptical, cynical part of me thinks this suit....although it names Mahindra.....isn't really about Mahindra, but instead is a kind of "shot across the bow" aimed at China, a nation whose manufacturers wouldn't think twice about stealing intellectual property from elsewhere.

Your Honor.
    With your permisson, I should like to place before the Court my first piece of evidence, which will be known as Exhibit "A":

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJxoZtJNhYw

#101 77 Monaco Brougham, Sep 1, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  2. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I think those who have seen this vehicle in person know that it is similar to Wrangler in appearance only. And that is where the similarity ends. Underneath, it is no match for a Wrangler.

3. Judas Shuttlesworth

Judas Shuttlesworth Active Member

Wise decision. I think I've made it abundantly clear that I'm the biggest weenie here. :D

Zagnut27, GasAxe and wtxiceman like this.
  4. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

As basic in another thread, this is NOT FCA tryout by tobstop the sale of the Roxor.

This is FCA protecting its intellectual property rights.

Jeep Wrangler Design is a protected thing. You CAN’T copy under penalty of law.

If one does copy it, then FCA HAS to defend its rights, in the courts.

If FCA chooses NOT to defend its IP in court, then those rights are considered to be abandoned. At that point anyone could LEGALLY register the Wrangler IP, and they would own ALL that is Jeep Wrangler. LEGALLY.

This is nothing more that that. FCA does not want to stop Roxor production. It is defending its rights. If it comes out in FCA’s favor, the Roxor production will continue,and Mahindra will pay a royalty to FCA, and FCA maintains its rights. FCA could require a certain amount of differentiation between its design rights, and the Roxor. (Having something running around that LOOKS like Jeep, and isn’t the best at what it does besmirches Jeep.)

If it comes out in Mahindra’s favor (very likely), Roxor production will continue, and Mahindra will NOT pay a royalty to FCA, and FCA maintains its rights. Mahindra would change nothing.

MJAB, BASONE88, DAGAR and 1 other person like this.
  5. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

The clone has a full frame, 4 corner leaf springs, 2 solid axles with 15 inch tires at each corner, it is pretty much a cj clone. So it is not a Wrangler but it is a Jeep.

valiant67 and GasAxe like this.
  6. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Have you seen it in action? It may be more akin to a Cherokee or Compass, as it has very little wheel travel. So yes, it could be a Jeep in the softer-roader mold, but definitely no Wrangler. And I believe that is what I said. ;)

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hQAeWdUnV0w

7. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

8. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Yes, that does make more sense considering his comments about the suspension components. But he was responding to my comments regarding the BJ40...which only LOOKS like a Wrangler.

9. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Probably Mahindra new about they would have to change the design, so the 2020 model was already different.

[​IMG]

The real dispute will arrive with the new Mahindra Thar (original name of Roxon).

10. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

They knew it was coming since this has been ongoing for at least a year at this point

11. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

12. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

FCA should just buy that company and make it a Sub Division of Jeep for ATV vehicles.

suzq044 and 77 Monaco Brougham like this.
  13. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Do you believe that Roxor is up to American standards?

14. Scottina06

Scottina06 Active Member

FCA has gotten sue happy and even threatening legal action against their best customers. Ask me how I know.....

wtxiceman likes this.
  15. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

I won't ask how you know.

I'll just assume it's one heck of a juicy story (if you ever decide to tell all).;)

16. 1999 White C5 Coupe

1999 White C5 Coupe Well-Known Member

Okay, I’ll bite.

How do you know?

17. Scottina06

Scottina06 Active Member

I dont mind. I've been one of their biggest supporters on social media/online for a long time. I founded jeepgarage.org. Weve hosted SRT engineers chats and reps from jeep and fca for over 10 years. Then I decided to sell a few parts on the side that eventually grew into needing a small website to handle orders. I was stupid and nieve and used my social media handle "the jeep guy" I had used that on forums, social.media etc for 6 or 8 years. Anyway...I used www.thejeepguygarage.com as my web address. I.admit..it was short term and I had no.problem changing that when I got the cease a desist from fca attorney's. It was a short term plan anyway. I planned to sell other than car parts eventually anyway. BUT...they went too far and forced me to change all my social.media usernames. @thejeep_guy on instagram Facebook etc. I've had those since 2012. There are literally thousands and thousands of social media accounts with fca brands etc in their usernames. There are probably thousands of other websites with jeep or an fca product in their business name....ie the jeep guy llc a garage i found on the internet. Just search and you'll see. Why was I singled out? I've only purchased 4 new jeep srts, 1 trackhawk, new charger, new 10a rubicon, GC laredo, alfa romeo giulia, fiat 500 etc. I allowed them to use my forums, my social media, my Facebook pages.etc and thats the thanks I get. Pettiness imho. They are sue happy. So if u have any sort of fca products in your business names or social media usernames...go ahead and change them.

wtxiceman likes this.
  18. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

I always say that competition is a good thing. I challenge FCA to make a competitive vehicle.

Never heard anyone say anything about HD Desoto trucks in Vietnam. I'm sure it was a branch of Chrysler. I wouls smile when I saw one.

#119 jerseyjoe, Jun 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  19. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It