AF: Fiat to exit European mini car market | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fiat to exit European mini car market

Discussion in 'Rumors and General Chrysler Discussion' started by Fast Eddie, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

As I've said, over 300,000 sales of both Camry and Corolla. RAV4 did 400,000, and the Camry and Corolla are, I suspect, being sold near cost (Corolla possibly at or below cost, Camry with, I'd guess, a small profit). Look at their freebies and tell me there's big profits there.

2. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

Serious question, when you sell at or below cost, isn't that considered dumping, just like steel years ago?

3. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. Only if the price undercuts the competition AND the product is more expensive in its home market.

danbek likes this.
  4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I think part of it is also whether the strategy is clearly one of trying to dominate a market and drive competitors out, or whether to just survive as a temporary measure, which is why dumping Toyotas in 1980s would have been bad but dumping Chevys and Plymouths was not seen as a problem.

page2171, danbek and valiant67 like this.
  5. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

A strategy of automakers in the 1980s to meet CAFE targets was to pump out cheap econoboxes and sell them with rock bottom pricing.

danbek likes this.