AF: FIAT VS. N. America Quailty | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FIAT VS. N. America Quailty

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by voiceofstl, Apr 25, 2019.

1. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

The 500L is always condemed for bad quality/reliabilty
    The new compass has good quality. They are the same platform so whats the differnce?
    In europe do they use sub standard wireing and parts? Are the factories and workers bad there?
    It seems most of the problems with the 500L are electrical. What make the compass so much better?

#1 voiceofstl, Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The 500L has two big quality issues. A peaky 1.4 turbo engine and poor transmission choices. The manual transmission had a poor clutch, such that you could not back the car up a steep driveway. Instead of a conventional automatic, it used a DDCT, which helped the 1.4rev and make power and returned almost as good fuel economy as the manual transmission. However the DDCT would overheat with no warning or would have false alarms without overheating. The pulled the DDCT and added a conventional automatic which cut performance and economy.

The Compass has better engine and transmission choices. The 500L never had a chance in the US with those power trains.

3. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go so far as saying the Compass has good quality. Mine has been very disappointing, but it seems that many of the issues like interior rattles and drivetrain programming problems are common to many. Now I have a rattle starting in the suspension somewhere at only 26K kms, which is very disappointing. I don't the issue is the region of manufacture. It appears to be more related to design and parts quality.

4. Citation84

Citation84 Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to see how well the Fiat 500 L holds up in Euro quality/ reliability stats.

Can't remember the name of the organization that tracks those stats in the UK.