Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fifth Avenue 1984 worth a restoration ?

Discussion in 'F-J-M: Volare, Diplomat, etc, 1977-89' started by Alain95i4, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

I think the Holley 2-bbl was available starting in the late 1970s, at least on trucks, but I don't know how commonly they were applied, nor whether they were installed more on certain vehicles and less on others.

2. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

These cars all had the BBD on the 318 until the change to Holley in 1985. Only exception was California emissions which had a Thermoquad some years. Canada might have kept the BBD longer.

3. GaryS

GaryS Well-Known Member

Several years ago I bought an '85 from my uncles estate, and it was a great car. It was smooth, quiet, comfortable and always got over 20mpg in mixed driving with the 318 engine. I never had a single mechanical problem and it showed about 70K miles. The only thing I had to fix was a sagging headliner. Had to sell it when I retired, but should have found a way to keep it for my daily driver.

4. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

There are four potential weak points in the power train.
    1) Plastic coated timing chain gears. Often start to show slack around 109k miles. Not hard to swap but takes some time.
    2) Electonic Spark Control, aka Lean Burn. May be simpler on a Canadian car.
    3) Lock up torque converter. Some had issues but many did not.
    4) Rear axle if it has the 7.25" unit, many did. The 8.25" is much better.

5. ClayBelt40's

ClayBelt40's Member

Revising my previous sentiments: you should take a look and see if you can enter 24 Hours of LeMons with that car, I think it would do well there if it matches their budgetary requirements.