NewsNew Pacifica trim to hit sweet spot? • Does the Demon stop faster than the Camaro ZL1? • More Waymo Pacificas; public to test

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firewall to fuel rail gas line.

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by mr2tim, Apr 6, 2017.

?

Is car repair fun??

1. Yes, gets me away from the wife.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Maybe, if she doesn't want to help.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, if I watch her do it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, I'm old and forgot why.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mr2tim

mr2tim Member

PT CONNECTOR.jpg Just finishing up a 01 timing belt "practice" swap and noticed the "L" shaped plastic connector on the fuel rail snapped off leaving the plastic connector elbow inside the (vinyl?) fuel line.
    Ebay appears to only have ONLY the 2005-10 straight line (lineal) design? The connector looks the same? but is it really?? Anyone swapped this previously? (Responses requested. Thanks)
    I'm all for buying a whole new line as I'm shaky about clamping the 58psi gas lines like I did in the 05 fuel pump module swap. Those lines were 7mm and not subject to the !EXPLOSIVE! environment of the engine bay.
    I've also saw that what looks like a Taco Bell on the fuel connector at the firewall. This turns out to be a "accumulator", a sort of crude particle drop off point in lieu of real fuel filter. This lazy "fuel filter" has a bad reputation especially in the Neons w our 2.4L setup. If you smell gas in your engine bay this "bad hombre" probably looks wet to the eye. Replacement at 200K may be wise too.
    ---------------------------------------
    Can't wait to tell you of my timing belt experience. If I ever finish?, it'll most likely be in book form. :)

2. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Member

Doorman makes the part. This is what you want from NAPA.
    I have rebuilt the fuel rail on a 3.3 liter V6. Use EFI rated fuel hose and the high pressure hose clamps then you will be ok.

The only explosive environment is inside the cylinders. If you smell gas outside or under the hood it will not explode because there is too much oxygen and not enough gasoline vapors. And if inside the fuel tank you have a spark such as on the wiper for the sending unit for the fuel gauge. It will not explode because there is too much gasoline vapors and not enough oxygen.
    The correct conditions for an explosion is inside the combustion cylinder when the spark plug sets it off.

And that must of been fun a timing belt on a Cruiser. No room to work.:eek:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    Bob Lincoln likes this.
  3. mr2tim

mr2tim Member

Prefer to buy fuel line complete w connectors at both ends, no listings for 2001-2004???

4. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather Level III Supporter

See if you can ID the factory part number form this page from the 2001 parts catalog. Then search the part number.

Attached Files:

5. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

2.4L NA?
    I see a Mopar # 5278844AA for '01 to '03.
    Mopar # 5085032AA fits '04-'05.

6. mr2tim

mr2tim Member

Thanks for your replies.
    It's been pretty interesting tossing around all these parts numbers with different suppliers.
    My prod date on the 01 is 11-00. According to Valiant's schematic my parts should be 05278944AA. Ditto from IC. However most of time I get 5085555AC from the parts sites, and it too looks like the straight connector.
    I have to believe that Chrysler uses the same design, size and connector on all of our NA fuel rails. With this assumption I feel its probably ok to replace my "L" shaped connector with the straight type and will probably go with this choice.
    However, as a prudent (race) hobby mechanic if this car didn't haul my wife I would use kaynine's suggestion and go with metal connectors and use a old school fuel filter. I just don't have much faith in only the fuel pump's filter sock and the particle drop out in the sump where the fuel pump resides, buy hey, I've got 200K miles right?

7. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather Level III Supporter

It is possible, though I don't have the resources to check, that 5085555AC replaced 05278944AA.

8. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter