Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Jeep® Compass Rolls Off Assembly Line in Ranjangaon, India!

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by redriderbob, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Active Member

In India: i doubt it very much.

THE fear is that the better the Jeep brand+dealers+Compass+renegade launches go in India......the lower the chances of the rest of the company here (i.e., the FIAT brand) benefitting. In fact: that could be the very thing that ensures that FIAT gets quietly buried here. They'll have high plant capacity-utilization, large exports volumes too....i.e., why bother with too-mass-market FIAT? btw, GM just exited India for good, after accumulating 1 billion$ of losses, and the rumour mill has it imo for good reason that FORD may be planning on a major scaling-down of operations in-and-for India (rather than exports) too, since they too have huge accumulating losses and they don't have a brand like JEEP to 'ride to the rescue', as it were.

They seem to quietly burying FIAT in China too, rleying instead totally on successful Jeep(+Maserati+nowAlfaRomeo.)

guyverfanatic and Deckard_Cain like this.
  2. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Active Member

3. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

I think they gave up on expanding Fiat's presence to Asia. Which is a shame since I think that Fiat still has a reputation in some right-hand drive markets in Asia. Namely in Japan and India.
    If they brought the Fiat Argo, Fiat Uno, Fiat Mobi to India I think Fiat would be a success there. Then manufacture the Argo and 500 and sell them in Japan as well and you could increase Fiat's footprint in those markets.

Anyway, Fiat is strong in Europe an Latin America. Maybe if they focus on expanding sales on Brasil, Argentina and Mexico they can grow Fiat in those markets.

It's nice to see the Compass become a success in India. :)
    This is a market that will probably increase exponentially in the next few years so they got in at the right time.

AlfaCuda and Prabhjot like this.
  4. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Active Member

Very credible rumours have the orders for the new Compass at this barely launched stage (including many new dealerships, now under the MOPAR brand's processes) in India: at 10000. There is a 'waiting period' for orders, extending upto as much as 5 months already, apparently. Reports i've encountered suggest the new Jeep-ified and Mopar-ized dealerships are crowded with eager customers, and long queues even for test drives: in different parts of this very diverse country/automotive-market. That is certainly true of my city's Jeep-cum-FIAT dealers.

By Indian standards: FCA seem to've gotten themselves an outright hit, and....the real 'mass affordable' market Jeeps are still to come (Renegade+the 'Jeep '515' emerging markets b-suv.)

Kudos to Jeep and fca india; they've done a stupendous job with brand-education and marketing, build-quality and manufacturing tech at the Indian jv-with-tata plant, and the new dealerships+(it is to be hoped) the new MOPAR-branded service and spares operations.

wilbur, AlfaCuda, ScramFan and 3 others like this.
  5. AlfaCuda

AlfaCuda Active Member

I saw a TV advert last evening.

Prabhjot likes this.
  6. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Active Member

Exported-to, available In Sri lanka by q4, i guess? Or q1 2018.

@AlfaCuda

7. AlfaCuda

AlfaCuda Active Member

I wouldn't be surprised if it's even later. We got the Renegade only a month ago.

Prabhjot likes this.
  8. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Active Member

Fiat Chrysler gets over 8,100 bookings for Jeep Compass - ET Auto (at http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/passenger-vehicle/uv/fiat-chrysler-gets-over-8100-bookings-for-jeep-compass/60216713 )

The investments in the updation of the Ranjangaon jv-with-Tata-plant for the Jeeps will payoff, already: shortly. With Tata also manufacturing a pretty high volume model, just launched, and with 1/2 more Jeeps in 2018/2019 and 2 more Tata suv-s as well, the jv operations will prove very remunerative, within a year from today.

The greater task for fca in india is to get the new dealers' and service operations' launches right-enough. In India, as in most ex-China emerging markets, the trust in dealerships and service operations is THE paramount consideration. They cannot botch that up. So far, so good (under the MOPAR brand and processes), it seems albeit still improve-able.

UN4GTBL, AlfaCuda and Morty like this.
  9. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Prabhjot likes this.
  10. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

Looks like oilfield roads in Texas. Guess our highways are pretty good.

11. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

That is what my bf & I call on-roading. lol
    Washboard gravel roads daily & an off-road course for a driveway... rural living at its finest. :p lol (also part of the reason we went with a Jeep instead of another Dart when mine was totaled)

12. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

Looks like its been a victim of cluster bombs.

wtxiceman likes this.
  13. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

14. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Active Member

The Compass is a huge hit by any standards in India, and petrol/gasoline 1.4 turbo multiair+ddct test drive or media drive vehicles have not even been launched yet! Just the 2 liter multijet2 diesel+manual transmission. The 9-speed+diesel combination will only launch early next year, whereupon fca will assuredly a further kickup in orders for the Compass. I believe zf is localizing the 9-speed in India, firstly for fca, then for other firms/brands here. Exports to Australia, Japan, UK etc (right hand drive 'developed country' markets, mostly) are getting underway right about now, AFAIK.

The allnew or renewed dealerships, and there are relatively few of them, and the 10000+counting orders at launch are amazing by the standards of this market given just how compact and limited-in-geographical coverage the new Jeep/fca dealer body is are exultant at the early success of their investments in FCA via Jeep (rather than FIAT), and have recieved good reviews at this early stage in the launch of the all-new dealer body, service centres as well as overall Jeep brand launch in India.

The Compass, unlike its reception in Brazil+India, seems off to a slightly surprising slowish start in china (locally made), as well as a not-large-hit-in-the-making start in Europe, though. Let's see.

It seems nearly certain that the Renegade will make it (locally manufactured, with even higher-than-compass local content) in, to and from(rhd exports) only in early 2019. FCA India sources have been reported in the serious autobusiness press in india as saying they've postponed its launch by a quarter or more, since they want the new dealer body+Mopar service operations to consolidate, improve even further, enjoy their good run, their early success, establish good reputations and.....expand a lot further before the launch of the even more astoundingly 'good value for global quality' Jeep that the Renegade promises to be, relative to the market demographics and economics in india, a 3million-sales-a-year, growing and 'premiumizing', inexpensive+small cars/suv-s market.

Morty likes this.