AF: First look: Jeep K8 or Jeep Grand Commander Discussion | Page 39 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First look: Jeep K8 or Jeep Grand Commander Discussion

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I can live with “Brotherhood of muscle”, although it does sound like something the muscle heads at the gym would say. I couldn’t stand “Boy Racer”...it reminded me of Speed Racer...and then I have to start talking like Speed Racer...and it gets really annoying for everyone around me. :p

2. Ryan

Ryan Moderator
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

You mean you'd judge me if I said "I'm a bro of muscle" cause I drive a Charger? ;)

3. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

I apologize for contributing to the off topic discussion. Let's talk about these pictures rather than Dodge.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

UN4GTBL likes this.
  4. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Mainly because you just said “bro”. :D Otherwise, carry on. :)

GasAxe and Ryan like this.
  5. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

I would never say that anyway.

As for the Grand Commander above, I love the rear view. The front is not terrible. I can handle a rear overhang more than I can front overhangs. It just looks out of proportion. I think these pictures make the overhangs look a lot smaller than they actually are.

ScramFan and Zagnut27 like this.
  6. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I’ve heard that the Chrysler version will look quite different from this, but I wonder if it’s worth doing a Chrysler rendering using this vehicle as a base? I’m just curious as to what it would look like. I waffle back and forth about Grand Commander from it being handsome to it just being ho-hum.

7. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

I feel the same way. Some days I think it looks good, most days I think it's very out of proportion. If I can find good, high-res images I will do a rendering of the Chrysler as well as a next-gen Grand Cherokee.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  8. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I look forward to seeing them...whenever. :)

Ryan likes this.
  9. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Interesting. Please make synergy of it with Chrysler BOF SUV proposal.

10. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

I found a great 4K picture of the Grand Commander to base it on. I'll try to work in cues from that sketch. I'm certainly not going to take very much inspiration from the Pacifica other than the shape of the window glass.

11. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Why would you assume any hybrid or electric technology is going to be a Chrysler differential? It isn’t exclusive to Chrysler within the FCA portfolio.

I still don’t see what is going to differentiate Chrysler other than discounts.

12. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

Again, passenger volume is going to differentiate them.

ScramFan and Deckard_Cain like this.
  13. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Passenger volume HASN’T made Durango more profitable or more successful than Grand Cherokee. So why will it work with Chrysler?

14. AlexB

AlexB Active Member

The sides do resemble the Land Cruiser.

15. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

Maybe because the styling projects a tough look rather than the upscale design of the Grand Cherokee. The Grand Cherokee is also the one that luxury buyers gravitate toward. Dodge and Chrysler aren't the same brand, so what applies to Dodge isn't necessarily going to apply to Chrysler.

Deckard_Cain and jclick like this.
  16. AlexB

AlexB Active Member

Agree, and "being more successful than Grand Cherokee" isn't the goal of either Chrysler Crossover.Really it is beating the relevant set of competitors such as the upcoming Blazer,Edge,Nissan Murano,upcoming Passport, the Pilot,Santa Fe,Traverse,Acadia,Nissan Pathfinder, Highlander.

jclick and cygnus like this.
  17. jclick

jclick Well-Known Member

GC is more profitable therefore gets more production volume. Durango has been restrained due to capacity. And as others pointed out, Dodge is not Chrysler. As a Chrysler they could've added things to charge more making it more profitable than Durango

AlexB and Deckard_Cain like this.
  18. aldo90731

I can think of a few reasons why Durango shows lower fortunes than Grand Cherokee:
    1. Grand Cherokee has been in continuous production since 1993 and has remained true to form over that time. Durango appeared in the late 1990s as an attractive BOF SUV, then it got ugly and grew in size, then disappeared; then reappeared as a unibody CUV. Dodge brand itself has morphed over time, from a Chevy and Ford mainstream competitor, to a Pontiac/performance competitor today. All of which have made it harder for Durango to establish a crystal clear reputation, and to carry over loyal customers than for Grand Cherokee
    2. Grand Cherokee has less competition as a midsize 2-row CUV. Notable competitors are Nissan Murano, Ford Edge, Lexus RX, and sometimes 4Runner. The bulk of the competition is in the 3-row space, where Durango competes against some 500-lb gorillas like Highlander, Pilot, Explorer, Traverse, Acadia, Endeavor, etc. Last time I checked, the sales ratio was 20% for 2-row/80% for 3-row.
    3. The 2-row CUV appeals to an active buyer that is in alignment with the Jeep brand. The 3-row CUV appeals to a family buyer who seeks reliability, safety and efficiency, none of which Dodge is known for.
    Not that any of this makes launching a CUV under the Chrysler name any easier.

#778 aldo90731, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    wtxiceman, UN4GTBL, Zagnut27 and 2 others like this.
  19. valiant67

valiant67 ...

But yet if Durango was in more demand and could command higher prices, the ratio would reverse. What can Chrysler add to demand higher prices? It isn’t passenger capacity or Durango wouldn’t be the one sacrificed for Jeep production. I’ve asked this many times. What will differentiate Chrysler? Styling, we can hope. But in the end it will almost certainly be that it’s discounted.

77 Monaco Brougham likes this.
  20. AlexB

AlexB Active Member

My question is do you believe Ford having two Explorers will work......basically when Ford gave Adam Jonas dinner (this time) Ford CEO reveal one Explorer that continues on its current path, while second performance Explorer (ST) that's RWD/AWD .
    Do you think maket place confusing will happen?