AF: First look: Jeep K8 or Jeep Grand Commander Discussion | Page 44 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First look: Jeep K8 or Jeep Grand Commander Discussion

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Apr 7, 2017.

1. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Since it is the universal translation language I suppose not. Every car I have rode in China has the controls in English. VW, Diamler, Jeep, Buick, Ford, Toyota ...... of course the infotainment system is native

2. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Bet its everyone they can make.... pretty sure they are capacity limited like the other ones made there .... talked to Jeep guy on the flight back I still don't know why they go through Shanghai, I suppose it one leg in China and direct to Detroit, any way he said we can make them fast enough.

AlexB and ScramFan like this.
  3. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Since I don't know much about China sales, how many units could this be?

4. AlexB

AlexB Active Member

There's a reason why Apple despite its cash pile shelved their car program....they then try to get Daimler, and BMW contract to built & develop it but the Germans weren't accepting Apple's "Terms & Conditions" to say the least;) .

"Silicon Valley" and Mercedes-Benz culture trying to develop anything would be a great reality show,a lot of popcorn would be needed:D.

5. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

I used to write software at Apple. I would not trust a car made by them. It'd keep telling you everything was fine, even as you're hanging upside-down from the seatbelt with the flames burning your hair.

6. erhemi

erhemi Well-Known Member

Are there or will there be 2 versions of this vehicle? A Commander 5 seat and a Grand Commander 7 seat? I am confused.

Adventurer55 likes this.
  7. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

The Japanese kind-of like the fact that nobody else can understand their language, and domestic Japanese buyers are fine with seeing "romaji" ("Roman-writing") on switchgear, and it's not always seen as being specifically English, just "foreign" or "technical".

Alfa Romeo actually started to label its instruments in Italian from the mid-1990s. "Olio", "Acqua", "Benzina" aren't hard to guess, especially in an instrument cluster, although on Giulia the only sign of this policy is that the rev-counter is labelled "Giri", not "RPM". Even on the ignition switch of my Giulietta, the key positions are marked with Italian abbreviations, not English ones, but then again, who ever reads those labels? Even still, many of the controls are still in English - especially the media system.

The other thing is to avoid ambiguity - while most people will have a chance of having seen the English words, and the Italian ones at least have the ring of Latin to them, it's not so obvious between other language pairs: if the Mercedes tried to do the same as Alfa, but in German, Swedes, who speak a closely-related language, would wonder why there's beer temperature gauge on their dashboard: The word "Öl" means "oil" in German, but "beer" in Swedish (the Swedish word has the same root as the English word "ale").

Mr. Fusion and GasAxe like this.
  8. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

This right here is why Allpar is the greatest website ever. I challenge anyone to show me where I can get better information to use in my daily life!:D

gforce2002 and Zagnut27 like this.
  9. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

The T&C sold well... But I don't want them to plaster the 300 face on a new SUV. I want them to launch an SUV with an evolution of that design language (look at Aviator as an example).

cygnus likes this.
  10. somber

somber 370,000 miles

Exactly why I don't understand why we don't get the ProMaster crew chassis cab here in the US. It has seats for 5 that wouldn't have to be sent back to Turkey.

11. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

Can we merge both Commander threads?

12. Ryan

Ryan Moderator
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Done.

redriderbob and UN4GTBL like this.
  13. mrkovash

mrkovash Active Member

Yeah true

14. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

I will take them replaceable in China... Just sayin when lanes a optional the furthest point on car outward tends to see frequent damage.

UN4GTBL likes this.