Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First post 88 Plymouth Grand Voyager

Discussion in 'Welcome to Allpar!' started by Billsgvoyager, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Billsgvoyager

Billsgvoyager New Member

Yesterday my girlfriend & I drove 3 hours to grab my Brandnused 88 Plymouth Grand Voyager.

Fully loaded, fake decal wood grain. 499650 kms. The van hadn't run in over 15 years.
    I plated it, it'll take an easy 6 hours to clean in and out, I'm talking scrub it.
    It comes with original wire caps and bolts to secure the caps. First purchases gas and wiper blades as it down poured. Definitely replacing the windshield, major cracks. Everything still works air and we had the cruise going. I'll do the oil change next pay day, and air filter, spark plugs.

I have plans for this beast, next year I can plate it Antique. I'm taking care of it slowly.

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  2. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Welcome to Allpar. I'd HIGHLY recommend going through the brake system. Dry rotted and shrunken seals could cost you your life.

3. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I'd replace all coolant hoses and belts as well.

4. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

Welcome, and good luck with your purchase. After sitting for 15 years, you're lucky that it still runs. In addition to the other advice, you might also drain and replace all of the fluids. One friend reported that a Chevy S10 his dad purchased started knocking at high speeds after a few years, so they had to replace the engine. The mechanic told them that crud had caked in the oil pan, so you might want to pull the oil pan and examine it. Perhaps its gasket needs replacing. Check the tires, too (including the spare); dry rot in the sidewalls might cause a blowout. More advice will doubtless be forthcoming.

5. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Definitely replace the tires. Any tire older than 10 years should be replaced. There should be a 4 digit date code on the tire (week/year). I have no doubt if the vehicle has been setting for 15 years the tires are probably showing signs of dry rot and are unsafe. If it were me, I'd replace the tires.

I agree with Scrounge - replace all fluids (coolant, oil, power steering) as well. So long as the AC is not showing any signs of leakage it should be okay. Exhaust may eventually need replacement.

Vehicles are not made to sit, but need to be driven on a somewhat regular basis.

6. Billsgvoyager

Billsgvoyager New Member

I'll be replacing the oil and filter and air filter in two weeks along with antifreeze. I'll also look at replacing the oil pan gasket first.
    I'm looking at replacing the valve cover seal as well since it's leaking.

These are the first items to be replaced, I'll be doing the brakes for sure and fuel filter.
    Lines will definitely be replaced.

Thank You all for your input, I'll be getting busy asap.

How do I post pics by the way.

7. pt006

pt006 Active Member

I don't know what engine you have, but I've had a 2.2 and a 2.5 and never had an oil pan leak. Had to replace valve cover gaskets on both of them. Use factory recommended plugs. Check the hoses behind the valve cover.

When doing the brakes, replace the calipers and the front brake hoses. They both came back to haunt me within a year or two. And while you're doing the back brakes, check the E brake cables. And spin the tires when the drums are off to check the bearings for noise. Clean and repack them if you have roller bearings.

Can you lay a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood in the back ?

8. Billsgvoyager

Billsgvoyager New Member

I'll check the engine size again. Take both back seats out I can lay 4 x 8 sheets of plywood down.

9. Billsgvoyager

Billsgvoyager New Member

i checked and it's a 3 litre.

10. peterjon1

peterjon1 Well-Known Member

Hardest thing with a 3.0 is keeping the oil on the inside of the engine:D. Also the timing belt/water pump change.

11. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter