Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First trouble in 13 years

Discussion in 'Neon' started by 71Charger_fan, Oct 4, 2017.

1. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Active Member

For the first time in over 13 years and 110,000 miles my '04 R/T gave me trouble. Suddenly, it refused to rev over 2300 rpm. After having it flatbedded home, I opened the hood and found the fault to be entirely my own for neglecting the battery connections. The positive connection sits under that plastic cover and I just hadn't looked under it for far too long. A quick cleaning of the terminals and clamps and she was fine again.
    phpBFmRGiAM.jpg phpjmDKodAM.jpg

2. 71Charger_fan

Apparently, the crusty battery was just one problem. The car did the same thing today. This time, I had it flat bedded to a garage. After driving it for a short time, the check engine light came on and it refused to rev over 2200/2300 rpm. Once it cooled down, it seemed fine again. Now I'll wait and see what the mechanics down the road find.

3. 71Charger_fan

The engine somehow jumped timing. Who knows. The garage says everything looks fine, it's just a few teeth off. No idea why it started and ran fine cold, but would quit after about 10 minutes.

4. 71Charger_fan

It cost me $477 to get it fixed, but worth it to not have to mess with getting under the timing cover myself. I kind of miss my old 2.2 liters. Those timing belts were easy to change.

5. 71Charger_fan

The only other weird problem I ever had with this was being unable to get the parking brake to hold no matter how much I adjusted it. I finally pulled the rear brakes apart and found the parking brake linings on the driver's side had disintegrated. Only the steel shoes remained. Kind of a PITA to replace, but nice to have a functioning parking brake again.

6. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

Keep on trucking....Yea those older 2.2 were a breeze to work on especcialy in the bigger K cars.

7. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Good to hear your back on the road with minimal expense.