AF: FIX THE ROADS - bad roads in Michigan need fixing, but who pays?? | Page 5 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FIX THE ROADS - bad roads in Michigan need fixing, but who pays??

Discussion in 'Off Topic But Still Civil' started by DC-93, Mar 7, 2019.

1. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

I am NOT going to complain about the Orange Barrel Brigade on I-696.....
    Good thing I don't need to travel on I-75 lately!

We complain about the roads, and also about the traffic delays caused by fixing them! :D

page2171 likes this.
  2. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

I see a LOT of activity lately, trying to beat the weather...
    And no gas tax increase, yet!

3. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?
    Level 2 Supporter

Michigan's budget was submitted last week without a gas tax increase. The governor signed it after a large amount of line-item vetoes. The gas tax hike from 2 years ago, along with the income tax funds earmarked for roads, will have to do for at least one more fiscal year.

Some roads are being repaired, and yes, they doubtless want to finish what they can before the first freeze.

4. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?
    Level 2 Supporter

U. S. 51 is deteriorating in both directions between the Kentucky state line and Dyersburg. A few sections have been resurfaced, and a construction zone is limiting traffic to one lane under a new bridge, which I hope will be I-69. But on most of it, the slow lane is pretty bad, and the fast lane is only somewhat better.

5. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?
    Level 2 Supporter

It looks like construction around Anderson has been completed, and I-69 is now 3 lanes from the Indy loop to Anderson, though I don't recall which mile marker (at least to the 226 exit). This is a major improvement from just a few years prior, when it was 3 lanes only to the 5-mile marker (or 205-mile marker since I-69 has been constructed from Evansville north). So Indiana is at least repairing and improving their roads.

6. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Living in Texas I have found them constantly doing road improvements. The problem is that they are continually improving roads with little completion.

7. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

In my immediate local area the Harry Nice Bridge which spans the Potomac River (2 miles wide) from southern Maryland into Virginia (US 301) will have a new 4 lane span beginning construction this year. It will replace the 60+ year old 2 lane span. Expected to take 3-4 years to complete. On top of that there are approved plans to modify several intersections along US 301 in our county to eliminate left turns from the side roads to improve traffic flow. I'm not in total agreement with these plans. The biggest issue for traffic flow is traffic to and from the local naval base (NSWC - Dahlgren). Traffic from both gate entrances intersect at one intersection and combined with traffic from Maryland cause extensive back ups. The real solution would be to make Rt 206 an overpass over US 301 (Rt 206 leads to one of the main entrances and "B" gate also empties traffic onto US 301, but an overpass would be very expensive. In addition to construction costs the state would have to relocate several businesses surrounding that intersection and they won't want to spend billions on one small intersection.

On top of that I-95 from south of the capitol beltway to Fredericksburg has several proposed projects coming in the next few years and US 301 is being advertised as an alternate route.

Long ago there was a proposal to make US 301 an interstate (I-97) from Annapolis to Richmond, but it was opposed by many residents. It won't happen now as several population centers of built up along US 301 through southern MD and into Virginia.

8. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?
    Level 2 Supporter

It's been some time since I've taken I-35, but I can report that the widening of U. S. 79 to 4-lane divided west of Palestine has been completed for about 2 years.

9. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Due to C-19, a lot of future projects are on hold.

10. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?
    Level 2 Supporter

Last month, when I came up I-75 from Toledo, it was under construction for about the first 6 miles. When I headed back down, the construction zone had moved up to the 15 mile marker. Good -- that section was getting pretty bad. I decided to avoid it this trip, and came up U.S. 23 instead, but that road needs fixing, too. And I noticed that too many of the overpasses are deteriorating. Most of them have screens to keep the cement chips from falling down on traffic, but a more permanent solution is needed.

DC-93 likes this.
  11. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

It seems that stretch of I-75 has been under construction the last 20 years. I’ll go over to US-23 just to avoid Detroit and that rough stretch to Toledo when I head south.

DC-93 likes this.
  12. Doug D

Not here. MD has started to work on building a replacement for the Harry W. Nice bridge that connects southern MD to the northern neck of VA (US 301). Expected to take three years to complete the new span. The old span will then be removed.

13. valiant67

valiant67 ...

If you live in the north, you will always see road construction because the salt and the freeze/thaw cycles destroy the roads.
    If you live in the south, you will always see road construction because everyone from up north is moving south and more road capacity is needed.

14. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

You don’t have over 5,000 dead and over 52,000 cases either of Covid 19.

15. Doug D

My relatives in PA always said "There are two seasons, Winter and Construction."

DC-93 likes this.
  16. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?
    Level 2 Supporter

True enough about salt/freeze/thaw. Additionally in Michigan, trucks are allowed to haul about twice the weight that other states do.

Yes, there's construction in the south, but it's usually better coordinated so as to allow alternate routes. Also, because the weather is generally warmer longer, more roads can be repaired during the year. They don't have to be crammed into a shorter season like they do in Michigan.

DC-93 likes this.
  17. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?
    Level 2 Supporter

I-75 coming out of Toledo has apparently been replaced with concrete on the northbound side for about the first 5 miles. Southbound traffic is rerouted to the northbound side, making 2 lanes each way, but it's almost a new road. The northbound side looks like it's being destroyed to be replaced, hopefully also with concrete. Construction in Monroe, from about the 13 to 15 mile marker, also has traffic reduced to 2 lanes each on the northbound side. Too difficult to see what's going on there, but there's at least one bridge over a river, so maybe that's being upgraded, too. In both locations, crews were working when I drove through during the afternoon. In between, there's no longer a construction zone, as it looks like some bad spots were patched over. On the northbound side, it's not as rough as it was, but it's not completely smooth, either. The fast lane seems to be in the best condition, the middle in the worst. The expressway seems relatively new from the 15 mile marker to the I-275 exit.

In nearby states, U.S. 24 for the first several miles coming out of the loop in Fort Wayne, Indiana is due for resurfacing. That's an older asphalt section which apparently wasn't replaced when the rest of the road was widened to the Toledo loop. There are also a few spots in Ohio near Defiance where the right lane on the eastbound side could use some patching.

DC-93 likes this.
  18. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

Gets pretty cold in Colorado yet their roads and e-ways are much smoother than ours here in Michigan.
    Other cold weather states seem to do much better than us. Not to mention northern European highways.

DC-93 likes this.